Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fred Davis and the Working Vacation...

JMUGator19

I am very surprised at how much kudos this kid is getting for not taking the bye week to relax and vacay...

Its something I think is a major problem/trend/tumor... Think about your first opportunity as an Intern, or your first job. You probably worked 8 hours a day minimum and often went above and beyond the call of duty the first year... Did you guys take a vacation? Did you guys even take extra days off your first year?

For someone who has proven nothing It is astounding that he hasnt been putting in the extra hours after practice with the TE coach to go over fundamentals. Heck, what about last year's bye? Last summer?

All I hear about the up and coming players like Matt Ryan, or the greats like Tom Brady is how much EXTRA time they put into their work, above and beyond the rest and required.

Everyone is talented in this league. Why do we have the laziest team? Why did it take 5 or 6 years for JC to force his WRs to practice with him in the summer? Why does the Redskins continually draft people who do not have that extra will power and drive to succeed.

Seriously, just draft people who are dedicated, professional, driven, ambitious and will put in that extra hour or week into their work!

I would rather have the london fletchers, Matt Ryans, etcr etcr than the talented lazy players, even if they have certain flaws like being short, slow, weak.

I just feel like people have become complacent in the organization. OK with just walking in and doing their 9-5 time and punching out. and then they complain that they arnt succeeding!

Maybe we arnt THAT much less talented. Just THAT much less driven. Maybe we have become so complacent that year after year we slipped more and more until we found ourselves where we are.

People shouldnt be PRAISING Fred Davis, they should be copying him!

Give a shout out if you see the same thing that I see.

HAIL

:logo:

I agree with you. He should have been working on his blocking since the first day he got here and not try to cram blocking 101 like it is some exam. I blame the coaches even more so for not insisting he do the extra work needed so he could be an effective blocker and not have to try to get it all done in less than 2 weeks. True depth on a team is when the backups can step in for an injured player and there is no skipped heartbeat. Unfortunately what we saw last week with his feeble blocking attempts cannot be fixed by a cram course.

You know this is the way its supposed to be with good teams

Good teams have Fred Davis type of player waiting in the wings when their starters are out and then in a couple of years a good team would trade Cooley to the raiders for a 2nd or 1st round pick. I wish the skins would just stick to the draft and just develop players instead of getting everything through free agency.

"Practice....we talkin' 'bout practice"..........I commend his efforts, kids has the chance of a lifetime. kind of a no lose situation. I wonder if he got after it this good in the off season. I see video of him catching balls, I would rather see video of him figuring our some blocking assignments. But, with that said, it would be great to see some of tho others there. God knows Thomas and Kelly need the work and lots of it.

Great post. You've hit on one of the major cultural problems with this organization. Many of the players come here with a chip on their shoulder and a sense of entitlement. The only way to fix this is to tear down the current program and build it back up the right way.

To do that, we need football men running the show, a strong coaching staff, players who are vocal and natural leaders, and a group of quality young players who are respectful and accountable.

I think much of this can be fixed in one off-season if the new GM or VP in charge can establish this new organizational philosophy. The rest can fall into place over time.

You know if we got players that are nobody's they would play and practice everyday to make themselves somebody.

But the redskins mostly get people who are already somebody and don't have anything to prove so they don't think they need to practice.

I'm confused with what message you're trying to give.

I am very surprised at how much kudos this kid is getting for not taking the bye week to relax and vacay...

So you're saying that you think he should receive less kudos for training over the bye?

For someone who has proven nothing It is astounding that he hasnt been putting in the extra hours after practice with the TE coach to go over fundamentals. Heck, what about last year's bye? Last summer?

Now you're saying he's not training with the TE coach?

People shouldnt be PRAISING Fred Davis, they should be copying him!

People are praising Davis, but instead should copy him. Copy what? Him training over the bye or not training with his TE coach?

Seriously... I'm severely confused.

So you're saying that you think he should receive less kudos for training over the bye?

He shouldn't get any kudos for improving himself. We percieve him as going beyond his duty when we shouldnt. Any real professional improves themselves during their free time. Especially highly paid professionals like accountants, lawyers, doctors. They all go home and read up on the latests developements in their field. So should he. You don't get paid millions to punch in and punch out, this isnt McDonalds.

Now you're saying he's not training with the TE coach?

He is training THIS bye week. But he wasn't last year. He didnt bother to do the blocking 101 schoolwork last summer. The week before you start your first NFL game is NOT the time to be learning fundamentals. He should be past that point by year 2. Period.

People are praising Davis, but instead should copy him. Copy what? Him training over the bye or not training with his TE coach?

Copy his training over the bye week. Every free break they get they should be spending wisely. They should be consulting with their positional coaches during all their "vacations". Heres an example. Matt Ryan, after the falcons were oficially eliminated from the playoffs last year, went straight to the game tape to evaluate himself. He didnt wait a week, a month or till minicamps to go over his work. He realized that the only way he can improve is if he takes the extra step that others in the league (like our young WRs) choose not to take.

Fred Davis is getting praised for what he SHOULD be doing, and unfortunately no one else is even bothering to copy him. I understand a few of our veterans like London are working hard at their craft, but their era is coming to a close. They have already peaked, and are working on maintanance. We have no "learners" on our team and I am hoping that at LEAST Orakpo will prove to be a learner. unfortunately I get the impression that he is clever and learns SMART but I do NOT get the impression that he puts the kind of work that REAL PROFESSIONALS DO.

Reflect on your own lives, your own strugges, your own effort. These people are supposed to be the best, and most competitive at their craft. All I see is a squad of underachieving lazy players.

Stop treating the Redskins like a punch in and punch out job. I do not believe we have the most talented bunch in the first place. To not be the hardest working makes it even worse.

Given how we've performed this year, I'm not 100% sold that this is Davis's fault. LEadership can inspire, or hold players to account, yet our players seldom seem to be held account. ARE fumbled a punt, and was awful, yet he's still going to be the primary returner. If there are no consequences for mistakes, why would anyone put more time in than they had to?

I think the problem with Davis, Kelly, and THomas, is about coaching, not the players, that's why I still want Zorn Fired.

Great post. You've hit on one of the major cultural problems with this organization. Many of the players come here with a chip on their shoulder and a sense of entitlement. The only way to fix this is to tear down the current program and build it back up the right way.

To do that, we need football men running the show, a strong coaching staff, players who are vocal and natural leaders, and a group of quality young players who are respectful and accountable.

I think much of this can be fixed in one off-season if the new GM or VP in charge can establish this new organizational philosophy. The rest can fall into place over time.

exactly ... and it doesn't help to have a coach who has "0" experience as a HC. We need a GM and a HC with credibility (preferably a SB ring on their finger) ... someone that demands respect and will let the vets (who are buddy-buddy with Danny) know that no one is safe ... every position is open to competition and that if they don't like it or fall in line they can leave or ride the pine.

Like you said, this sense of entitlement comes from the FA's who we have brought in here over the years and paid a ridiculous amount of money. Salary should not dictate seniority, authority and leadership on the team. They are hired mercenaries, not loyalists.

Dan needs to not only step away from meddling in the personnel and football related decisions involving building the roster (other than the financial aspect of it). It's ok to have personal relationships with your players, on the side ... but when you don't back your HC and give them full authority, you undermine your entire team and organization.

I wonder if Dan thinks that winning a couple games, and maybe going on a win streak to get us back to around .500 is the answer? Because it is not ... a few wins WILL NOT make up for the last 10 years of FO debauchery and arrogance.

Hail!

Archived