Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What a pleasure to watch Brees and Ryan last night.

TimmySmith

Falcons got a defensive TD. They scored 20 points on offense, which isn't much better than we have been getting. Besides that, the Saints defense is just okay. They are the best team in the NFL because of their offense, which is something you can't take into account when judging Matt Ryan's game.

He had a bad game, that's all there is to it.

-Saints defense is OK? Do you watch football in 2009? They were bad last year but have an insane turnaround.

their D gives up yards but they get lots of turnovers and defensive points. sharper has 3 pick 6s, and they had another guy nab one last night.

their defense is putting up almost as many points as our offense. lol

Their D has more TDs than the Browns O this year :hysterical:

Don't get me wrong, I love Matt Ryan. He had a bad game, though. The only reason they had a chance at the end was because of the Saints being stupid (not wrapping the ball up and letting the onside kick bounce away).
I hear you. And I am not making excuses. He just played strong in a very hostile environment. Handling adversity is a measure of a good QB and Ryan did not alter his game a bit, even after a couple of mistakes.

roddy white is lucky he didnt get called for a push off on his TD pass.

but turner gets more credit, he had a great game.

Roddy White was making catches all over the place. I remember quite a few catches he made on not so accurate passes. He was on fire last night.

I found it depressing, all the talk from the commentators about how the Saints came to have all that talent, all those weapons. Undrafted free agents, draft pics, free agents, etc. Just building a team by a GM who understands depth and a team that knows how to develop players into a team.
Don't worry, the Saints have been miserable and a laughing stock for decades.

Everyone gets theirs eventually.

I am fearful that the Saints are going to put up sixty points against us, but it will be something to see a team like that in person.
Last time we thought that, we upset them in NO.

Though with Gregg Williams there... I think you're right.

I hear you. And I am not making excuses. He just played strong in a very hostile environment. Handling adversity is a measure of a good QB and Ryan did not alter his game a bit, even after a couple of mistakes.

It would be nice to see JC with some fire, that's for sure.

Have you?

Saints D is...

20th in points allowed

15th in yards allowed

17th against the pass

11th against the run

Sounds just okay to me.

-They also have the most interceptions and defensive touchdowns, but hey who cares about that... Your cherry-picked stats don't mean much, and show that you fail to look at the whole picture.. You don't think the Saints high-flying passing attack which forces teams to try to gain yardage against them contributes to those defensive statistics at all do you? Or the amount of yards they have given up in garbage time, off the top of my head I can think of a bomb to Hakeem Nicks in the g-men game

What I began noticing last night, is this notion that our line is the worst in the league is completely off... Note very QB in the league has 5 seconds to throw the ball like Eli and Brady, if you watched Brees/Ryan last night they would do there drop back, then either step up, roll out, or get rid of the ball... It wasn't as if they were standing in some pocket all day, they felt the pressure and did something about it.. Rather than just standing there holding the ball at there waist

THANK YOU.

I'm glad I'm not the only on who saw that. Brees has that ball out so fast it doesn't even matter if there is pressure. Ryan is not as good at it as Brees but he is still worlds above our QB. Campbell would have been killed behind either one of those lines last night.

-They also have the most interceptions and defensive touchdowns, but hey who cares about that... Your cherry-picked stats don't mean much, and show that you fail to look at the whole picture.. You don't think the Saints high-flying passing attack which forces teams to try to gain yardage against them contributes to those defensive statistics at all do you? Or the amount of yards they have given up in garbage time, off the top of my head I can think of a bomb to Hakeem Nicks in the g-men game

I didn't cherry pick stats; I took ALL FOUR of the major defensive numbers by which defenses are measured.

Their defense is pedestrian. If you want to talk about garbage time, three of their interceptions are garbage INTs from hail marys. It goes both ways.

I didn't cherry pick stats; I took ALL FOUR of the major defensive numbers by which defenses are measured.

Their defense is pedestrian. If you want to talk about garbage time, three of their interceptions are garbage INTs from hail marys. It goes both ways.

Their defense is strong and makes plays when necessary. No they are not the 2000 Ravens but for crying out loud with that offense you only need a pedestrian defense to be successful. They have proven that.

Their defense is strong and makes plays when necessary. No they are not the 2000 Ravens but for crying out loud with that offense you only need a pedestrian defense to be successful. They have proven that.

That's precisely my point. It's an average defense with one of the best offenses of all time.

They score 39 points per game and lead the league in offense.

Obviously the yardage and points allowed stats are going to be heavily skewed.

They score 39 points per game and lead the league in offense.

Obviously the yardage and points allowed stats are going to be heavily skewed.

The type offense they play is certainly perfect for Greg Williams defense. He gets to lay back and give up gobs of yards while waiting for a play. They almost play 45 minutes of prevent. "Heavily skewed" may be an understatement.

QB'S NEED OLINES TO GROW INTO BEING A GOOD QB. Look at Brees. Look at Ryan. Brees needed time to grow. Ryan came into a good Oline with Good Running. WE DO NOT HAVE A GOOD OLINE. Put those guys behind our OLINE and you get brees getting stripped for 6 EVERY OTHER PLAY.

QB'S NEED OLINES TO GROW INTO BEING A GOOD QB. Look at Brees. Look at Ryan. Brees needed time to grow. Ryan came into a good Oline with Good Running. WE DO NOT HAVE A GOOD OLINE. Put those guys behind our OLINE and you get brees getting stripped for 6 EVERY OTHER PLAY.
Put Jason behind their line and either team would have our record! Both those QB's were laid out last night, and under pressure the entire night. Brees did fumble for a TD, while Ryan threw a pick for 6. But both came back and showcased talent, something Jason doesn't have. The BUM is nothing but excuses!

Again, from the other thread.
New Orleans Saints Sacks Allowed:

2001 - 50

2002 - 36

2003 - 36

2004 - 41

2005 - 41

2006 - 23

2007 - 16

2008 - 13

5 of those sacks in 2006 weren't even on Drew Brees.

I'm not saying rebuilding their offensive line didn't help things, but clearly they didn't drastically turn around their line in one season. And to be honest, they have sort of a patchwork O-Line with players in and out over the last 3 years.

And no, Drew Brees did not turn around his career because the Chargers rebuilt their offensive line either. His protection was fine, LT was running amok, he just flat out sucked.

Put Jason behind their line and either team would have our record! Both those QB's were laid out last night, and Brees did fumble for a TD, while Ryan threw a pick for 6. But both came back and showcased talent, something Jason doesn't have. The BUM is nothing but excuses!

Saints and Falcons line = Redskins line? Dude just don't post anymore. :laugh:

It's a breath of fresh air to see what real QB's can do for their teams, even under much pressure and blitzes. Real NFL quarterbacks need no excuses!

Yes indeed. I really can't believe anyone could watch that game last night and think Brees played so well simply because of his o-line. There was pressure on almost every play and it didn't even matter. Campbell would have been destroyed behind the Saints' line.

Wish our OL was watching, see how to protect a QB for more than 2 seconds.

It's funny. Your monomaniacal obsession with the FO (which is the real reason for the OL criticism) cancels out the ability for you to evaluate the QB play you see in front of you. It undercuts your argument against the FO if it's really the QB. I guess I do it too, except I watch the games and I see guys get pressured and make good decisions IN SPITE Of pressure, while our guy can't make good decisions in any case.

It's not that OL isn't a problem but it was much less of one before Chris got hurt and Jason was still an issue. ANd he was an issue last year as well.

There are no Hogs 91, anywhere in the league. Probably won't be again, in spite of the fact that the rules changes favor the passing game, the game is just different now.

Basically, my monomania>your monomania.

Archived