Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

980: J.Thompson show - Vinnie, BDW, and B.Owens

All In

They are going to be interviewed. I know, I know, I've volunteered for the wrap up.

Doc Walker thinks we'll be fine, and assumes as we do that they are now going to take care of Champ which he is absolutely in aggreance with the move the 'Skins made.

Vinnie will be on around 3:45pm to answer questions. I'll try to get what I can.

www.sportstalk980.com for those who want to listen.

Cerrato:

Hard day to let go a guy who could help us. Thought we offered a fair deal to him that offered him a deal that he could have gotten his money back if he averaged the playing time he's averaged over the last five years.

Offered him a $2 million base and $1.5 million in incentives tied to his normal playing time the last five years. We just wanted to put something in there too that he'd have something to shoot for and he'd continue to work and reach for those levels.

Walker says dead money is close to $4 million next year.

Cerrato says: The money saved will be put to sign a Champ Bailey this year.

Big Daddy had 17 tackles and was the highest paid player. Being the highest paid means he should be the most productive. We thought it wasn't asking too much to ask him to play to that level.

Have an opportunity to look at some other guys we have now.

We feel Haley (might be productive) and we have an opportunity to evaluate players now who can do the job.

Also, we have left the offer on the table to Big Daddy. If he can't get what he wants out there he can come back here because he knows what we've offered him. Like if someone offers him the minimum salary he can come back here for the offer we've offered him.

Haley, Cowsette, B. Jackson, etc., is an opportunity for these guys. Also looking for any guy who is out there who could upgrade any spot on the line. Would even consider giving up a draft pick if that's what it would take.

Snyder will address Champ when he feels the time is right. Focusing now on trying to win football games. When time is right Snyder will sit with Champ's agent and do what he can.

Extremely confident in Patrick. Waht we did in the offseason since he's a young guy is to surround him with guys who can go make plays. He's like an assist guy. A point guard. Just get it to the playmakers and don't turn it over. If something happens to him we have Rob Johnson in the who won games for Tampa last year.

The differences were the incentives to get his money back. Based on playing time percentages, staying healthy and playing games. Actually sounds fair, stay healthy stay in the lineup and you get paid. BDW being the highest paid player should be playing at that level, but they gave him the opportunity to get all his salary if he stayed healthy. Not just all the games or nothing, but structured steps based on perscentages.

Vinnie mentioned the freeing up of money for say Champ Bailey. They have guys on the roster that they want to look at. Young guys that have been through the whole off season workouts.

HE did mention leaving the offer on the table for Big Daddy if he can't find what he wants in FA. So the door swings both ways.

Vinnie sounds excited to see what the young guys have to offer. Could get a vet who gets realeased or give up a late draft pick if necessary after taking a look at the depth.

When the time is right, Mr. Snyder will talk with Champ's agent. No immediate indication of talks starting up. Vinnie also feels confident in Patrick and that with the additions he doesn't need to do it all himself. No need to go out and win the games, but more of an assist guy. They've added playmakers.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think they are going to sign any FA unless it's for Vet Min. DT is as is for now. BDW can look around and even come back if that's what he decides, of course that depends if the team wants him back also. Vinnie sounded like he knew what he was doing! Get off his back.

Archived