Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: Bowen tackles Redskins offense

themurf

zorn091009.jpg

photo by Brian Murphy

Yesterday, we brought you part one of our interview with Matt Bowen, the former safety who now writes for the National Football Post. In it, Bowen broke down the strength of the Washington Redskins – the defense – and had nothing but positive things to say about guys like Brian Orakpo, Albert Haynesworth and LaRon Landry.

Today, we turn our attention to quarterback Jason Campbell and the rest of the offense, as well as how Bowen ultimately sees the 2009 season playing out in D.C.

Let’s cut right to the chase. Jason Campbell – is he going to get it done this year or not?

“He has to,” Bowen said. “He can’t fail. That’s his entire season. He has to get it done. The last I saw him was the preseason game against the New England Patriots. And I thought the way he led those last two drives in that game were great. You know, I played with Campbell a long, long time ago. He was a rookie on the scout team, and even then, he threw a beautiful football.

“Now, I love his leadership,” he continued. “I love that he led two scoring drives, and I love the fact that he got blasted a few times in that game and came right back, kept playing and scored a touchdown. That tells you something about him. It’s tough to be him. I mean, the ‘Skins tried to trade him at least twice. They tried to get rid of him and basically said, ‘You’re very replaceable. We can get someone better than you to do your job.’ It didn’t happen. But he didn’t pout. He didn’t run to the media. He just kept playing football. And for his sake, I hope he has a great year. Because if the Redskins don’t want him, he can go somewhere else and make some money. But there’s a lot riding on this season. His head coach’s job is on the line too. He has to perform.”

We know what Santana Moss brings to the table. Same with Chris Cooley and Clinton Portis. With the emergence of Malcolm Kelly enabling the team to slide Antwaan Randle El back into his natural position as a slot receiver do you think the team now has enough weapons to actually put some points on the board?

“Yeah, I think so,” Bowen said. “Those two young kids – Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas – it’s time for them to grow up. Let’s be honest. They’re in their second year in the NFL. They’re not rookies anymore, so they can’t use that excuse. It’s time for them to make some plays. That’s why they’re getting paid that money. This is a production-based business, and if you don’t produce, you’re going to end up on the street sooner or later.

“And that’s a good point about Randle El,” he continued. “Antwaan is a phenomenal athlete. He’s a guy who kicked my butt back in college when he was a quarterback, but he’s not a number two receiver in this league. He’s just not. He’s a slot guy. That’s where he belongs. He belongs on the inside because, when you put a guy like him on the inside, it creates very favorable matchups. I think you’re also going to see that this year in Minnesota with Percy Harvin, and I wish they would do that here in Chicago with Devin Hester because it gives you so many options and make those guys so tough to cover.

“Part of Jason Campbell’s success this year is going to be can those receivers make plays for him,” Bowen said. “Sometimes you have to just throw the ball up and your guys have to make plays. Think of Brett Favre. A lot of times he just chucks that ball up and his guys go up and get it. Everyone loves the way Favre plays and it makes him look great, but it’s his receivers that are doing a lot of the work. These receivers need to do some of that for Campbell.”

If there’s one area that’s a concern heading into the season, it’s the offensive line. What’s your take on the Redskins O-line?

Click here for the full article.

Good read. I think JZ and JC understood last year that they're attached at the hip. I'm die hard, I want say we're finishing last until we're finishing last so to be fair we're finishing 10-6/11-5ish where that puts us...if its last then by golley its last but I don't think so. Besides CS the rest of the line is pretty weak..wow they sure looked good before the injuries last season, but we're all entitled to our opinions aren't we. JC will play better this year if not, he'll be a backup somewhere else to think about what if and we'll be stuck with one of these rookies we hope becomes a franchise QB of some sort.

Good read. I think JZ and JC understood last year that they're attached at the hip. I'm die hard, I want say we're finishing last until we're finishing last so to be fair we're finishing 10-6/11-5ish where that puts us...if its last then by golley its last but I don't think so. Besides CS the rest of the line is pretty weak..wow they sure looked good before the injuries last season, but we're all entitled to our opinions aren't we. JC will play better this year if not, he'll be a backup somewhere else to think about what if and we'll be stuck with one of these rookies we hope becomes a franchise QB of some sort.

I think the OLine was great in the first half last year and then got hurt. How does that make them below average? CP was leading the league in rushing during that time and was breaking big plays and scoring TD'S. As far as I can see it, the OLine is more healthy and upgraded with Dockery. I think they are improved and there is no learning curve here. The weakest link to the OLine is Rabach. He is serviceable because he has played next to those guards for sometime now. I think they are above average on the OLine without much depth. The depth issues are going to be the tale tale for the post season possibilities. I think Bowen missed it.

As well, we split in our division last year. There is no reason that with the Giants in the state they're in with a transition and new guy calling the D plays and unproven WR's that the Redskins can't win on Sunday. As a matter of fact the bookmakers aren't even giving a full 7 points with the spread at 6.5. I think a turnover or special teams play evens it up and the last person with the ball wins.

Going to go ahead and call the score: Redskins 20 Giants 17

HTTR!!!

Shredder you made my point on the line. I was responding to the article in general when speaking about the OL. The Skins have a very favorable chance to have a special season. We must start fast and build on the confidence of those win. This game may be make or break our season..sort like the pick six Carlos dropped last year. Never the less, the sky's the limit I see at least 2 more wins that would equate to 10-6 one more squeaker and we're 11-5!!! HTTR!

I think we are loaded offensively w our starters and our receivers are deep!

JC man...gotta hand it to him so far this year...I liked him in the Pats game...played tough and smart w some nice throws, really liked his TD run as well... he has moves and wheels!...nice throws in Jax...if he can pull it together, settle and play his game and his teammates rise up....I got a good feeling...

Giants are the only divisional team we haven't solved lately...we go 3-1 in games w philly and dalles this yr. we can go 3-3 easily and take two others ---we have a shot at 11-5. We have a good team.

I think we do make the playoffs!

"I’ve known Chris for a long time, but let’s be honest, the rest of that offensive line is pretty weak. It’s below average."

hmmmm...

i don't agree with this. I think Rabach is a solid center, and Dock is better than average. I would call Randy and Heyer at least average... the rest of the line is definentaly not "below average."

am i wrong on this?

with that said, i think it would be fair to say our depth is "below average."

This article should make a lot of us feel better, as he is saying the things that we have come to a consensus on here for some time now. Such as Zorn and Campbell being tied together, they need to sink or swim. Also, about Last year's rookie receivers needing to step and "take the diapers off". That bit about Randle El not being a two and belonging in the slot was spot-on as well.

The receivers need to actually catch the ball...too many drops. Campbell has his faults and miscues, but his receivers definitely need to make more plays and hold on to footballs. I just hope the line stays relatively healthy...if so, some really good things can happen with this offense. JC has to step up!!

Archived