Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: Lions playlist recap

themurf

haynesworth092809.jpg

(photo by Paul Sancya)

1. “Killing Me Softly” by The Fugees

The most intriguing aspect for the Washington Redskins as they headed to Detroit to face the winless Lions was simple – how would the team respond leaving the hostile-work environment known as FedEx Field in favor of Detroit?

Yes, that’s how bad things had gotten just three weeks into the 2009 season. The ‘Skins needed to pack up the car for a road trip in order to get away from the boo birds, so they headed to Motown, where a mostly apathetic Lions fanbase has seen so many losses over the last decade or so that, if they show up on gameday, it’s usually with a brown paper bag over their heads.

What happened next is already well known. The Redskins are now officially the laughingstock of the NFL, losing to Detroit 19-14. It’s the Lion’s first victory since Dec. 23, 2007, and snaps the second-longest losing streak in league history. If reserve linebacker Robert Henson didn’t like the home crowd last week, just wait until next week against Tampa Bay the first time the Redskins go three-and-out.

Sunday the Redskins lost in front of the smallest crowd in Ford Field history (less than 41,000). There’ll be twice as many people in attendance at FedEx Field next week, and it’s a safe bet they’re not going to be in a great mood. Things are about to get interesting around here.

2. “Pity and Fear” by Death Cab For Cutie

Here’s the most painful part of it all – the Lions pretty much dominated this game from start to finish. They held the ball for nearly 37 minutes. They had 381 yards of total offense. They converted 10 of 18 third downs. Led by a rookie quarterback making just his third professional start, they marched up and down the field at will – putting together four monster scoring drives against what we believed was a dominant Redskins defense.

The Lions first scoring drive went 99 yards in 12 plays. Their second scoring drive went 74 yards in 11 plays. Their third scoring drive went 86 yards in 18 plays. Their fourth and final scoring drive went 85 yards in eight plays. Meanwhile, the Redskins started the game with an 11-play drive that went 75 yards and put zero points on the board because the team couldn’t find the endzone. One team was able to impose its will Sunday. The other team was the Redskins.

3. “Moment of Clarity” by Jay-Z

This isn’t going to be very popular, but we feel it needs to be said. Mike Sellers is quite possibly the most overrated member of the Washington Redskins. Think about it. Any time someone is telling you how great Sellers is, it’s normally him talking. And honestly, every time we make it a point to watch him during a game, we come away less than impressed.

Last week he dropped a “gimme” touchdown pass that would have gone a long way towards quieting the backlash the team felt from fans after barely pulling out a victory against the woeful St. Louis Rams. This week, we watched him stand flat footed on a pass from Campbell that the defender had time to run around Sellers to defend. Had the defensive back been able to hold onto the ball, it would have been the easiest interception for a touchdown of his career – all while Sellers stood there wondering what the hell just happened.

And that’s not even the worst part.

Click here for the full article.

Fantastic piece Murf....there is a lot of truth in what you wrote and the hardest part will be coming to terms with those truths. The Redskins are a fundamentally flawed organization, certain players are just average and we hype them up to be more than they are, and this team has some serious issues.

My song for the season is "Hopeless" by Breaking Benjamin - we all can identify with this one :(

I agree about Mike Sellers. For some reason I remember him playing well last year but that I could be completely off on that. He really hasn't played very well at all this season and something is wrong with him. Is he secretly hurt? Or does he just not care because he and a lot of others look lackadaisical out there. These guys need to turn it around quick or a lot of them will be gone next season.

Does anybody know if it really bothers Sellers? Is any player held accountable by the coaches? Sellers, whines, Seller gets his money, Seller drops TD pass and plays lackluster in blocking and when his number is called in the pattern. Another song for the thread...I think it may have been mentioned last week, I've Seen That Movie Too.

Hey Murf, great stuff as always.

I just keep wondering WTF happened to our D. We can't stop the run, and even when we force the pass we can't stop it. We can't get to the passer, and we can't cover.

Stopping the run is always the key, bad things happen when you have to pass. It's why teams are stopping us, they shut down our runs.

So where is Anthony Montgomery? Is he injured, or just benched? I know he's not always a high effort guy, but he can shut down the run. I can't believe they were running right up the gut! I don't think that happens with Monty out there.

I agree about Mike Sellers. For some reason I remember him playing well last year but that I could be completely off on that. He really hasn't played very well at all this season and something is wrong with him. Is he secretly hurt? Or does he just not care because he and a lot of others look lackadaisical out there. These guys need to turn it around quick or a lot of them will be gone next season.

He got paid. That's what wrong with him and almost every other high priced player on this team. They got paid and will continue to get paid no matter what.

Everytime I hear DeAngelo Hall or Portis mention that the other team is also getting paid to play, I just want to scream and remind them that they're not getting paid the salaries that they are. DeAngelo makes more than the entire Giants WR corp but he got schooled by them.

The trouble with this team is MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY....MONEY! For the love of Money, O'Jays.

Cerrato should go. There needs to be a FO casualty, and he is the target. We draft according to our "board" without any regard to the needs of the team. It is plain stupid. Not that Cerrato hasn't made some good picks, he has, he also just doesn't see the big picture well enough and has made some blunders as well. We will be paying for the Haynesworth, Hall, etc. for years to come.

Zorn needs to give up playcalling as well, give it to Smith and give him a chance.

If you think he's the problem in his 3 uses this year.. your looking for it.

Do I think Mike Sellers is the only problem on this roster? Not at all. I think the rest of the recap made that clear. Do I think that Mike Sellers isn't nearly as good as he seems to think he is. Absolutely.

Come talk to me when this team is able to go for it on fourth-and-goal from the one yard line with the game on the line and actually punch the ball in. They handed the ball to Sellers in that situation a year ago and he turned it over in the loss to the Bengals.

Twice this year they've tried to do it - against the Rams and Lions - and failed both times. If the guy really was an elite fullback, he'd be knocking people on their tails as Portis danced into the endzone. And that just ain't happening.

He's not the only problem, he's just my candidate for the most overrated player on the current roster.

Murf, Our entire roster is overrated, not just Sellers.

I think the song that I would use to describe this team is THE RIDDLE by Nik Kershaw. I cant figure out what the song is about and I cant figure out what this team is about. All of the players are acting so calm to the media, when somebody needs to be screaming. Oh well, I will be rooting for them next week just the same.

Heres to winning 15-10 (Official score prediction)

Do I think Mike Sellers is the only problem on this roster? Not at all. I think the rest of the recap made that clear. Do I think that Mike Sellers isn't nearly as good as he seems to think he is. Absolutely.

Come talk to me when this team is able to go for it on fourth-and-goal from the one yard line with the game on the line and actually punch the ball in. They handed the ball to Sellers in that situation a year ago and he turned it over in the loss to the Bengals.

Twice this year they've tried to do it - against the Rams and Lions - and failed both times. If the guy really was an elite fullback, he'd be knocking people on their tails as Portis danced into the endzone. And that just ain't happening.

He's not the only problem, he's just my candidate for the most overrated player on the current roster.

While i do agree, I think we need to stop those stretch zone plays around the goalline, its like Sellers does not know who to block. I think if we lined up in a Power I and let him lead portis up the middle Sellers would throw much better blocks:D

There's some things I agree with here, but much more I don't. (For instance, Mike Sellers being overrated, I agree with, but only because he's inconsistent... one game he's an absolute mauler, the next he's getting mauled)

I feel like this piece was one that was easiest to write at a time like this.

No offense murf, you know I love your contributions and enjoy a good discussion any time with you... just feel like this one didn't have to be written, though it's tough not to in this situation and I totally get that.

There's some things I agree with here, but much more I don't. (For instance, Mike Sellers being overrated ...

No worries man. You know I don't need everyone to agree with everything I write. Most days i'm just trying to spark intelligent football conversation (even if it's becoming harder and harder to find around here).

Anyways, I've talked to people who know much more about this stuff than I do, who question Sellers' football IQ. In their words, if there are two defenders to choose from, too often our fullback picks the wrong guy to block. That was said to me last season, and ever since I've tried to pay more attention to him. Can't say I've seen anything to proof this line of thinking wrong.

Add in that he made the Pro Bowl, which is supposed to mean you're at an elite level and the fact that he talked about holding out because he felt he deserved a fat contract, and yeah ... I'm going to classify him as overrated.

I said up front, my take wasn't going to be popular. I'm okay with that.

There's some things I agree with here, but much more I don't. (For instance, Mike Sellers being overrated ...

No worries man. You know I don't need everyone to agree with everything I write. Most days i'm just trying to spark intelligent football conversation (even if it's becoming harder and harder to find around here).

Anyways, I've talked to people who know much more about this stuff than I do, who question Sellers' football IQ. In their words, if there are two defenders to choose from, too often our fullback picks the wrong guy to block. That was said to me last season, and ever since I've tried to pay more attention to him. Can't say I've seen anything to proof this line of thinking wrong.

Add in that he made the Pro Bowl, which is supposed to mean you're at an elite level and the fact that he talked about holding out because he felt he deserved a fat contract, and yeah ... I'm going to classify him as overrated.

I said up front, my take wasn't going to be popular. I'm okay with that.

Hey murf, like I said, you know I truly appreciate your contributions, and I always am interested in your insights... With that being said, you actually misunderstood me about Sellers, lol. I actually agree with you about Sellers being overrated! Maybe that'll help you understand my point if you read my response again. :)

Archived