Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jim Zorn doesn't deserve the bashing. Why?...

Chachie

so far Zorn has proved only that is he knows nothing about designing an offense that can score points and his clock management is horrible. To me, he is an idiot especially for blaming Chris Samuels for the failure of a play he called that had NO chance to work.

He does. Danny and company were really boneheadedly stupid in both promoting him to HC, and then not finding an experienced OC to work alongside him. But he has had a year to learn, and it is painfully evident the problems with this offense right now. At least to EVERYONE else. He needs to finally stop and listen to people instead of being so focused on just doing the same old same old. THAT is his fault.

Sweet database, Could you please forward that to the coaching staff? I admire your work

Thanks. I'd love for them to even see just the conclusions presented by the data.

My hope is to build a large enough database to overcome all statistical anomalies (hopefully about 5 years worth) and then publish my findings.

My biggest problem right now is that I started out *just* following the Redskins and the most successful teams because my interest was in why the Redskins were failing (even under Gibbs). I need data from all teams in all situations to make what I do really pop. What I'm finding is that the worst teams in the RZ all have something in common -- a run-first mentality. While it doesn't surprise me, it does surprise me that coaches are so willing to turn a blind eye. What doesn't work for the Raiders or 49ers probably isn't going to work for the Redskins, either, right?

But, no. We have to be obstinate. "If we just would have blocked the play correctly, then...". BS. How the heck can our coaching staff forget that this is the NFL? As a famous college coach once said, "They have 11 guys on the field with scholarships, too."

Success in the NFL comes from innovation and emulation. As my mentor says, "Emulate and accept." Find someone that's doing something right and then copy it exactly. You don't get to get "creative" until you're as good as the original at what they do. And to get an idea of how true this simple little maxim is in football, look at Bill Belichick's career.

Success in the NFL comes from innovation and emulation. As my mentor says, "Emulate and accept." Find someone that's doing something right and then copy it exactly. You don't get to get "creative" until you're as good as the original at what they do. And to get an idea of how true this simple little maxim is in football, look at Bill Belichick's career.

Who did Bill emulate?

drtdrums -- Oldfan, This is about as crazy as your thread that the main purpose of a defense is not to keep the other team from scoring.

You have a reading comprehension problem. That's not what I said.

What you don't know is that I have a mountain of data compiled going back 3 years on *just this problem*. I'm one of those weird guys who's obsessed with football and the various mathematical mysteries it presents.

And I assume that you think that the Washington Redskins, a billion dollar corporation, don't have statistics compiled that are as good or better than those you've compiled yourself. And, if they do, they can't possibly have anyone as capable as you are of interpreting the data. Is that right?

Stretch plays don't work inside the 10 because the DBs and LBs can respond with abandon -- 11 men are guarding 10 yards or less of real estate. The closer you are to the goal line, the less likely a stretch play is to work.

ALL plays figure to have a lower success rate inside the ten since the field is compressed. You are aware of that much, aren't you?

So, with all due respect, shove it. You're as wrong as you can possibly be. Again. I'm honestly done reading your opinions, because they're uninformed, needlessly insulting, and combative. Thanks for playing.

You actually do think the Redskins would be better off with you calling the plays, don't you? Damn. :D

Zorn made his bed, now lets see him lay in it when the temp is turned up. We cant stroke his hair back and brush his cheek when things go bad. he needs to take responsibility in my opinion. he should just hand his playbook in (not like its worjth much anyways) and save Snyder the hassle of firing him.

LOL...:hysterical:

Simply not a good enough reason. He knows offense, his players aren't executing, and his arrogance is rubbing people the wrong way. He's been around football long enough as a player and coach to know what is working and what isn't. :helmet:

Zorn thinks he knows more about calling football plays than the fans and the media? What arrogance!

Re: Jim Zorn doesn't deserve the bashing. Why?...

Because he won, however ugly it was with dropped end-zone passes and all.

I look at the Rams and Lions games a little differently. I was hoping that the Rams had won in week one and the Lions had won at least one of their first two games.

Two weeks in a row we meet terrible but very desperate teams.

Someone in the NFL is going to lose to one of these awful teams and that team will be laughed at, just like everyone laughed at the Ravens when they provided the 2007 (1-15) Miami Dolphins with their only win.

I also know that everyone was waiting for that to happen with Detroit last season and it never happened, but I still think that the odds get tougher as the losses pile up.

The play had a chance to work. If it did, he'd be a genius. No one expected it, that's why it was a good call. Rams defended it well. The end.

We had some great drives, the offense looks decent, save for the thin o-line. We just need to finish drives and polish the running game. The WRs and QB should mesh better as the season goes on. ARE is doing well as a slot. Mitchell and Kelly will only get better. Cooley is solid and Moss is due for a breakout game.

You all are Snyder clones, 1 and done revolving door. regardless of the talent inheirated, it IS a totally different system that the players have to learn, its year 2 in that. What he got was a good defense and a declining run game, 2 rookie WRs to try and groom and an aging OL. Then the FO gets Albert???? I disagree that this is one of the most coveted jobs, even if there is only 32 cause of that 32 it probably is #25-28. Somebody hit it on the head, Zorn was brought in to OC but NOBODY else wanted the HC position, THAT tells ya something. Snyder sucks and nobody with any kind of pride dont want to coach for him, they seen how he handled Marty. Besides players have to execute the plays called. Our talent level is average at best at any given position outside of Samuels who I think is still a REAL good OT and oh yeah, Sellers (sych)

He has made the team worse and worse since he has been here

He won early last year with Gibbs running game

The more influence Zorn has on the team, the worse we play

Hmm I can't really agree with this, if anything I would say as far as production and wins go, this is about the same team we had when Gibbs was here.

Early on it does seem that maybe our running game isn't as good, but we had several games under Gibbs where we couldn't run the ball. A part of it now is prolly in part due to the fact that Portis is getting less touches, all we have backing CP up is pretty much weaker versions of CP. When teams prepare to stop a back liek Portis then they dont have to change anything when you put Betts,Mason or even Rock in..defenses just have to stop weaker versions of CP and that isn't all that tough apparently =p

The passing game/scoring TDs issue has been there since Gibbs came back, do you remember the less that 100 yards a game passing we had from Brunell? Even our playoff win he had like 69 yards passing...

Zorn hasn't to this point, made JC a better QB and he has had some really questionable playcalling. But in his defense we couldn't get the ball in the endzone in ..how many attempts so far this year? He had to try n shake it up

and it didn't work, if it did we wouldn't complain. Our offense is just bad, players aren't all that great and Zorn's playcalling is iffy at times. Hopefully it won't be this way all year but if it is, we honestly need to look at retooling the O in the draft and solid FAs, that goes for QB, WRs, a TE that can be a goalline threat (Cooley is great but he is nothing in the redzone) and a new RB to spell Portis and eventually replace him, a speed back maybe is Mason develops.

Honestly tho, I don't know if any of this makes sense I just know it isn't and hasn't worked for a long time with the same players.

Cooley had 1TD last year, after having 27 the previous 4 years under Gibbs while brunell was sucking it up as you showed in your post.

I'll give you that, but it isn't really about Cooley its about Wins and losses. We have about the same amount of production now as we did with Gibbs. The fours years he came back fro he was 31-36, right now Zorn is 9-9. I'm indifferent on Zorn right now because it's just the unknown, but honestly I'd rather replace some players than replace the coach right now. We have had these players for a long time now and we are on our 2nd Head coach and I lost count on the OCs and we still have had roughly the same amount of production from the offense.

Archived