Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Something positive for us to linger on...

YoCoLifSavr

I have been listening to the Tony Korny show while cleaning the house and he was talking to his co-hort Mike Wilbon and he brought up a good point. "The Redskins had the 3rd of 4th ranked defense going into the KC game. With the Giants and the Ravens having the best D's in the league going into the week and after their performance this weekend where does that leaves the Skins defense now?" It went something along those lines. He also went on to say that if the D cant stay off the field it doesnt mean a whole lot but still....

Now I havent checked stats for our Defense compared to the others in the league but atleast it is a positive for us. Keeping the defense on the field as long as they are they are bound to give up some points eventually but it's nice to find a bright spot somewhere. I know with the teams we have played already it should be expected but with everything going on with this team atleast there is a bright spot. :evilg:

THIS THREAD WAS NOT STARTED TO BASH THE SKINS, IT WAS INTENDED TO COMPLIMENT A POSITIVE FOR THIS TEAM. There are plenty of Redskins bashing threads out there already...

but this week didnt help us.

Welll given TOP for our O/D its kinda tough. We have to keep the offense on the field longer...simple as that. And the !@#$ turnovers are killing us when giving the opposing team the ball on our side of the field. Esp when the turnover was cause by our RB running into his own blocker.:chair:

I have been listening to the Tony Korny show while cleaning the house and he was talking to his co-hort Mike Wilbon and he brought up a good point. "The Redskins had the 3rd of 4th ranked defense going into the KC game. With the Giants and the Ravens having the best D's in the league going into the week and after their performance this weekend where does that leaves the Skins defense now?" It went something along those lines. He also went on to say that if the D cant stay off the field it doesnt mean a whole lot but still....

Now I havent checked stats for our Defense compared to the others in the league but atleast it is a positive for us. Keeping the defense on the field as long as they are they are bound to give up some points eventually but it's nice to find a bright spot somewhere. I know with the teams we have played already it should be expected but with everything going on with this team atleast there is a bright spot. :evilg:

You're kidding right? We've played some of the worst offenses in the league, that's why our ranking is high. Just wait till Philly leaves town with 450 yards and 30+ points.

Welll given TOP for our O/D its kinda tough. We have to keep the offense on the field longer...simple as that. And the !@#$ turnovers are killing us when giving the opposing team the ball on our side of the field. Esp when the turnover was cause by our RB running into his own blocker.:chair:

Oh I agree, defense again played more than strong enough to win this game. They were great. Offense again choked and lost us the game.

You're kidding right? We've played some of the worst offenses in the league, that's why our ranking is high. Just wait till Philly leaves town with 450 yards and 30+ points.

Re-read my original post...I stated "even though we havent played anyone atleast its a bright spot" im looking for positives here instead of all the negativity around here. This thread wasnt started to bash the Redskins, just to try to find something working for us....take the negativity elsewhere

Not to throw a damper on your line of thinking...or whoever it was....but we haven't exactly been playing the powerhouse teams of the NFL in these first 6 weeks. Only the Giants. I would hope our defense would be playing well with that kind of schedule, too bad our offense can't keep up. :(

Not to throw a damper on your line of thinking...or whoever it was....but we haven't exactly been playing the powerhouse teams of the NFL in these first 6 weeks. Only the Giants. I would hope our defense would be playing well with that kind of schedule, too bad our offense can't keep up. :(

I stated that in the original post.......thanks

The defense is the same as I've felt about it for a while now. Good but not great. Sure they don't give up a ton of points and this makes the scores of our games look close and give the illusion of competitiveness at times. Besides, the fact that other teams have known for a while now that they don't exactly have to score much on us in order to win might allow them to draw up a more safe, conservative offensive game plan...one that puts up one or two scores and then waits for the clock to run out as the skins offense continues its impersonation of a chorus line...1-2-3 kick, 1-2-3 kick.

Since Gregg Williams, I've always had two main problems with this defense. First, they don't create many turnovers. They seem to get a bit more now than they did in the past, thanks in part to DeAngelo Hall, but remember the bar wasn't set very high to begin with...they're not that far removed, after all, from setting the all time NFL record low for turnovers. Second, and this has been much more of a recent problem, is TOP and 3rd down conversions. These two go hand in hand, and I'm not sure why this has become such a problem. But for whatever reason, this team struggles to keep opponents from converting on 3rd down, which in turn keeps them on the field longer. It was very apparent in the Lions game and even more so in the Chiefs game (avg about 37 minutes for them, 23 minutes for us).

Factor in the weak schedule thus far, and I'm not sure if we exactly have the championship-style defense that is being "wasted" as some seem to think.

That being said, the defense is definitely the strongest of the team's units and is something to build off of for the future. It's a good defense, but I wouldn't call it great, and certainly not dominating. A dominating defense doesn't give up 99-yard TD drives to rookie qbs on 0-19 teams, sorry.

Archived