Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo! Sports: Unemployed Harrison generating little interest

Hiro

I kinda found this article interesting, considering that Marvin Harrison is kinda considered by some to be the modern day Art Monk due to his quiet behavior and his lack of communication with the press.

The consensus opinion about Harrison, who at 6-foot, 185 pounds never has been an overpowering receiver, is that he has lost a lot of quickness. That quickness allowed him to get away from defenders in the past. Without it, opposing teams regularly were able to cover Harrison, who averaged a career-low 10.6 yards per catch last season, with nickel and dime cornerbacks.

What makes Harrison’s physical condition worse is that he offers limited potential on special teams, the prevailing thought of personnel guys. Though he occasionally could catch punts, backup wide receivers commonly have to be able to play special teams.

In addition, there is a perception that Harrison had an attitude problem. Cleverly hidden for years behind Harrison’s Garbo routine is that he and quarterback Peyton Manning(notes) didn’t get along, which could be the fault of either player. However, there is a memorable exchange that an opposing coach once had with Harrison before a game in 2006. When the coach noticed that Harrison was catching punts in warmups, he walked over to Harrison to ask what was going on.

“Marvin smiled a little, just a little, and then said, serious as a heart attack, ‘It’s the only way to get the ball around here,’ ” the coach said of a player who set an NFL record with 143 grabs in 2002 but was limited to just 80 the past two seasons.

Harrison has been deemed to be just as much a diva as a number of other receivers – without the high-profile public displays. That said, it allegedly annoyed plenty of people, which is why the Colts ultimately cut ties with him in the offseason.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-directsnap082509&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Has anyboy ever heard of this? I remember Manning mentioning during the America's Game special that Harrison always wanted the ball, but I've never heard of him being referred to as a "diva".

I didn't think this was such a surprise after that whole shooting incident unfolded. I'm pretty sure it was ESPN that had this huge article examining Marvin's upbringing and what he's like to people who grew up around him, and it wasn't a pretty picture painted at all. Hard to say what's really fact and what isn't, but to me he never seemed like a real nice guy, just wasn't a big talker in public about anything.

It's ridiculous that he isn't even signed by a team yet. :helmet:

If he can no longer play with Peyton Manning, who would he able to play with?

I always got the sense with him that he wasn't a big team guy. Kind of like TO, but w/o the histrionics.

he's one of the quietest, low profile badasses around, at least he was. From everything that I have read, he seems like a scary dude.

Good description. Same impression I've gotten when reading about him, too. There's a sense that if he didn't play football, he could have been a pretty good professional assassin.

If he can no longer play with Peyton Manning, who would he able to play with?

I always got the sense with him that he wasn't a big team guy. Kind of like TO, but w/o the histrionics.

Unless someone knows for sure about that, everything else is just hearsay. The Colts had to do a serious purge of their cap. :helmet:

Archived