Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sega Sports Madden Killer???

Golgo-13

Sounds interesting. I will withhold judgement until I acutally play it. What do you guys think???

July 07, 2003 - Sega Sports has a secret. They call it a Madden-killer. They think it's the most revolutionary feature to tackle sports videogames since the inception of the Franchise mode. They say people are sick of seeing their favorite players from third-person, and it's time to start seeing what they see and hear what they hear from inside the helmet. It's time for first-person football.

Sure, it's been dabbled at before in games like Madden 64 and even Quarterback Attack with Mike Ditka back in the day, but never before has it been attempted on such a grand scale, and never before has so much been wagered on its success. Sega knew it needed an edge, something to make it stand out from the huddle. Something that was more than just a gimmick.

In first-person mode you take the snap as the quarterback, and looking through your helmet attempt to spot receivers as they break free into the open field as the onslaught of 300-pound defensive tackles and ends storm the pocket and attempt to crush you into the turf. Once the ball is thrown, you can either watch the ball sail toward your wideout from the QB's perspective or quickly switch to control the receiver and attempt to catch the ball while looking through the point of view from players like Moss and T.O.

The best use of first-person is definitely through the eyes of the running back, however, as you grab the pigskin and actually see the hole open up through the line. Act too slow, though, and just like the NFL you'll see how quickly the hole can close, and just how quickly you end up flat on your back. If gameplay is starting to move too fast for you, Sega also incorporates "Bullet Time" slow motion effects that you can utilize to sneak through the defense while things aren't moving quite so quick. There is also a threat meter that shows how close would-be tacklers are to your position, and enables you to bust more timely spins or stiff-arms to maneuver your way down field.

On defense, you can control any player at any time as you attempt to pick passes or sack the quarterback. With a quick tap of the button, you're able to see the position you're supposed to cover in pass defense, or you can throw all strategy out the door and simply try to make the biggest bone-crunching hit possible.

The audio is a lot louder in first-person, and obviously, a lot more focused on the player you're controlling. You'll hear your man grunt and groan with every snap, and the effects of helmet-to-helmet collisions can be jarring.

The only downfall is the fact that there is no two-player split screen mode, although you will be able to play one-on-one first-person football online for both the Xbox and PlayStation 2. Another downer is the fact that first person is a separate mode altogether, so you can't start a normal game, take a couple of snaps in first person, then go back to a normal game. Once you start a first-person game, you're locked into that mode for the duration, so you better get used to it.

After playing a few games in this mode, however, the question remains. Is this the future of sports gaming, or despite all of Sega's hopes, is this just another gimmick? Sports games are meant to play head-to-head, but will being inside Warren Sapp's head be good enough to change gamer's minds? We'll find out when a more complete version comes our way. Until then, get ready for your close-up. Come September, you're finally going to see the world through the eyes of the NFL's best.

And be sure to hit the Media section to check out the new movie of first-person football in action.

I've been saying this for awhile. Sega Sports ESPN NFL game will surprise more than a few people. While it won't outsell Madden (due to the thousands of mindless drones that would buy Madden even if was terrible), I'll bet it will be good enough to make the developers at EA Tiberon reevaluate what they're doing. This first person mode is news to me though....don't know how well it will play out, or whether it will just be a gimmick...

Originally posted by JeffSchmeff

I've been saying this for awhile. Sega Sports ESPN NFL game will surprise more than a few people. While it won't outsell Madden (due to the thousands of mindless drones that would buy Madden even if was terrible), I'll bet it will be good enough to make the developers at EA Tiberon reevaluate what they're doing. This first person mode is news to me though....don't know how well it will play out, or whether it will just be a gimmick...

I don't know if I'm sold on the first person idea. However, I do agree with you about people being Madden lemmings. I am willing to try all 3 and see which is best.

The NFL2K series is for the serious gamers. It is a better all round package then the Madden series. The one thing people like about madden is it is easier to learn and play. For complete football simulation nothing is better then NFL2K

BUT Madden IS NOT terrible.

And the best part of these games is playing someone head to head....online is fine, but nothing is better than talking sh*& to your buddies while drinking.

Madden has camera zoom options when you can practically do this already. It's not 1st person, but it's damn close.

Originally posted by JeffSchmeff

Which is the 3rd one? Sega recently renamed their NFL2k series to ESPN NFL Football to make it more mainstream.

NFL Fever is the third one. But that one is only on Xbox. My buddy and I really got into that one last year and I enjoyed it a great deal.

Originally posted by bigzak25

BUT Madden IS NOT terrible.

And the best part of these games is playing someone head to head....online is fine, but nothing is better than talking sh*& to your buddies while drinking.

Madden has camera zoom options when you can practically do this already. It's not 1st person, but it's damn close.

What I hate about madden is there is no highlights of other games or a football show like primetime with the espn guys, in the new Sega game there will be a lot more ESPN stuff in it :)

Theres always gameday....I've been playing them all since the beginning...

Since the playstation came around I was a Gameday fan up until the PS2 when it began to seriously suck. I had always hated Madden but it got significantly better with the jump to the PS2. I loved the first Sega NFL2k for the Dreamcast but have really hated thier transition to the PS2. I will probably still rent all the football games but I expect to buy Madden.

Originally posted by WallyG3

You never know how a game is going to be until you play it.

Besides, nothing can ever top Tecmo Super Bowl!

That game was a blast. It was the perfect combination of arcade fun with simulation.

I have been a Madden only player, BUT!!!, this year, I played Sega's NCAA basketball game and World Series baseball game and both BLEW EA sports' versions out of the water. The player animations were more realistic, the franchise options were far superior. I will try Sega's Football game this year. I will also try the new Madden, which ever is better stays with me, the loser gets returned.

Madden and NFL2k games have been a close battle, I've given the edge to the sega series every year since nfl2k first game out for dreamcast but both are really good games. Sega really kills EA in the other sports though like nba2k3, sega's tennis game, and nhl2k3

Originally posted by WallyG3

You never know how a game is going to be until you play it.

Besides, nothing can ever top Tecmo Super Bowl!

Yeah, that game rocked. I liked how you could pick the 8 plays you wanted to run against the opponent beforehand.

The gameplay was simple enough to be enjoyable, but complex enough to be challenging.

Sorry, but Sega has been saying this since NFL2K came out for the Dreamcast. It wasn't as good as Madden 2000, but NFL2K1 was probably on par with Madden 2001. Since then Madden has been slowly pulling back ahead in most areas, although I still think the NFL2K/ESPN NFL graphics look better than Madden's..

The problem is that sports games are a unique genre where a consumer buys 1 type per sport per year. No one buys both the Sega and the Madden/EA version of a game. The same can't be said for Company A's Super Ultra Fighting Dudz! vs Company B's Ultra Awesome Nearly Naked Fighting LaydeZ Redux. Until Sega can outperform Madden by a large margin, Madden will be the king.

Originally posted by Canyonero!

No one buys both the Sega and the Madden/EA version of a game.

You couldn't be more wrong there. I know some guys that not only buy both games, but for each system. The true gamers will have both.

Originally posted by jbooma

You couldn't be more wrong there. I know some guys that not only buy both games, but for each system. The true gamers will have both.

Yea, I have a buddy like that. But then again his nickname is Captain Disposable Income, so no suprise there. It's a little more difficult for those of us who have to show some more restraint with the purse strings. Besides, I just steal them off him because he has so many he never notices anyway. :laugh:

i have been Madden only until i got the XBOX... and received NFL Fever... a good football game with the best graphics available... but the game-play wasn't as good and the franchise mode was lacking... that is why i play.

that being said i rarely even play Madden anymore, because I am hooked on NCAA Football by EA Sports, the same game-play style as Madden, similar graphics, but college teams. the franchise mode is awesome and there is even a phase where you recruit prospects (instead of drafting)...

as for the Madden Killer it sounds great, but i don't see it happening on any of the available units except for the XBOX, because of it's capabilities... i am sure however that both PS3 and the next gen Nintendo will be ready for it, at least without having to buy add-ons.

Sure, it's been dabbled at before in games like Madden 64 and even Quarterback Attack with Mike Ditka back in the day, but never before has it been attempted on such a grand scale

lol, I remember the helmet cam on Madden 64. If the graphics weren't so bad (bad compared to what's out there today - not to bad for then), it would have been a nice feature. It sucks doing it from QB though. You couldn't see the WRs.

Archived