Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Obama must rethink rethinking Afghanistan

nonniey

A fairly non partisan article (imo), that again alludes to the weakness of the President (again imo).

"......The long debate has made Obama look indecisive and uncertain -- because he has been. And the leaks of conflicting positions have given his critics ammunition for the postmortem debate over any decision he makes. If Obama chooses to go small, hawks will accuse him of ignoring the advice of his own military commander, Army Gen. Stanley A. McChrystal, who asked for 40,000 additional troops. If he goes big, doves will accuse him of ignoring the advice of Ambassador Eikenberry, who said the additional troops wouldn't do much good...........

Click Link for full article

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oe-mcmanus15-2009nov15,0,381782.column

Yeah, You look indecisive by taking some time to think about the mission. A strong president would just commit 20,000 troops and then leave it up to the next guy 8 years latter to figure out if they should be there, what they can accomplish, and whether that's what we want to do as a nation.

Obama should just fire generals who disagree with him, and leave the 20k troop levels and proclaim Afghanistan is doing great...

Obama's such a wuss. Being Rational isn't macho.

Yeah, You look indecisive by taking some time to think about the mission. A strong president would just commit 20,000 troops and then leave it up to the next guy 8 years latter to figure out if they should be there, what they can accomplish, and whether that's what we want to do as a nation.

Obama should just fire generals who disagree with him, and leave the 20k troop levels and proclaim Afghanistan is doing great...

Obama's such a wuss. Being Rational isn't macho.

Your response indicates you didn't read the article.

I just can't believe that he had three months to consider the plan and then said that he needed to know the conditions to withdrawal. This just proves to me that he wasn't really even thinking over the proposals for three months because I would have asked for those things right at the beginning. This is terrible leadership.

So, your point is that no matter what Obama does, he's going to be attacked. And in your opinion, this says something bad about Obama?

If he is needlessly delaying a choice...YES

But in the end, he still has to make a choice. When Obama launched this review of his strategy in Afghanistan, it was a good thing. But the longer it goes on, the more costly it becomes.

Nature,War and Leadership abhor a vacuum.

Leading is tough and certainly will be second guessed by all sides.

Your point is that some other part of the article is more relevant to your point than the part you quoted?

Larry, simply put his indecisiveness will allow him to be attacked no matter what his decision and being indicisive definately says something bad about Obama. I believe he is a weak president and all indications since he took office support that belief.

This "nonpartisan" article says that delaying is making Obama look like he is suffering from indecision.

I read another "nonpartisan" article several days ago that said this is a deliberate strategy by Obama to send a strong message to Afgan leadership.

And so it goes.

This "nonpartisan" article says that delaying is making Obama look like he is suffering from indecision.

I read another "nonpartisan" article several days ago that said this is a deliberate strategy by Obama to send a strong message to Afgan leadership.

And so it goes.

I said it was "fairly" non-partisan. It still is critical of the President but it also defends his initial "dithering" among other things (ie it has give and take both pro and con on the President).

I said it was "fairly" non-partisan. It still is critical of the President but it also defends his initial "dithering" among other things (ie it has give and take both pro and con on the President).

The article has a subheading:

"His strategy deliberations are starting to look like dangerous indecision."

This does not strike me as a non-partisan subheading.

Also note that the article does not account for the possibility of this being a deliberate delay. Excluding such obvious possibility is suspicious.

Maybe you have a different opinion of what it means to be non-partisan.

The article has a subheading:

"His strategy deliberations are starting to look like dangerous indecision."

This does not strike me as a non-partisan subheading.

Also note that the article does not account for the possibility of this being a deliberate delay. Excluding such obvious possibility is suspicious.

Maybe you have a different opinion of what it means to be non-partisan.

What part "fairly" don't you understand? Used in this connetation it means moderately, such as not completely critical.

If this is a deliberate delay why not declare it as such publicly?

If the delay is deliberate, then obviously it is important to create a sense of uncertainty.

Next week maybe I'll tell you the reason why bluffs are not declared openly in poker :D

What part "fairly" don't you understand? Used in this connetation it means moderately, such as not completely critical.

I think that an attempt to be non-partisan is a necessary component to constitute something as "fairly non-partisan". I believe that I supplied evidence to show that such attempt was not made.

Obviously you can think that an attempt to be non-partisan was made, or that such attempt is not necessary for the "fairly non-partisan" classification. I would not agree with that, and that's ok. Not much to discuss here.

If the delay is deliberate, then obviously it is important to create a sense of uncertainty.

Next week maybe I'll tell you the reason why bluffs are not declared openly in poker :D

So it is a bluff since he does not have the stones to call Kahzi on it?

Bluff my god dammed ass

Added

The uncertainty is harming both morale and the mission not Karzai

So it is a bluff since he does not have the stones to call Kahzi on it?

Not sure what this means. Bluff was just an example.

The uncertainty is harming both morale and the mission not Karzai

We can argue whether the delay was a choice, and we can argue about it's effects.

The first one has an answer, but we will probably never know it for sure.

The second one has infinte possible answers, and we will definitely never know for sure.

McManus doesn't have partisan credentials. He seems to be one of the most credible sources of opinion pieces I've seen posted on the forum.

http://www.pbs.org/weta/washingtonweek/aroundthetable/mcmanus.html

Doyle McManus, Columnist for the Los Angeles Times, has reported for more than 30 years on national and international issues from Washington, the Middle East and Europe, and has covered every presidential election campaign since 1984. As the former Washington Bureau Chief, the bureau he lead was been widely recognized as one of Washington's best news operations, with four Pulitzer Prize winners among its 40 reporters and editors.

McManus is a four-time winner of the National Press Club's Edwin Hood Award for reporting on U.S. foreign policy, most recently in 2004 for articles on the occupation of Iraq. He has also won Georgetown University's Weintal Prize for coverage of foreign affairs.

He is author or coauthor of three books including Landslide: The Unmaking of the President 1984-88, a bestseller named by The New York Times as one of the most notable books of 1988. He appears frequently on PBS's ''Washington Week,'' CBS's "Face the Nation" and NPR's ''Weekend Edition Sunday.''

Archived