Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per 980 Twitter: Stallworth Suspended All Season, No Pay

tiger187126

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4396130

Stallworth suspended for 2009

ESPN.com news services

Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte' Stallworth has been suspended without pay for the 2009 season for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy and its substance abuse policy, the league said Thursday.

Stallworth, who pleaded guilty to DUI manslaughter in Florida in connection with a March 14 incident in which he struck and killed a pedestrian, will be reinstated after the Super Bowl in February 2010, the league said.

In a letter to Stallworth, commissioner Roger Goodell, who suspended Stallworth indefinitely on June 18, two days after Stallworth pleaded guilty, said "I believe that further consequences are necessary" in addition to the 30-day jail sentence, house arrest and probation that Stallworth was handed as a result of his plea.

"There is no question that your actions had tragic consequences to an innocent man and his family, and that you have violated both the Substances of Abuse and Personal Conduct Policies," Goodell said. "In that respect, you are clearly guilty of conduct detrimental to the integrity of and public confidence in the NFL."

"Your conduct endangered yourself and others, leading to the death of an innocent man. The NFL and NFL players must live with the stain that you have placed on their reputations," Goodell said.

I'm kind of torn, I mean this is a make up call for sure. His sentence was a joke and he's even getting that reduced. He was high/drunk and killed a guy, and I watched him on the E:60 interview and he didn't seem remorseful (my opinion). the one thing that really irked me is that when the guy asked him about being high and drunk and killing a guy all he said was "there's things that haven't come out yet." i find it hard to believe that, especially since he said he flashed his lights at the guy. that makes me think that had he been in his right mind he would have been better able to avoid him.

it's a strict punishment, but how many millions has this guy already made?

I think the punishment fits the crime. I wish Goodell had been the commissioner when Leonard Little made this same mistake, because at this point Little would be out of the league for driving drunk again for some idiotic reason.

How the hell can you say the punishment fit the crime?

HE KILLED SOMEONE.

I can guarantee if he killed one of your relatives etc you would feel entirely different on the subject.

What if it was your brother? Your mother?

I'm sure you would say:

"Ah. Bummer. But he paid for his crime."

it's funny, i was listening to 980 yesterday with the whole mike vick thing and it's unbelievable how we treat athletes.

i mean it has gotten to the point where a player has killed another man and we're (me included) wondering wether a year suspension is too harsh.

on the face of it this is such a ridiculous argument.

people were calling into 980 agreeing with a NY Times article with Jesse Jackson quotes, that Mike Vick is being held out of the league by some higher power and that he should be given a spot on a team. it's insane.

not to drag michael vick into this, but lets take a gander:

stallworth drives drunk and kills a man - serves almost no jail time, one year suspension from NFL.

michael vicks runs a cruel dogfighting ring and gets almost 2 years in jail, and probably a 4 game suspension.

someone explain this to me.

I had the same questions. Sometimes the Justice system isn't always the best.

stallworth drives drunk and kills a man - serves almost no jail time, one year suspension from NFL.

michael vicks runs a cruel dogfighting ring and gets almost 2 years in jail, and probably a 4 game suspension.

Amazing isn't it?

I believe Vick is a dirtbag. I believe the sentence he received was just. He paid his dues. I still don't want to see Vick back in the NFL.

Stallworth should never be allowed to play again.

i will.

dogs can't be paid off. that's the sad truth of this story.

but to your question, the NFL can't affect the court system. all they can do is try to levy what they feel is a just punishment.

mike vick committed a felony, that's how he got so much jail time. it wasn't the disgusting and ruthless killing of dogs, it was the fact that he was moving money across state lines and once the feds get you you're toast.

i will.

dogs can't be paid off. that's the sad truth of this story.

but to your question, the NFL can't affect the court system. all they can do is try to levy what they feel is a just punishment.

mike vick committed a felony, that's how he got so much jail time. it wasn't the disgusting and ruthless killing of dogs, it was the fact that he was moving money across state lines and once the feds get you you're toast.

good point, it just always gets lost that he was in jail for the money, not the dogs.

but youre right, im sure stallworth paid that family millions.

good point, it just always gets lost that he was in jail for the money, not the dogs.

but youre right, im sure stallworth paid that family millions.

here's the part that's even worse, there will be a bigger outcry against vick returning than stallworth.

in this country the people who care about animals are more powerful and prevalent than the people who care about people.

Intent has something to do with it. One is very malicious and the other was an "accident". Although Stallworth was drunk and killed a man, there was no intent whatsoever. That was not what he set out to do. Vick on the otherhand, bankrolled the operation, owned dogs particpating and he participated in brutally killing dogs that did not perform. Vick knew what he was doing and had every intention on keeping the operation going, until he got caught.

Intent has something to do with it. One is very malicious and the other was an "accident". Although Stallworth was drunk and killed a man, there was no intent whatsoever. That was not what he set out to do. Vick on the otherhand, bankrolled the operation, owned dogs particpating and he participated in brutally killing dogs that did not perform. Vick knew what he was doing and had every intention on keeping the operation going, until he got caught.

So Stallworth didn't know that after being drunk and high you shouldn't drive a car?

So Stallworth didn't know that after being drunk and high you shouldn't drive a car?
:doh::doh::doh::doh:I did not say that at all. Everytime anyone gets behind the wheel there is a possibility of accidentally killing someone. There are plenty of people that have had accidents and killed someone with a car and never served time. Stallworth did not intend on killing anyone. Vick had every intention on doing exactly what he did.

I wonder what their stance is on that pitbull that killed the 19 year old.

they would want to rehab the dog and train people to behave better around dogs so they don't provoke an attack.

i'm not exaggerating, PETA and others like them are insane.

the humane society wants mike vick to go out and speak about what he's done to try to prevent it from happening again, PETA wants something a little different....

Archived