Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bold Prediction: '09 Redskins Will Be More Successfull Passing Than Rushing

Springfield

I sure hope we are. The more sucessful teams in the NFL over the past decade are teams that pass 60% of the time (super defenses like Steelers and Ravens being exceptions) . I think the team should almost "force" itself into being a passing team. Pass, pass, pass. Use the pass to set up the run is the modern mantra....not 1950's football anymore.
We do need to pass to set up the run.Get those 8 guys out of the box.

Wow. After doing a little research, having a 2,000 yard rusher is rather difficult. Here are the 2,000 yard rushers (according to Wikipedia):

OJ Simpson - 1973

Eric Dickerson - 1984

Barry Sanders - 1998

Terrell Davis - 1998

Jamal Lewis - 2003

That's a pretty elite crew. I highly doubt CP ever running for a 2,000 yard season.

If CP has a 2K season, John Riggins should have to wash his car for a couple weeks. ha.

edit: DAMNIT! Another double post.. grr.. my bad, fellas.. Its been a blurry, fuzzy weekend for me. I apologize and will be sure not to make this same mistake again in the future. Thanks for your patience.

I don't completely agree in respects to our rushing attack. Portis hardly played so I can't say how exactly well we will do. I know your feelings toward Portis, but I think he is still the best RB on this team.

I think it's too early to call our rushing attack weaker than it was last season. If it is though, I think we are in for major trouble as soon as the great defensive minds in the NFL figure that out.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I'm not bashing Portis.

I mean Rabach getting a year older.....he reminds me of Jansen now before he went down.

Randy Thomas a year older.

And how effective Heyer/Williams? can be.

Although CP wasn't in much, I don't recall him seeing much daylight.

If Springfield's prediction is not correct, there is no chance in hell we will make the playoffs. Based on what I've seen at the end of last season and this preseason, we NEED to be a team that passes the ball early and often in games. We don't seem to establish a rhythm or move the ball well when we come out and run it early.

If Springfield's prediction is not correct, there is no chance in hell we will make the playoffs. Based on what I've seen at the end of last season and this preseason, we NEED to be a team that passes the ball early and often in games. We don't seem to establish a rhythm or move the ball well when we come out and run it early.

i feel you bro

I've already assumed this as well, drafting JC in my FF league and making a point not to pickup CP.

No worries, I have Payton starting.

I drafted CP... in the 3rd round... because he was still there. Kinda sad.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I'm not bashing Portis.

I mean Rabach getting a year older.....he reminds me of Jansen now before he went down.

Randy Thomas a year older.

And how effective Heyer/Williams? can be.

Although CP wasn't in much, I don't recall him seeing much daylight.

I think that Heyer will be an asset in the pass game, I'm still waiting to make a call on Williams. Overall, with the line, I think that we are about the same in the run game and improved in the pass game. That is, if everyone can stay healthy.

Mason was able to get some daylight against the Patriots running with the first team offense. I would assume that Portis could do as good, if not better.

Wow. After doing a little research, having a 2,000 yard rusher is rather difficult. Here are the 2,000 yard rushers (according to Wikipedia):

OJ Simpson - 1973

Eric Dickerson - 1984

Barry Sanders - 1998

Terrell Davis - 1998

Jamal Lewis - 2003

That's a pretty elite crew. I highly doubt CP ever running for a 2,000 yard season.

I think Davis and Lewis would have less less yards on the Skins than CP. Dickerson and Sanders would have more. Barry couldn't even come close to CP's blocking ability, but put up yards with horrible surrounding talent. Dickerson was pretty exceptional in every way as an athlete on the field. Jim Brown would get 2k in a 16 game season as well.

I would put CP up there with this group. The guy is a warrior and is insanely talented. It is a shame the entire fan base doesn't recognize it.

I would put CP up there with this group. The guy is a warrior and is insanely talented. It is a shame the entire fan base doesn't recognize it.

I don't discount CP one bit. He is excellent back. He's my favorite Redskin. I'd even venture to say that he is the best Redskins RB in my lifetime.

He isn't even the best back in the league though. If AP can't put up 2,000 yards with a stellar offensive line, I doubt any other back could do it here. CP is a great RB, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. He just isn't that good.

If he couldn't do it with the same team that sprung Terrell Davis for 2,000. He doesn't belong.

I think Davis and Lewis would have less less yards on the Skins than CP. Dickerson and Sanders would have more. Barry couldn't even come close to CP's blocking ability, but put up yards with horrible surrounding talent. Dickerson was pretty exceptional in every way as an athlete on the field. Jim Brown would get 2k in a 16 game season as well.

Barry dosen't have to block..he is a one man team..Give him the ball and watch greatness

I get the impression that Jim Zorn isn't as WCO oriented as he was billed.
I'm not sure that's true. His whole offense hadn't been implemented last year. He said at the beginning of the season that he wanted to have a 60/40 pass/rush ratio. He couldn't do it last year because the team as a whole was still learning the system. His playbook was further limited by the Oline injuries in the 2nd half of last year. From what I understand, the whole playbook has now been opened up. Now that his whole offense is in place, a couple of the old farts from last year's Oline have been replaced by young guys, the sophomore pass catchers have a better understanding of what to do, and the Oline has had an offseason to heal up, I think we might now see Zorn's original vision for this offense.

Now that his whole offense is in place, a couple of the old farts from last year's Oline have been replaced by young guys, the sophomore pass catchers have a better understanding of what to do, and the Oline has had an offseason to heal up, I think we might now see Zorn's original vision for this offense.

Or his evaluated version of the offense.

If you think about it, we should be expecting to be a better passing team then running team. I mean this is a West Coast Offense and what Jim Zorn was brought in here to do. Last season was really just a year of teaching and prepartion for this season. I mean we really didn't get to see anything of what the WCO has to offer. Alot of us (including me) griped and still do at the selection of 3 pass catchers in the 2nd round of last years draft but they are slowly becoming very important assets to our offense that look like will produce for years to come. In the preseason we have seen the potential fire power that this offense now holds and it will only get better. If the O-line can stay healthy I think this is gonna be one hell of a year for us and we still have alot of room to grow.

Meaning?

Meaning, he can use the WR's and the QB to their capability. He knows what Campbell and Co. are capable of. He knows who to put where to put his resources.

I think Zorn is smart enough to put his own spin on what he knows best. He calls the plays. It's his game to call.

The key to us having a more successful pass offense will of course rely on the blocking. However, I think another thing that will help is because we will likely attempt more deep passes than last year. That will keep defenses alot more honest. Needless to say, that also will benefit Portis. He could end up with 1497 yards again, with many fewer carries. Which would mean a much fresher Portis, come the 2nd half, and into the playoffs (hopefully).

I also agree that with the 4 "new" receivers (3 from last years draft and another this year) that are catching the ball we have the potential to have a really good passing attack.

If I remember last season correctly dropped passes were a frequent occurrence. The new guys appear to have better hands and that alone should make for better success in moving the ball. I also recall that Santana was double covered a lot; and with these new receivers contributing Santana may have more opportunities this season.

last season Jim Zorn was unable to stretch the field because Jason did not have time for the long pass to develop. To have a potent offense the OL must protect better and enable Jim Zorn to call plays that stretch the field with a deep pass threat. If we can accomplish that we will make their DBs play back to protect against the big play, the LBs will need to play back to protect the quick slants, and that will make it much easier for our running game to work. In short if our OL can protect well enough to make defenses respect a deep pass threat then our entire offense will be very good.

The other factor is that last season we had trouble scoring the TD when getting into the red-zone. Having the big receivers who have good hands should bring a significant improvement in scoring TDs.

So YES, I agree that our offense has the potential for being really good IF our OL is able to pass protect well enough to allow Jim Zorn to call some deep pass plays (like we saw in preseason).

The passing game will be just as important to our offense as the Patriots passing game is to theirs, but yardage numbers won't tell the story. Like most good teams, the Pats pass to get the lead and then run to hold it, so the number of running attempts and the yardage stats don't tell the full story.

The Redskins have been a running team since Norv Turner left by default -- because we have been unable to put a consistently effective passing game on the field. That's what Jim Zorn was expected to change when he was hired as our coach. To me, it looks like Z's been given the talent to get the job done and Jason is a much improved QB.

Archived