Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bold Prediction: '09 Redskins Will Be More Successfull Passing Than Rushing

Springfield

All signs point to more passing yards in 2009.

1. The defense is stronger this year -- the offense gets more opportunity to move the ball.

2. Players now have a full year of experience under their belt in the WCO -- including the 'new' receivers.

3. Campbell's in his 5th year now. It's the traditional 'break-out' year for QBs. Campbell's in his prime and not rehabbing some injury. He's motivated to show something, and since the FO is evaluating him, Jason will get his chances to shine. That means more passes.

4. Zorn has had two training camps and a full year of regular season to see what passes Campbell is better at and which ones Campbell doesn't do so well. No doubt Zorn & Co. have redesigned their playbook to better fit Campbell's strength/weaknesses.

5. We have games against the Rams, Lions, and AFC West (Broncos, Raiders, Chiefs) as well as the Bucs who are in decline. Many of the 'easy' games are at the first part of the season, that should help the passing offense continue to improve and gain in confidence. The conditions are favorable for them to get on track early so maybe they'd even start playing 'in the zone.'

6. (possible, not certain) I'm not certain about the running game this season -- maybe it's still a dominant threat that defenses will have to guard against. However, if it slips at all -- you may see more passing yards than 2008, simply because the Skins are forced to go to the air more often.

PS: I'm still hoping that Snyder does not decide Zorn's fate solely on the basis of the Skins making the playoffs in2009. If Campbell 'falters' and the Skin's 2009 season isn't that great -- I think Snyder should give Zorn a year or two to see what Zorn's group could do without having to rely on Campbell to execute the offense.

Even if we fielded the exact same team as last year, the passing would improve because:

o Jim Zorn, Sherman Smith and Chris Meidt have a year of experience coordinating a passing game and calling plays

o Jason, Moss and Cooley have another year in Zorn's offense

o Zorn is going to use Betts in the passing game

o Campbell was forced to learn how to gain yards using 3 and 5 step drops playing behind a suspect OL

Thankfully we're fielding a better team this year:

OL has improved:

the addition of Dockery and a healthy Samuels and Thomas

depth has at C/G improved with Rinehart, Williams and Montgomery

There are more weapons in the passing and RZ:

Kelly and Thomas appear ready to contribute

Clearly upgraded our 5th WRs

Fred Davis is ready to contribute

These improvements will allow Zorn to have a more complete passing game 3, 5 and 7 step drops this will allow Campbell to throw downfield

The emergence of weapons in the passing game should increase RZ production

PS: I'm still hoping that Snyder does not decide Zorn's fate solely on the basis of the Skins making the playoffs in2009. If Campbell 'falters' and the Skin's 2009 season isn't that great -- I think Snyder should give Zorn a year or two to see what Zorn's group could do without having to rely on Campbell to execute the offense.

This is such a huge key to ever becoming a stable team. Zorn should be retained unless this team completely flops and finishes in bottom 4 teams in the NFC.

Great points Wyvern. It's almost as if we set ourselves up to be a better passing team along with the stability.

I hope you are right. With all of the big names available though, Snyder would likely show Zorn the door if he doesn't produce. I just don't see Snyder keeping Zorn and Co in place if we finish 6-10, Campbell's fault or not.

He isn't even the best back in the league though. If AP can't put up 2,000 yards with a stellar offensive line, I doubt any other back could do it here. CP is a great RB, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. He just isn't that good.

If he couldn't do it with the same team that sprung Terrell Davis for 2,000. He doesn't belong.

OJ and Barry got their 2000+ yard seasons by averaging 6 ypc with a fairly reasonable carry load at ~330 carries each. It's no coincidence that there was a 25 year gap between those two. Erick Dickerson, Jamal Lewis, and Terrell Davis each needed ~385 carries at 5.5 ypc, a load that requires a ton of durability and typically takes a toll on the back's career. All of these guys broke 2k relatively early on in their careers.

All that said, I think Clinton Portis very well could have cracked 2000 when he was with the Broncos. He was in the right system, had a great offensive line, and put up an impressive 5.5 ypc both years. Shanahan just didn't give him the requisite carries. The abrupt end of TD's career pretty much began the recent running back by committee trend which is not at all conducive to excessive carry totals by a single back.

AP could probably still pull it off but he'll lose way too many carries to Chester Taylor for it to ever actually be a possibility.

How come we see this and the overpaid talking heads on the air-waves see it completely different?

The consistency factor will increase yards, on both P and R downs.

Our improved D will force more turnovers and should win the field position battle. We should be facing more tired, unrested D's b/c our D should be making more 3 and outs.

Our bigger receivers have another year and are healthy.

Like has been said, Zorn and coaching crew should have built rapport.

I agree, more passing, but also, more rushing yards. One feeds the other, add the D...

should be playing well into 2010......

Here's something else to think about our passing attack: Money...

How does that figure?

All of our talented young receivers: Kelly, Thomas, Mitchell, Davis have nominal rookie contracts. ARE cap hit next year will be 5 million +

The Redskins have stockpiled talent at the receiver position, if a few of these guys break out they will be looking at big paydays.

I expect that Zorn will use a variety of looks to get teams into mis-matches against our big receivers. No more will defenses just put a safety over the top on Moss and double Cooley and shut down the Redskins passing attack.

If our line can keep the guys off Jason and he improves his vision and play the skins should be set for the post season.

Archived