Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: Mitchell ready to make his mark

themurf

Excellent thread Murf, it doesn't matter if it was the trash man covering Mitchell in preseason. He proved he can catch the ball and has a great set of hands, as well as speed to get open.

He runs his routs very well and has been more of an impact player then Devin Thomas. It's time to get this kid off the bench and start replacing the ones who are not getting their job done. The Lions game will be the perfect opportunity to get everyone involved and open the dayum offense up.

I really liked Zorn's play calling in preseason, and how he attacked and went after defenses. As soon as the season started, he went right back to the dink and dunk offense that blew our season last year.

This is a team who can beat anyone when they throw down field, it opens everything up and gives Portis lanes to run through, and takes away the 8 men in the box that defenses has been stacking to stop our running game. I don't know who the reason is that we went back to this garbage dink and dump offense, but Jason Campbell will be the one who takes the blame and ends his career in Washington.

He needs a quarterback and coach to play

mitchell092309.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

A thought occurred to us as we watched the Washington Redskins red-zone offense go missing in action this past weekend against the St. Louis Rams.

With the Redskins struggling to put points on the board, especially from close range, the question needs to be asked – will Jim Zorn and the coaching staff switch things up?

The Redskins failed to score a touchdown in five red-zone visits against the Rams, and are currently tied for 29th in the league in scoring. Jason Campbell and friends are seemingly capable of moving the ball up and down the middle of the field, but for whatever reason, look downright baffled any time they get in scoring position. Sadly, the only time Redskins players found the endzone was when they jogged through it at halftime as they headed to the locker room for their orange slices and juice boxes.

Meanwhile, there very well may be a secret weapon sitting on the sidelines waiting for his first chance to make an impact. Who? His name is Marko. Marko Mitchell.

You may remember him from such plays as “The guy who scored a touchdown pass against Pittsburgh in the preseason.” Or “The guy who caught a touchdown pass against New England in the preseason.” Or even “The guy who caught a touchdown pass in Jacksonville in the preseason.”

Sure, Mitchell picked up those touchdowns against guys who are largely collecting unemployment right about now, but that shouldn’t be held against him. You can’t pick who you play against – you can only give your best in whatever situation the coaches put you in and hope that it is enough.

Mitchell finished the preseason with 11 catches for 113 yards and three touchdowns over the final three games. And since two out of his three scores came from the red zone, shouldn’t the ‘Skins at least consider trying him out in those situations?

We caught up with Mitchell, who has been active for the first two regular season games, but has only been on the field for a total of three plays, to see how he’s feeling these days.

“I’m feeling real good right about now,” Mitchell said. “We didn’t play like we wanted to, but we still got the win in the end.”

How important was it to get things turned around after the loss in New York?

“It was definitely important,” he said. “No one in the NFL likes to lose. By us messing around and starting off 0-2, it wouldn’t have been as bad, because it’s the beginning of the season. But we really wanted to get this win up under our belt.”

The offense is really struggling to put points on the board these days and every time we saw you in the preseason, you were making plays and putting points on the board. Who do we need to talk to in order to get you onto the field to help these guys out?

Click here for the full article.

As everyone here knows, just adding a quality player here or there, will not make much difference with our Skins. There is something NOT RIGHT with this team. They have stars on defense but have been much less than dominant. Is it the scheme? Our offense is not sharp, QB decision-making is slow and questionable, execution often poor. I have NO DOUBT if our receivers were playing somewhere else, in a different system, different playcalling, different QB they would immediately become more productive. We all know that. Plug Marko Mitchel into the Dallas offense, or New England offense, and he suddenly gets the ball thrown his way and makes big catches. Right?

Thats the feeling I get.

He played two downs against St. Louis. And just one down the week before in New York. My question is - why have Mitchell active if you're not going to use him?

Coach Z isnt really giving Campbell a chance to use Marko in the redzone. Between trick plays and hand off's in the redzone, he just has not been giving the looks. If you ask me (which I know they wont), if you wanna do a trick play throw it to the 6'4" rookie while your studs are getting double teamed or are blocking. But, im just a fan what do I know?:anon:

He needs a quarterback and coach to play
11. Please do not use the “Quote” feature to quote huge blocks of text or pictures.

If you would like to respond to the contents of a particular post, simply quote the sentence or idea that you're commenting upon, not necessarily the entire post. It wastes space on the database and unnecessarily extends and clutters threads.

I said in preseason that Marko Mitchell should get Devin Thomas' snaps.So far besides his special team play Devin has been M.I.A.

Marko is a playmaker,he has the ability to go up and get the ball.

Instead of having him ride the pine,get him in the game and into the gameplan.If he doesn't play quite like he did in pre season,it's okay he'll still be ahead of DT.

Was just reported on Redskins pregame that Marko Mitchell is inactive today. Anyone else here this? This is ridiculous, he needs to be on the field. How is he gonna prove hisself from the bench??

He's the fifth receiver, and a rookie, so what do you expect? I'm sure the team would like the 2nd rounders from last season to prove something.

Archived