Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SPECIAL TEAMS(Rock Cartwright)

homerjones

Is it possible that the Redskins keep four running backs without even counting cartwright as a running back? Rock is a decent kickoff return man and he is very good at special teams coverage so I'm wondering if Rock can make this team as a special teams guy only. He is an average running back average everything except on special teams.

I know that 4 or 5 guys can't make the team just to play special teams only but if Rock makes the team he'll never see time as a running back as long as Portis, Betts, and Mason are ahead of him. So i'm wondering if the Skins are willing to keep 1 or 2 guys as just special teams aces?

Is it possible that the Redskins keep four running backs without even counting cartwright as a running back? Rock is a decent kickoff return man and he is very good at special teams coverage so I'm wondering if Rock can make this team as a special teams guy only. He is an average running back average everything except on special teams.

I know that 4 or 5 guys can't make the team just to play special teams only but if Rock makes the team he'll never see time as a running back as long as Portis, Betts, and Mason are ahead of him. So i'm wondering if the Skins are willing to keep 1 or 2 guys as just special teams aces?

well with the 25 O guys that would mean 4 special teamers and only 24 defensive players. Which I suppose is possible. 8 linemen might be enough when two of our LBs also play end.

It's not unheard of I don't think. Steve Tasker was barely considered a WR with the Bills.

well with the 25 O guys that would mean 4 special teamers and only 24 defensive players. Which I suppose is possible. 8 linemen might be enough when two of our LBs also play end.

It's not unheard of I don't think. Steve Tasker was barely considered a WR with the Bills.

of course we already have a couple of kickers who ONLY do one thing, and suisham doens;t do even that very well. but what is the price for a couple of special team guys who can make the tackle everytime and keep the other team from running back a punt or kickoff 50 yards?

PRICELESS in my opinion.

p.s. the point is that handing the ball off to RUNNING BACK Rock Cartwright is a wasted play might as well just move the ball forward 1 yard and say "next down". his only value would be as a special teams ace.

Rock is too important to special teams to get rid of, and I'm not talking about kick returns. He can be a head hunter on the ball returner on the kicking side. We've had a lot of long returns on us in this area during preseason.

With the announcement of 25 offensive players, I gotta think that a fourth rb will be on the squad. No other offensive position has shown as much potential to add an additional roster spot.

It's gotta be between Mason and Alridge. I think Mason will get it, personally. I could be wrong, tho.

Every team keeps a couple of guys as special teams aces.

This issue has been beaten to a pulp in multiple threads...

Many people come on here at different times during the day to discuss things relating to our favorite team. Maybe we don't see some things here and there.

Care to provide some links?

With that said, Alridge's fumble will likely lose him the spot. That wasn't just some simple mistake. That was a game changing mistake that could make us lose a regular season game, knowing how close we play games points wise.

That's why I see Mason in front of him.

The problem I see with Mason making the team, with its current lineup, is that he really doesn't add anything. He is a fine player, but he is the same as Portis, Betts, and Rock already in that he has some power and some ok speed, but nothing different. That is why they were looking so hard at Dorsey and Alridge, they would be able to add some speed to the team, and offer a potentially different look in addition to what we have.

The only way I see Mason making the team is if they decide to release Betts. And, while this could happen, the only way it does is if Mason has proven that he can pass block well enough on third downs when he is required to stay in the backfield and do so.

He has already shown that he runs as well as Betts, and probable better in short yardage plays as he runs with more power, energy, and makes better decisions on his cuts. Mason doesn't go down at the LOS or behind unless the blocking completely breaks down. Betts unfortunately does get caught at the LOS frequently.

So, imo, of Mason does make the team, it will be to replace Betts, while still leaving a spot open for a change of pace in Dorsey or Alridge.

Tasker was without question the greatest special teams defender in the last 25 years. Cartwright simply does not make that significant an impact. He is a more than adequate kickoff returner, that is about it. I do think it is possible that Aldridge's fumble the other night may have saved Cartwright.

The problem I see with Mason making the team, with its current lineup, is that he really doesn't add anything. He is a fine player, but he is the same as Portis, Betts, and Rock already in that he has some power and some ok speed, but nothing different. That is why they were looking so hard at Dorsey and Alridge, they would be able to add some speed to the team, and offer a potentially different look in addition to what we have.

I think he's a little bit faster than the other guys

Tasker was without question the greatest special teams defender in the last 25 years. Cartwright simply does not make that significant an impact. He is a more than adequate kickoff returner, that is about it. I do think it is possible that Aldridge's fumble the other night may have saved Cartwright.

when the Skins needed to shut down Josh Cribbs last year they had Cartwright deal with him instead of his normal assignments. If they automatically looked to him to do it I'd say he's the guy they'd normally ask to do it in the situation. So he's more than a kickoff returner.

Teams win superbowl with players like ROCk!! he has the 3main ingredients that a superbowl players have..Heart,He's Clutch,and consistant...You people on here are funny to me...been watching your team for years and still don't know who they are..SMFH..It would'nt be Redskins fans if they did n't want to replace a Good consistant player with some random gamble.. are team is too soft for a speedy returner!!We need solider's returning not dancers! Remember ARE,Chad Morton rings a bell anyone..Great return men into they came to Washington..Why?because we are soft.Great Blocking is not the reason why Rock is consistantly starting the offense off at the 30yrd line..Its his Heart& determination.IMHO I love constantly starting off at the 30 yrd line or better

Every pre-season many on ES count Rock out yet he continues to perform and make the team.

When if ever is Mason going to see playing time if Portis, Betts and Cartwright are all healthy? Can only squeeze in so many RB on the 45 man active list and I see Mason as the odd man out.

Special teamers are on the bubble every year. He is a slightly above average special teamer. He does not shut down the opposition returners. He may get a few nice tackles but who wouldnt with his reps? Watch all the returns for TD's we gave up the past few years - he and thrash were slow as molasses and no where near the play. I personally think an overhaul of our special teams was needed. We need change. Few talk about it but our special teams have sucked. ARE returning punts - not working.

The problem I have with Rock is that he doesnt help out on offense, and doesnt have great speed for being such a tiny RB. His best trait, consistent on his kick returns. Heart soul leader against all odds - dont win games.

Every pre-season many on ES count Rock out yet he continues to perform and make the team.

When if ever is Mason going to see playing time if Portis, Betts and Cartwright are all healthy? Can only squeeze in so many RB on the 45 man active list and I see Mason as the odd man out.

no way... i think mason actually takes rocks carries away from him... rock is on this team for special teams....

no way... i think mason actually takes rocks carries away from him... rock is on this team for special teams....

How many carries does Rock ever get in regular season? Agree Rock is on the team and active for his ST roles.

Portis is the starter and Zorn stated Betts is the 3rd down back. As I see it Mason is not competing for the game day active list with Rock his competition is Betts. Will they activate all 4 of them for game days? I guess we will see.

Archived