Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Any comcast service techs here?

bpoch

I have a question for you. I have comcast high speed internet and every night the past few nights it goes down sometime after 8ish. Tonight, it's crawling. It took me 15 minutes(actually it started to open but never did, but it works just fine this morning) to get to extreme and open the post new message. So, I bite the bullet and call support and all he can tell me is my modem looks good from their end, can he schedule a service visit. I'm not taking 1/2 a day of work for the guy to show in during the day when it F'n works just fine. I was on tonight at 6PM with no problems at all. I held back and didn't go off on the guy, but really, that's all you can do? I went through this crap with DSL before I made the move the Comcast. I have had cable internets for over a year with no problems at all. No changes to my PC or network setup. Right now I'm connected directly to the cable modem.

Like I said it works just fine during the day when I'm not home to use it, but when I get in at 9PM it's down. Tonight the sync light is good, the other nights it's been flashing so not syncing to comcast.

Has anybody seen this and have any suggestions. I'm a techie so I know all the dumb stuff, reset modem, blah, blah, blah. Tonight with it down if I ping www.comcast.com I get 50 percent failure. when it does ping I'm getting 21ms so not bad at all. I time out pinging any other website.

And before somebody jumps in and says FIOS, I can't get it. Comcast is the only option in my area. I live in Frederick, Md.

So, I bite the bullet and call support and all he can tell me is my modem looks good from their end, can he schedule a service visit.

Funny story...I called comcast once without service on my new DVR STB. I call in, go through their reset procedure (like I don't know how to turn something off and back on), and they tell me that the box looks good on their end. While looking around I see that coax cable isn't plugged! :doh: So the box looks good on your end eh? :bsflag:

Funny story...I called comcast once without service on my new DVR STB. I call in, go through their reset procedure (like I don't know how to turn something off and back on), and they tell me that the box looks good on their end. While looking around I see that coax cable isn't plugged! :doh: So the box looks good on your end eh? :bsflag:

That's awesome. A friend of mine also lives in Frederick and he said he service was out last night too. When he called the 800 number he heard the recorded message that service was out in his area. Go figure Customer Service doesn't get that information.

We'll see how it goes tonight.

Somebody could be hijacking your internet if you have a wireless connection. Even if it is encrypted with WEP, you could have someone leeching your connection. Either that, or your whole neighborhood is coming online at the same time and destroying your bandwidth.

I have my wireless locked down using MAC filter, so I know I'm not be hijacked.

A few possible issues:

1. You have lots of user traffic in your area.

2. The Comcast-provided router/gateway (I suspect you have a CMS device) is defective.

3. The physical medium (the coaxial cable), possibly at the splitter, needs to be properly configured.

4. The Ethernet cable is defective.

5. You have a bad nic, or an application (such as the Comcast-provided McAfee security center: get rid of it) interfering with your connectivity.

I talked to a couple of guys at work that live around me and they all we down last night, so it's no isolated to just me.

I did update the firmware on my router to a third party firmware, dd-wrt. It's a linux based firmware and so far I really like it.

Verizon isnt in or around your neighborhood putting fiber under ground are they?

I had the same problem as you about a month before FIOS became available to me, a tech had to come to my house. He went outside where the "trap" is located, took the cover off, and someone had put a filter on my line causing it to become slow as hell blocking outbound traffic. We suspected the verizon guys did it LOL he removed the filter and all was fine.

One way to tell is.. if you have comcast tv.. does the on demand menu come up? If not that could be your problem.

I don't have Comcast, but, I had a similar issue with my cable service. My modem would quit working and after calling support, all they said was "we can send a tech out to check your line". After dealing with the issue for a week, I finally went and bought a new modem, called them up to activate it and have not had any problems in almost 2 years.

Might want to try borrowing a modem, if you can, with one that is working good. Would help to see if it is their service or your equipment.

I don't have Comcast, but, I had a similar issue with my cable service. My modem would quit working and after calling support, all they said was "we can send a tech out to check your line". After dealing with the issue for a week, I finally went and bought a new modem, called them up to activate it and have not had any problems in almost 2 years.

Might want to try borrowing a modem, if you can, with one that is working good. Would help to see if it is their service or your equipment.

Regarding that.....To the OP....

I have a Motorola modem that i bought on my own when i had comcast , model SB5101, i did it mainly to save a few bucks per month on my bill, if you want a used one cheap, PM me

Hey OP try this as well , dug it up from a forum i used to frequent

Copy n paste this into your browser http://192.168.100.1/ or just click it :)

Its the modems configuration page, click on the SIGNAL tab on the left.

If your Signal To Noise Ratio is higher than like 40db, you could have too many splitters, normal installation is one out and one inside, but you dont need more than that. If you do have more than that call your cable provider and see if they can get it down to 2 splitters or less. GL

I have the same cable modem as the thread starter and have never had any problems, my Signal To Noise Ratio is under 36. That motorola modem is a very good modem.

Also go into the LOGS tab and see what error messages you are getting, they could help in troubleshooting your reset problem when contacting your ISP

Hey OP try this as well , dug it up from a forum i used to frequent

Copy n paste this into your browser http://192.168.100.1/ or just click it :)

Its the modems configuration page, click on the SIGNAL tab on the left.

If your Signal To Noise Ratio is higher than like 40db, you could have too many splitters, normal installation is one out and one inside, but you dont need more than that. If you do have more than that call your cable provider and see if they can get it down to 2 splitters or less. GL

I have the same cable modem as the thread starter and have never had any problems, my Signal To Noise Ratio is under 36. That motorola modem is a very good modem.

Also go into the LOGS tab and see what error messages you are getting, they could help in troubleshooting your reset problem when contacting your ISP

^^ is correct, also check your tx and rx (transmit & receive) levels. I don't work for Comcast, but I'm a tech for Cox and our levels need to be between 39db & 58db (58 being the worst, usually under 50 you'd be fine) and the Rx normally +5db to -10 (-10 being the worst, normally under -6 or so and you'd be alright) But that is just with our system, I don't know what parameters Comcast works with. I usually find bad fittings either in the house or at the groundblock outside the house. And lately i've had a bunch of bad modems due to the storms we've had in the summertime, power outages and brownouts seems to have taken there toll on alot of the modems, but we swap them out as part of our normal service visit.

Just to throw this out there, but if you happen to have a router, try bypassing it and just go direct to the modem with it. And last, if you happen to have another computer in the house (laptop etc..) try hooking it up to the modem (and reboot the modem), I know nobody wants to ever think it could be there pc with the issue, but honestly i've had ALOT of pc's that are causing the problem. I bring my dell laptop that is provided to me from work and plug it into a subscribers modem and it'll be blazing fast.

Good luck.

Archived