Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Spokane, WA:Two officers testify against one of their own*Update-Officer Aquitted*

ljs

I'm posting this story not to get people riled up about police abuse, but to point out the fact that two fellow officers are testifying against one of their own. I absolutely commend them for their bravery- crossing the 'thin blue line' can sometimes be equated to trying to leave a gang. It's nearly impossible. We all know there is corruption out there, but too many times good officers are too afraid to come forward. The scroutny they face, being ostracized and even potentially being run out of town is too much for some to bear.

http://www.khq.com/Global/story.asp?S=11102342&nav=menu438_2

SPOKANE, Wash. - A misdemeanor trial started today with two story lines; one in which a Spokane Police officer stands accused of kicking a handcuffed suspect and the apparent turmoil for the two officers who agreed to testify against him.

Special City Prosecutor Dana Kelly used only three witnesses before resting the fourth-degree assault case against Officer Rob Boothe, who is accused of kicking a suspect in the face while he was laying on the ground following a car chase and foot pursuit on Sept. 5, 2008.

The 15-year-veteran and master firearms instructor has been on paid administrative leave since that incident occurred.

If a jury convicts Boothe of the gross misdemeanor, which carries up to a year in jail, they must believe the testimony of two officers who were with Boothe that night.

Spokane Police officers Shaidon Storch and Erin Blessing testified in a courtroom filled mostly with fellow officers there to support Boothe.

Storch and Blessing both said they were standing next to Boothe, who had just caught suspect John Luna, 23. He later pleaded guilty to stealing a car and eluding police that night.

ljs, is Spokane a great place to live? I've been thinking about grad school at Gonzaga. My dream is to eventually move out to the Pacific Northwest one day.

Gonzaga is a great school- I know a lot of people who have graduated from there, and my aunts father was the dean of the English dept for years. I'll send you a PM on more details, but I love it here.

I'm absolutely floored this guy was found not guilty. But I wasn't on the jury-hard to say.

http://www.khq.com/Global/story.asp?S=11110951

SPOKANE, Wash. - A six-person jury has acquitted Spokane police Officer Rob Boothe. He was charged with fourth-degree assault after two officers reported seeing him kick a handcuffed suspect in the face who apparently wasn't struggling to get away.

Defense attorney Rob Cossey says several other officers were at the scene that night and didn't see the alleged kick

I'm absolutely floored this guy was found not guilty. But I wasn't on the jury-hard to say.

I'm gonna fall back on my usual cowardly defense and defer to the people who spent days looking at all of the evidence and testimony, and who ruled unanimously, and assume that they had what they thought was a good reason.

(And I'm going to quietly reflect on a cartoon I saw after the Rodney King officers were acquitted. It shows a grinning, redneck-looking guy in an LAPD hat, and a t-shirt that reads "White men can't jump. But they can beat a black man senseless in front of witnesses and get acquitted".)

Archived