Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Helmet-free practices in NFL's future?

terrifNick21

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/17/helmet-free-practices-in-nfls-future/

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 17, 2009 7:07 PM ET

As the NFL continues to grapple with stories of former players living with long-term brain damage, there's a new proposal being discussed that would reduce the number of head-on collisions that players experience: Start practicing without helmets.

Jason La Canfora of NFL Network reports that John Madden, in his new role as an adviser to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, is regularly leading conference calls with a group of coaches to discuss ways to make the NFL safer, and one of the recommendations has been practicing without helmets.

The group of coaches Madden has regular discussions with -- Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, Eagles coach Andy Reid, Chargers coach Norv Turner, 49ers coach Mike Singletary and former coach Mike Holmgren -- have spoken about how they could make practices safer for players by taking the helmets off.

For his part, Madden -- an old-school coach of the 1970s -- has a hard time picturing an NFL practice without helmets. But he says the coaches of today aren't ruling it out.

"It seems a little far-fetched," Madden said, "but it's something the coaches have been talking about."

Madden, who also wants to see rules limiting off-season work, eliminating wedges on kickoff returns and eradicating hits on defenseless players, said he's enjoying his role as an adviser to the commissioner because he believes Goodell is dedicated to improving the game by making it safer.

"He's very interested in this, pushing safety, not only concussions, but the whole safety of the game, making sure it's played right, which I appreciate," Madden said. "And it's one of the reasons I'm involved. I know the things we believe in and the things we stand for are the same things the Commissioner stands for."

Pretty interesting idea. I'm not sure if it'd really make a big difference, though. Haven't heard about many players getting concussions in practice.

I don't think it would make a difference. I read somewhere that once the season begins there's little tackling during practice anyways to prevent further damage than the usual wear and tear. That's why you always hear about injuries during training camp and preseason but rarely during regular season practices.

I think some of you are missing the point somewhat- or at least not considering all angles. For the most part players play like they practice.

So, if at practice you're running around without a helmet all week, chances are you're not going to instinctively lead with your helmet on Sunday.

I'm not sure if it will work, but it isn't a bad idea. I've said for a long time now that the more pads these guys wear the more dangerous the game becomes. Players have a complete disregard for their bodies... back in the leather helmet days you didn't see guys spearing the way they do today

Also, I've often wondered why they don't consider padding the OUTSIDE of the helmets.

Something missed here isn't just acclimating players to not leading with helmets but the much more important research which seems to indicate that it's not concussion that is causing long-term damage but the accumulated effects of non-concussive hits sustained in practice (and in games over the course of seasons of work.) Basically, I think they're saying that this will reduce those non-concussive high force hits and thus spare players some of the cumulative damage currently being caused.

Something missed here isn't just acclimating players to not leading with helmets but the much more important research which seems to indicate that it's not concussion that is causing long-term damage but the accumulated effects of non-concussive hits sustained in practice (and in games over the course of seasons of work.) Basically, I think they're saying that this will reduce those non-concussive high force hits and thus spare players some of the cumulative damage currently being caused.

Good point. Hence the reason that there is also concern about soccer players (especially youth) constantly heading the ball. Most don't even pay attention to it, but they are consistent blows to the head that and their overall effect is more difficult to measure than identified concussive events.

Archived