Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Experience 2009

SonnyandSam

Seems the game day experience is very, very important to many fans....for me....I show up to watch the football game. All the other stuff means very little to me and certainly does not get me all hot and bothered like some of you who want an HDTV in front of your stadium seats or your own personal cheerleader. :D

Anyway, it seems the Skins are attempting to make some minor improvements in our game day experience. The "improved" tailgating and parking experience needs a tad ;) more work but that is addressed in several other threads; so I won't go into it here.

Larry Michael mentioned a few new things on Redskins Nation tonight. New "pyrotechnics" which we saw a little of at Saturday's game. For you TV viewers, that was not fog or clouds you saw on your HDTV screens but rather the smoke from the fireworks that would not leave the field because of the dampness and lack of wind. Larry hinted we would see more of that this season.

Larry also said the Skins will have a new helmet to run out of and a new fog machine.

I noticed a few other things on Saturday which I hope are a trend. The number of verbal advertisements seemed down from last year. I don't know if that is a conscious decision or just preseason or the bad economy. Except for that darn "clap, clap, clap" song, the music seemed less invasive and more enjoyable; certainly not as loud as last year. A lot less of that ugly rap and bad heavy metal and more of the Redskins Marching Band! OK...I think this is an improvement....some of you may not.

At the beginning of the game was an intro about FedEx being our house and how we, as fans, can make a difference for the team. I know this stuff is common sense to us die hards but you all have to admit, we have added a lot of really stupid fans lately who insist on making noise or doing the wave when we are on offense.

Food and drink prices are the same; although the domestic taps were not working. Not sure what's up with that. The rain wiped out my tailgate; so I recommend the sausage over the stadium dog if you have to. A buck cheaper and tastier. And both were too hot to handle when I got them.

For the disabled, you no longer have to go to the concierge window to get your handicapped passes for the elevator. You will be issued wrist bands on the elevator; just ask so you can go back down after the game.

So a few small improvements. Let's hope the parking gets squared away over the next couple games.

What was different about the pyrotechnics? Were there more?

The pyro was toned down just a tad from what we've come to know throughout this decade. Despite the lingering smoke, the display was a little more tasteful than normal.

I was prepared for the pregame pyro sonic boom which never came. :D

The big boom is so loud in the lower level it startles some into dropping their drinks to cover their ears. A totally unnecessary effect and I didn't miss it at all. But then again, I'm not a fan of any pyro or player intros in preseason.

Seems the game day experience is very, very important to many fans....for me....I show up to watch the football game. All the other stuff means very little to me and certainly does not get me all hot and bothered like some of you who want an HDTV in front of your stadium seats or your own personal cheerleader. :D

This is someone who gets it.

I've said this all along. As long as I have an unobstructed view of the field, everything else is fluff.

I'm there to watch a football game. Many people have forgotten why they're going to the games in the first place.

With the exception of some of those heinous OV seats, the view of the field is excellent.

Even the lite-brite jumbotron doesn't bother me that much. We got by ok at RFK without one. It forces you to pay stay more focused on the action on the field.

It's our house and I like it.

Larry also said the Skins will have a new helmet to run out of and a new fog machine.

The fog machine is a Baltimore thing, not sure why we need that now.

The inflatable football helmet is like the football helmet golf carts of the 80s. Something cheezy we'll look back on in 20 years and wonder why.:silly:

The pyro, the blairing DJ music, and Mark Kessler screaming into the mic make me envy what other NFL fans get to experience.:doh:

Any measure to reduce the WWE like pregame at FedEx is alright with me, but I'm not holding my breath.;)

This is someone who gets it.

I've said this all along. As long as I have an unobstructed view of the field, everything else is fluff.

I'm there to watch a football game. Many people have forgotten why they're going to the games in the first place.

With the exception of some of those heinous OV seats, the view of the field is excellent.

Even the lite-brite jumbotron doesn't bother me that much. We got by ok at RFK without one. It forces you to pay stay more focused on the action on the field.

It's our house and I like it.

Fedex Field and your shrimp. It doesn't get any better than that.

The music was so much better. A lot more classic songs appropriate for children. None of this Lil Wayne, Kanye etc. I like Kanye but not at a football game. Now just get a new scoreboard. No don't be retarded and put it in the stadium like Jerry Jones did but it's too small for someone who sits in section 440. That's my only complaint about sitting up there

I was surprised to see a hundred people or so smoking in the lower level concourse. Not by the part open to the air, but everywhere. Apparently there's no enforcement of state and local no-smoking laws, although there were no-smoking signs posted everywhere. I walked about 1/2 the lower concourse at half time and this was prevalant throughout.

I asked the two ushers I saw during this time whether they enforce no smoking. They said that, well, ya, if we see someone right next to us, but they each had assigned positions and couldn't leave the doors they were assigned to watch. I asked the PG County paramedics who were sitting in their golf cart, who said that the PG County cops in the concourse are supposed to enforce it. I asked two PG County cops I saw in the concourse and they said that the ushers are supposed to enforce it. I asked Guest Services and I was apparently annoying them. I did fill out a complaint form (I am sure Dan Snyder will pay particularly close attention).

I feel sorry for the people that have to work in the concourse all day.

Has it always been like this?

I'd imagine they're doing everything they can at this point to keep people happy and coming back. That would include allowing smokers to do their thing. There have been a couple bars that shut down in our area because they quit allowing smoking and people stopped coming because of it. This is just speculation of course, but seems they really don't care about enforcing it.

I can deal with the smell, but it sucks for the people working down there and even the kids that come to games and have to deal with that.

I was surprised to see a hundred people or so smoking in the lower level concourse. Not by the part open to the air, but everywhere. Apparently there's no enforcement of state and local no-smoking laws, although there were no-smoking signs posted everywhere. I walked about 1/2 the lower concourse at half time and this was prevalant throughout.

I asked the two ushers I saw during this time whether they enforce no smoking. They said that, well, ya, if we see someone right next to us, but they each had assigned positions and couldn't leave the doors they were assigned to watch. I asked the PG County paramedics who were sitting in their golf cart, who said that the PG County cops in the concourse are supposed to enforce it. I asked two PG County cops I saw in the concourse and they said that the ushers are supposed to enforce it. I asked Guest Services and I was apparently annoying them. I did fill out a complaint form (I am sure Dan Snyder will pay particularly close attention).

I feel sorry for the people that have to work in the concourse all day.

Has it always been like this?

Up until last year smoking was allowed anywhere on the LL concourses, and to be quite honest.. its all open! The rule is stupid.. and dont give me any crap about it being enclosed because the parts that have more cover act like a wind tunnel!! Its not like the smoke lingers in there or anything. Yes smoke is gross to those that do not smoke, even being a smoker myself, I think its gross, but come on.. the LL is not enclosed like the club level is....and when i see a person light up in their seats.. i notify an usher.

Also, when we are told to goto the ramp areas to smoke.. THERE ARE NO TV's!! That really sucks.. if they are going to force us into one area to smoke at least give us a damn tv so we can watch the game and not miss any plays.

I am hoping there are more and better improvements coming for the regular season...but Saturday was a start.

People should add compliments and complaints during the season after home games. Sounds like the Skins TO and others are reading some of these threads and maybe we can provide them with some feedback and ideas to make the game day experience better.

I also saw more smokers on the concourse than normal. Hey, Skins are you reading this?

I did notice more security. I saw at least 1 or 2 security at both portals on either side of 424 during the entire game. And the folks were actually looking into the stands from time to time for any problems....which there were none. Steeler fans, like most cowgirl and giant fans know how to behave for the most part, unlike eagle fans. I think fans who have won Super Bowls get it; you can have fun, be loud and proud without being angry and abusive like eagle fans always are. I know there are exceptions; but I have a lot of good natured trash talking with most Steeler, cowgirl and giants fans; not so with eagle fans.

I do have a complaint I am going to make to the Skins. There were two teenage Steeler fans in front of me. Came in as drunk as I have ever seen anyone. The younger/smaller one spent most of his time in the bathroom puking his guts out and was very quiet when in his seat. The other pimply faced kid went out and bought two more beers during the first half. He admitted he was under 21 and I wonder if he was even over 18. He was a nice kid but who really wants to deal with a drunk fan standing and using obscenities a few time; (he wasn't excessive). A Redskins dad in the row in front moved him and his three young sons to another section near the end of the first quarter. The two drunk kids left at halftime and said they were going to go sit in the lower level...fine with me. If I lit a match, our section would have gone up in flames fromt the fumes. Even the Steeler fans behind me were complaining about the kid and how drunk he was.

Up until last year smoking was allowed anywhere on the LL concourses, and to be quite honest.. its all open! The rule is stupid.. and dont give me any crap about it being enclosed because the parts that have more cover act like a wind tunnel!! Its not like the smoke lingers in there or anything. Yes smoke is gross to those that do not smoke, even being a smoker myself, I think its gross, but come on.. the LL is not enclosed like the club level is....and when i see a person light up in their seats.. i notify an usher.

Also, when we are told to goto the ramp areas to smoke.. THERE ARE NO TV's!! That really sucks.. if they are going to force us into one area to smoke at least give us a damn tv so we can watch the game and not miss any plays.

I have no interest in giving you crap DButz65, however, I do not think the rule is stupid, and is probably required by local and state ordinances. I noted that the smell of smoke in the lower concourse was very heavy, and smoke was visible in many places. That is not good for anyone to breath, but is especially bad for the vendors who work in that area all day. Most of the smokers were standing where smoking was allowed -- over by the chain link fences -- and the exposure to fresh air there helped to dissipate the smoke. However, many were standing near the vending areas/bathrooms which did not appear to be receiving any ventillation, based on the smell and appearance of the smoke.

I smelled it as soon as I exited the tunnel from my seating area. If you can smell it, it is causing harm.

Archived