Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WPC: Midseason Grades: Jason Campbell

JimmiJo

and he led the NFL in fewest turnovers..... didn't have any until????

the OL started having injuries.

most of his fumbles are directly linked to getting hit due to poor OL play.

take Monday, his int was off a tip, because Montgomery allowed his man on a 3 step drop push him into JC, and getting his hands up as JC threw the ball, the fumble lost was when JC was forced out of the pocket and hit from behind when trying to pass, if Heyer had stayed with his man JC would have gotten the pass off.

The last fumble was on Rabach.

take the OL problems away most of his turnovers don't happen, he is still #1 in int per att. ratio in NFL history. Campbell has always been safe with the football

So blame everyone else but the person fumbling the ball. Typical. :doh:

Campbell has NOT always been safe with the ball. The only time Campbell has been safe with the ball was the first half of last year. He has had a problem with ball security since he came into the league. How many fumbles did he have in 07 before he got hurt?? 13 fumbles and 11 interceptions.

You use pressure as an excuse for his turnovers which is a valid excuse for a guy who produces points. Which is something Campbell has never done.

To put his problems in to prospective, Aaron Rodgers has been sacked 31 times this season, fumbled 4 times, lost 2. Campbell has been sacked 20 times, fumbled 10 times, lost 4. How can you even argue with stats like this?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CampJa00.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RodgAa00.htm

The only way JC stood a chance of getting the ball to Cooley would have been if he had been looking for him before he completed his drop. Count 1, 2 to yourself. OMG, you're already on the ground!
That is precisely my point. :)

The second Jason see's the blitz up the middle he should be thinking about attacking the weakness of the defense:

(Forgive the paint shop pictures)

2.jpg?t=1257216717

And hit Cooley in stride:

3.jpg?t=1257216766

There are two sides to every story. Jason is at fault on this play, as much as the O-line.

The bigger picture is that even if the play is executed perfectly and Jason hits Santana, we have a 10 yard curl at best. If Jason hits Cooley in stride then its a potential footrace up the field which could result in a huge play. One big problem with our offense is that it lacks big plays and its not always the line not giving Jason enough time to hit a deep completion.

That is precisely my point. :)

The second Jason see's the blitz up the middle he should be thinking about attacking the weakness of the defense:

(Forgive the paint shop pictures)

2.jpg?t=1257216717

And hit Cooley in stride:

3.jpg?t=1257216766

There are two sides to every story. Jason is at fault on this play, as much as the O-line.

If Jason hits Cooley in stride then its a potential footrace up the field which could result in a huge play. One big problem with our offense is that it lacks big plays and its not always the line not giving Jason enough time to hit a deep completion.

I think you reading this play incorrectly

The Eagles mix coverages and use zone-dogs and fire-zone blitzes so it hard to anticipate pre-snap where the defenders will be

With the benefit of knowing the result of the play its easy to sit here and say JC should have audibled Cooley into an option route that reads the coverage and either goes up the seam or slants across into the vacated space of the blitzer and away from the underneath coverage

But on this play Cooley is running a hook or quick hitch JC can't hit him in stride because his as you can see Cooley route is bringing him to stop and JC arm is already in motion, also there is a defender underneath the route

Now if Cooley were running a slant or a drag and continued his route across the field JC could havethrown a pass leading him to that spot,

that is why i hate routes that have receivers stop there momentum and hook-up it makes them to easy to cover

With 10 fumbles on top of 7 int's and only 8 TD's I would argue that Campbell will cost you games. But other than that I thought the assessment was spot on.

Agree with what you said.

Jason is a BUST. Folks lets get real. We trade up to draft Jason and gave up 3 valuable picks a 1st rounder, a 3rd rounder, and a 4th rounder. And, for all that investment he is not by any stretch of the imagination a franchise QB.

No QB has perfect protection all of the time. Drew, Matt, Joe, Tom all make play with their feet, arm, and most importantly their head (intellect).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVdTKdUIOM8

I see this video, and I do see Campbell hesitate. He has Thomas who appears to have nobody within 5 yards of him to the right, he lifts his arm up, hesitates a bit, then throws. If he would have let it go to Thomas or on time to Moss, which means when he originally left his arm up, we wouldn't be talking about an INT. A decent QB lets go of the ball when the timing indicates.

yes, probably worse

Rodgers sacks are more his fault than the OL.

did you watch the game yesterday? Aikman pointed out over and over Rodgers was taking useless sacks, when he shouldn't.... even his coach said most of his sacks are on first and 2nd down, that shouldn't happen unless the QB is taking sacks instead of running or throw it away. and that of those sacks all but 2 were Rodgers fault, and more than 2/3 of all his sacks are AR's fault, and almost half of his sacks are in 2 games against the Vikings (14 of 31)

I remembers Jaws saying the same thing during the 1st Packer vs Vikes game also.

They made a point to mention it.

Maybe Rodgers holds on to the ball and gets sacked a few time more than he should. But whats the reason for Campbell fumbling twice as many times than Rodgers when Campbell has been sacked 11 less times?? His ball security is horrendous and he has no sense of pressure in the pocket.

Maybe Rodgers holds on to the ball and gets sacked a few time more than he should. But whats the reason for Campbell fumbling twice as many times than Rodgers when Campbell has been sacked 11 less times?? His ball security is horrendous and he has no sense of pressure in the pocket.

I posted this a few pages back in this thread but I think it bears repeating. A comparison of Rodgers and JC's stats this year...

Rodgers is throwing for 284 yards/game compared to JC's 211. Rodgers has 1,989 yards. JC has over 500 less, at 1,481.

Rodgers has 14 TD's to JC's 8, which by the way is more TD's halfway through the season then JC has ever thrown in an entire season in his career. By the way, Rodgers chucked 28 last year in his 1st year as the starter.

Rodgers has 2 int's. JC has over 3 times that many, 7.

Rodgers has 2 lost fumbles. JC has 3. And JC has twice the amount of total fumbles as Rodgers despite Rodgers getting sacked 11 more times.

Rodgers TD to turnover ratio: 14:4, or 3+ TD's per turnover.

JC's TD to turnover ratio: 8:10, or .8 TD's per turnover.

Rodgers has 27 completions over 20+ yards, almost twice JC's 15.

Rodgers also has 9 completions over 40+ yards, over four times JC's 2.

Rodgers QB rating is 110 compared to JC's 85.

The only stat where they are comparable is completion percentage. Rodgers 65.3% and JC 66%.

His ball security has been poor.

He's gotta tighten that up.

I posted this a few pages back in this thread but I think it bears repeating. A comparison of Rodgers and JC's stats this year...

Rodgers is throwing for 284 yards/game compared to JC's 211. Rodgers has 1,989 yards. JC has over 500 less, at 1,481.

Rodgers has 14 TD's to JC's 8, which by the way is more TD's halfway through the season then JC has ever thrown in an entire season in his career. By the way, Rodgers chucked 28 last year in his 1st year as the starter.

Rodgers has 2 int's. JC has over 3 times that many, 7.

Rodgers has 2 lost fumbles. JC has 3. And JC has twice the amount of total fumbles as Rodgers despite Rodgers getting sacked 11 more times.

Rodgers TD to turnover ratio: 14:4, or 3+ TD's per turnover.

JC's TD to turnover ratio: 8:10, or .8 TD's per turnover.

Rodgers has 27 completions over 20+ yards, almost twice JC's 15.

Rodgers also has 9 completions over 40+ yards, over four times JC's 2.

Rodgers QB rating is 110 compared to JC's 85.

The only stat where they are comparable is completion percentage. Rodgers 65.3% and JC 66%.

I have only one thing to say to the above post morpheusmeyers my good man: GOD DAMN THE PACKERS!

God damn them for picking one slot above us back in '05 and setting us back even longer at the most important position on the team.

In fact, come to that: GOD DAMN THE NFC NORTH!

First Green Bay, and then, 5 years later, God damn the fricking Chicago Bears for offering the one thing we couldn't, a QB to Denvers liking; to set us back more years yet again in the hunt for that elusive, top echelon signal caller.

GOD DAMN THE PACKERS! GOD DAMN THE BEARS! GOD DAMN THE NFC NORTH!

I think that bears repeating too.

Hail.

I have only one thing to say to the above post morpheusmeyers my good man: GOD Loves THE PACKERS!

God loves them for picking one slot above us back in '05 and setting us back even longer at the most important position on the team.

In fact, come to that: GOD loves THE NFC NORTH!

First Green Bay, and then, 5 years later, God loves the fricking Chicago Bears for offering the one thing we couldn't, a QB to Denvers liking; to set us back more years yet again in the hunt for that elusive, top echelon signal caller.

GOD loves THE PACKERS! GOD loves THE BEARS! GOD loves THE NFC NORTH!

I think that bears repeating too.

Hail.

I edited this for good will. It's the Redskins who are looking for love.

His ball security has been poor.

He's gotta tighten that up.

JC did a good job of ball security last year with a TD to turnover ratio of 13:7, or nearly 2:1. The problem is that 13 TD's over a full season just isn't good enough, and that's his career high.

He was particularly bad at ball security in 2007, when his TD to turnover ratio was 12:19, or .63 TD's per turnover. By the way, that's 19 turnovers in 12 games, not 16.

This season his TD to turnover ration is 8:10, or .8 TD's per turnover.

Agree that he has to tighten it up, especially all of the fumbles.

I think you reading this play incorrectly
I'm shocked you see it differently. :)

Lets say your right and Cooley is running a quick hook. (which is difficult to determine because he slows as Jason is throwing the ball to Santana)

Jason still has a window to throw the ball to him and the passing lane to do so. He has none of these things to Santana on the right.

Jason still stares down the play badly which usually isn't a problem on a 3 step drop, but in this case is a big mistake. The safety easily puts his hand in the passing lane and you can see 2 Eagles racing to catch the tipped ball. Both Eagles in this case know exactly what Jason is doing and where he's going on the play. That is not a coincidence.

Jason also throws the ball at the guys hand and doesn't feel the rush on his blind side. Had Santana been well-covered then Jason would've been completely slaughtered by Bunkley.

The fail of the O-Line and the QB go hand in hand. Both are problems in this case.

I'm shocked you see it differently. :)

Lets say your right and Cooley is running a quick hook. (which is difficult to determine because he slows as Jason is throwing the ball to Santana)

Jason still has a window to throw the ball to him and the passing lane to do so.

Okay i went back and looked at video clip.

Its a much better view of the play.

And you're right, although Cooley is running a hitch/hook he is looking into the backfield at JC while he's running his route.

But its a 3 step drop where you throw as quick as you can to the 1st open guy, and JC is looking at Moss who is open on a quick out from the slot.

If Cooley was JC 1st read then he probably hits Cooley for a quick gain.

Jason still stares down the play badly which usually isn't a problem on a 3 step drop, but in this case is a big mistake. The safety easily puts his hand in the passing lane and you can see 2 Eagles racing to catch the tipped ball. Both Eagles in this case know exactly what Jason is doing and where he's going on the play. That is not a coincidence.

Dude its a 3 step drop and Santana is open.

Rabach and Monty have to be able to keep a safety from collapsing the pocket and tipping that ball.

If Cooley was JC 1st read then he probably hits Cooley for a quick gain.

Rabach and Monty have to be able to keep a safety from collapsing the pocket and tipping that ball.

Exactly my point. Who's to say the play failed because JC didn't go to Cooley first. That is pure second guessing after the fact.

It appears that Moss was his first read and he never had time to go to his second. We have no idea how the play was called. The play failed because two offensive lineman could not engage one defensive player to the point that he couldn't get his hands up.

Jason has gotten into serious trouble for staring down his right side. I've seen it plenty of times before.

You have to admit the poor mechanics of staring directly at your target from the snap till you throw the ball. There's absolutely no reason to do this on a simple quick hitch. He can run that play with a blindfold.

Exactly my point. Who's to say the play failed because JC didn't go to Cooley first. That is pure second guessing after the fact.

It appears that Moss was his first read and he never had time to go to his second. We have no idea how the play was called. The play failed because two offensive lineman could not engage one defensive player to the point that he couldn't get his hands up.

Of course it is second guessing, the point is to show that Jason isn't correctly reading the defense.

The Eagles stack the LOS, at the snap every single Eagle is moving forward, including the LB who is covering Chris Cooley. It is essentially a jail-house blitz and as the QB you have to recognize this.

This was not play where Philly got to Campbell with a 3 or 4 man rush that is 100% on the O-Line.

Archived