Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Players like Monk and Green...

ceekay84

We have some. Samuels is a possible future HOF-er(probably borderline though, not a lock). Cooley is on his way to a great career. Portis could end up as our franchise's all time rushing leader. Rogers is a very good CB who could be dominant if he grew a pair of hands. I'm not saying any of those guys are the next Monk or Green but Monk or Green had things some of our current studs don't, like better coaches, FO, and support players/depth.

Most of the times I will wear Old School Redskins Jerseys to the bar for the game. Last week I wore my Dexter Manley Jersey, this week it will be Charley Taylor.

I do have a 3 Current Players Jerseys but I am not in a rush to get an Orakpo or Haynesworthy Jersey when we have so may great players from the glory days.

Guys like Monk and Green were great players - Hall of Famers.

However the association and the reason we hold them in such esteem is they played on championship teams in a period when we were an elite team in the NFL for a decade.

If, say, Portis had played in that era and put up the numbers he does right now and played on a couple of championship teams we would talk about him in the same way. Individual stats or performance get lost when the overall won/lost is mediocre.

Its all about winning. If this team starts to win and takes us to some Division titles and Super Bowls then attitudes around here would change real quick.

If, say, Portis had played in that era and put up the numbers he does right now and played on a couple of championship teams we would talk about him in the same way. Individual stats or performance get lost when the overall won/lost is mediocre.

Its all about winning. If this team starts to win and takes us to some Division titles and Super Bowls then attitudes around here would change real quick.

I agree 100% :cheers:

Guys like Monk and Green were great players - Hall of Famers.

However the association and the reason we hold them in such esteem is they played on championship teams in a period when we were an elite team in the NFL for a decade.

Amen. We have HoF caliber players, but to make them ACTUAL HoF players it will probably take a rind or two. Although, Portis will have over 10,000 yards by the end of this season (only needs 750), and he's 28, currently with a 4.48 ypc career avg and 28th on the all-time list.

If he can put out only an average of 950 yards for the next 4 seasons (3/4 of his average yards per season in his carrier), then he'll be at approx. 14,300 yards for his carrier. That would make him 4th on the all-time NFL rushing leader's list (at 32 or 33), just under:

Emmitt Smith (18,355 retired at 35 with 4.16 ypc)

Walter Payton (16,726 retired at 33 with 4.36 ypc)

Barry Sanders (15,269 retired at age 30 with 4.99 ypc)

That's pretty elite company, so he might actually be considered a first ballot HoFer. I think it would still take a ring to make that a lock, but at that point, he's still got more yards than:

Curtis Martin (14,101 retired at 34 with 4.01 ypc)

Jerome Bettis (13,662 retired at 33 with 3.93 ypc)

Eric Dickerson (13,259 retired at 33 with 4.43 ypc)

Tony Dorsett (12,739 retired at 34 with 4.34 ypc)

Jim Brown (12,312 retired at 29 with 5.22 ypc)

Marshall Faulk (12,279 retired at 33 with 4.33 ypc)

Marcus Allen (12,243 retired at 37 with 4.05 ypc)

Most of those guys had a ring or two, but I think Portis would be too high up there to deny him at least a second or third ballot in to the HoF. That's IF he doesn't have a complete season derailed by injury, but even with a full season out, he'd still be at about 6th place on that list (between Bettis and Dickerson) around the time he retires (if he retires at 32 or 33).

I think people don't appreciate Portis because he doesn't break away for 60 yard gains, but the guy is pretty incredibly steady.

Oops, and I forgot Samuels with his 6 Pro-Bowls (so far). He'd need another 2 or 3 to be in, and a ring to be a lock. Right now, Orlando Pace has 7 (and a ring), and Walter Jones has 9 and no ring but he's the OLineman most people talk about being an active player who is a HoFer.

If we had a GM, we might be able to find some rookies to groom into MVP players. I think Cooley is a good example of how well that can work. But as long as we let Danny go after shiny objects, we'll always be short on those kinds of guys.

Monk and Green had a level of class you just don't see anymore in the league. We may get some better players than them in terms of stats, but not when it comes to teammates.

I disagree.

That's not to say that Portis might not also be a HOF'r if he had played on those same teams but I for one would not talk about him in the same terms as Monk and Green.

Those who are old enough to remember Monk and Green know that there reputations were spotless. They were consumate team players with characters of the highest order.

Portis on the other hand is a selfish, narcissist with a big mouth. Which is to say he's a modern player of today.

:helmet:

Portis on the other hand is a selfish, narcissist with a big mouth. Which is to say he's a modern player of today.

:helmet:

Of course, you would have to factor in that the media is nearly 20 times worse now than they were back with Monk and Green.

You can't do anything without the media catching wind of it and blowing it out of proportion.

Of course, you would have to factor in that the media is nearly 20 times worse now than they were back with Monk and Green.

You can't do anything without the media catching wind of it and blowing it out of proportion.

Also, Monk and Green were a bit smarter than CP, they rarely talked to the Media, especially Monk.

I just wish CP would not say a word to the media, but I don't think he knows how to

To be fair, I seem to remember Green being a little arrogant in his heyday, bragging about being the fastest man in the NFL. But that seems tame by today's standards.

These days players talk so much that there's not way they could ever back up their words. I'm sure the media does have a role, since they want an opinion on every single play and random matter. But it's still the players choice to talk.

Archived