Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Justin Tryon

bulldog

Green played in an era where the Art Monks were the exception. Most teams had receivers that were in that 5'10 to 6'0 range. At 5'8 Green was able to survive on speed and anticipation.

Remember how much trouble Green had late in his career with Michael Irvin who was 6'3?

Irvin minus the push off doesn't do nearly as well against Green. I remember a 38 year old Darrell Green clamping down on Randy Moss.

If Green thinks Tyron is a player, that goes a long way.

I don't hate Tryon, but any back that wears the dreaded number twenty is doomed.

:hysterical: That reminds me of Heath Shuler coming in. When a reporter asked him why he took the number he did, he basically said, "Because no one else has this number and I can put my own stamp on it."

I bet that number felt violated for having Shulers "stamp" all over it.

That's the funny thing. Who was covering Andre Reed (6'2") in the Skins' last SB? Green.

Who had to cover Tim Brown (6'1") when we played the Raiders right before making the playoffs the following year? Green.

It's not like Michael Irvin was the first big receiver ever. There were plenty of big receivers in the late 80's and 90's. Keenan McCardell (6'1"), Herman Moore (6'4"), Jimmy Smith (6'2"), Chris Carter (6'3"), Jerry Rice (6'2"). In comparison, Irvin was only 6'2", so it's not like he was this mamoth 6'6" receiver. If Green had struggled against all those guys, he wouldn't be in the HoF, and definitely not 1st ballot.

5'9" is fine.

:no: There's just one problem with this line of reasoning. Tryon is no Darrell Green. Green made up for his lack of height with great leaping ability. I've never been able to find Green's vertical #, but Tryon's vertical wasn't even in the top three of his draft class IIRC. Therefore I think it's likely that if he's ever matched up against a big WR, he'll get abused until we take him off the field.

I think if he's ever going to make it in the NFL he'd better learn how to cover from the slot.

Its easy to be down on Tyron, but I'm glad we kept him. People are so excited about Alridge, but you can say the same thing about Tyron. Things like technique can be taught. Things like speed can't. Tyron has the speed, but his technique wasn't always there.

People complained about Tyron last season, but last year his problem wasn't that he couldn't cover, he was always in position, just never seemed to turn his head quick enough. This year he was turning his head (in all 4 games). Against Baltimore, he was giving too much room. This is something that can be taught.

And bulldog, you speak of DG as if he couldn't beat any big WRs. Pretty much the only one that was able to do anything on him was Irvin, but the big WRs weren't a new concept invented after he left the league. He played against some other big names too and shut them down, I think I remember Carter being shut down by Green, and maybe Randy Moss.

Right now I don't want him starting games, but the hatred this guy gets is a shame. Now Westbrook had a horrible game against Jacksonville. He made #11 for the Jaguars look like a pro-bowler.

Actually, its the small WR that are 'new'. Until the '70s, size in your WR was, with a few notable exceptions, a requirement. Small WR had a hard time when the basic coverage method was to knock the guy down and sit on him.

Let's get one thing straight: Tryon was HORRENDOUS last preseason.

He was, but even with that horrible preseason, I saw improvement. He went from looking completely lost to at least knowing where his guy was. It wasn't much, but it was progress.

I was interested to seeif his improvement would continue, and I think he has. The first game they decided to try something new with him in the slot, and it was a learning experience. I saw at least solid play from him the rest of the preseason. He's not going to remind anyone of Green, but he looks like he's not going to hurt you back there either.

BTW, the coaching staff has shown a lot of like for him.

:no: There's just one problem with this line of reasoning. Tryon is no Darrell Green. Green made up for his lack of height with great leaping ability. I've never been able to find Green's vertical #, but Tryon's vertical wasn't even in the top three of his draft class IIRC. Therefore I think it's likely that if he's ever matched up against a big WR, he'll get abused until we take him off the field.

I think if he's ever going to make it in the NFL he'd better learn how to cover from the slot.

You're mistaking my defending Green because people saying he was bad against tall receivers to mean that I think Tryon is Darrell Green. I never said that.

What I mean from all this is that obviously if a guy can be that size and play at a HoF level against bigger receivers, then a guy can end up being a decent CB at that size too. People are acting like it's impossible for him to be a decent corner because he's 5'9" which has been proven wrong.

As for his verticle, I'm not sure what you expect, but a 35" vertical leap is pretty good. Not dominating, but against smaller slot receivers, like Welker (5'9"), it's not a severe disadvantage. I don't see him lining up against TO any time soon, but there are plenty of smaller speedy guys to use him against where he could be effective.

If his comments were 100% unbiased you'd have to believe Darrell Green, but I don't see how he wouldn't be biased. I don't care if he had trouble with big receivers, he knows more than everyone here combined about the cornerback position.

Isn't that amazing though, 20 years of professional experience playing CB and people are questioning his integrity - as if he has some reason to lie?!

If his comments were 100% unbiased you'd have to believe Darrell Green, but I don't see how he wouldn't be biased. I don't care if he had trouble with big receivers, he knows more than everyone here combined about the cornerback position.

Isn't that amazing though, 20 years of professional experience playing CB and people are questioning his integrity - as if he has some reason to lie?!

Archived