Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

cbsnews: Post Service Faces Closures, Consolidation

Thiebear

In another thread as I was bashing everything the government does because, well they SUCK at everything. Someone got on and said what about the Post office, they have a 1 billion surplus. Then is saw this and did a search on ES looking for that post. didn't see it.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/08/04/national/main5210968.shtml

(AP) The local post office long has been the center of many American communities, but with people turning increasingly to the Internet to send messages and pay bills, financial losses are forcing the Postal Service to consider consolidating or closing hundreds of local facilities.

The post office is facing a $7 billion loss this year despite a 2-cent rate increase. Now the agency has sent a list of nearly 700 potential candidates for closing or consolidation to the independent Postal Regulatory Commission for review, and officials say more may be added.

Some of the offices could be closed while others might have some of their functions consolidated with other offices.

Fail.

I personally use the post office for absolutely nothing. Other than to receive junk.

crazy, but we're looking at only getting mail 5 days a week. My guess would be taking away Tuesday, or Wednesday delivery.

Not to mention, it's not THAT often that i need to go into a Post Office, but when i do, it's usually pretty crowded if i'm waiting in line to mail a package or something. I can only imagine how much of a pain it's going to be when there's only 1 or 2 branches open around my immediate area to go to.

I recall that post in a thread too. I think often the Post Office is cited as being an example of efficiency more due to the strong "lost mail" metric. They are great in that area, but other areas need serious work.

To me, the most logical and easy way to force Post Office performance would be to legalize competition for first class mail.

crazy, but we're looking at only getting mail 5 days a week. My guess would be taking away Tuesday, or Wednesday delivery.

Huh? I've only heard about taking away Saturday delivery, which I don't even think would be a very big deal. It's Saturday. It's not a business day. It's really not all that important.

I recall that post in a thread too. I think often the Post Office is cited as being an example of efficiency more due to the strong "lost mail" metric. They are great in that area, but other areas need serious work.

To me, the most logical and easy way to force Post Office performance would be to legalize competition for first class mail.

You betcha.

Huh? I've only heard about taking away Saturday delivery, which I don't even think would be a very big deal. It's Saturday. It's not a business day. It's really not all that important.

i could be wrong, but the last i heard was that Saturday was NOT an option to be taken away. That more likely it would be Tuesday or Wednesday now. But perhaps i should go back and figure out where i heard that from. I think the idea behind that was to ensure that there wouldn't be 2 consecutive days with no mail delivery.

i could be wrong, but the last i heard was that Saturday was NOT an option to be taken away. That more likely it would be Tuesday or Wednesday now. But perhaps i should go back and figure out where i heard that from. I think the idea behind that was to ensure that there wouldn't be 2 consecutive days with no mail delivery.

*shrug* I'm only going by what I vaguely remember in a couple stories about the USPS from several months ago. I can see the whole "two consecutive days" argument, but I can also see the weekend argument. I don't particularly care either way; honestly, it's freaking mail, it's not exactly a source of urgent communication at this point.

I think there are two things happening here. The Post Office is a pretty efficient group. They collect, gather, sort, and distribute mail well. However, they are a dinosaur. Most of us don't write letters anymore, certainly not for casual correspondance. We pay our bills online, and except for BIG events like weddings even our invitations go online. Therefore, you have this efficient organization that is designed for the wrong era. In other words, no matter how efficient the buggy whip maker is if everyone is driving a car he's going to lose money. It's technology that's doing them in and they will need to change to accomodate a system that by and large doesn't use them... at least certainly not to the degree they used to.

But they do what they are designed to do... and they do well. You can trust them to deliver that parcel or letter in a timely manner and in good condition at a very high rate.

I think there are two things happening here. The Post Office is a pretty efficient group. They collect, gather, sort, and distribute mail well. However, they are a dinosaur. Most of us don't write letters anymore, certainly not for casual correspondance. We pay our bills online, and except for BIG events like weddings even our invitations go online. Therefore, you have this efficient organization that is designed for the wrong era. In other words, no matter how efficient the buggy whip maker is if everyone is driving a car he's going to lose money. It's technology that's doing them in and they will need to change to accomodate a system that by and large doesn't use them... at least certainly not to the degree they used to.

But they do what they are designed to do... and they do well. You can trust them to deliver that parcel or letter in a timely manner and in good condition at a very high rate.

Burg, How would you feel about legalizing first class mail competition?

Actually, at this point I think it's a good idea. In fact, privatizing the whole shebang might be smart as long as you can secure privacy rights. The free market actually has more or less proven that they can ship with a high degree of efficiency and care. They certainly are much more expensive, but that's the free market.

If mail is going to be a luxury, specialty service (we're not there, but it's heading that way) there's no need for the gov't to run it esp. not as a giganto monopoly.

Actually, at this point I think it's a good idea. In fact, privatizing the whole shebang might be smart as long as you can secure privacy rights. The free market actually has more or less proven that they can ship with a high degree of efficiency and care. They certainly are much more expensive, but that's the free market.

If mail is going to be a luxury, specialty service (we're not there, but it's heading that way) there's no need for the gov't to run it esp. not as a giganto monopoly.

Good stuff!

:)

Every year the USPS delivers less mail for higher prices and claims they are going bankrupt. Reminds me of our local Metro.

Yeah, but Metro lies. Okay, I don't know that they do for sure, but it sure seems that way. When gas was at 4.00 a gallon, Metro ridership was at its all time high. People were taking metro by the trainload... however, even though they were using the same number of cars and the same personell, but had double the ammount of customers or more... somehow they claimed they were losing more money than ever.

Metro uses some shady accounting.

Yeah, but Metro lies. Okay, I don't know that they do for sure, but it sure seems that way. When gas was at 4.00 a gallon, Metro ridership was at its all time high. People were taking metro by the trainload... however, even though they were using the same number of cars and the same personell, but had double the ammount of customers or more... somehow they claimed they were losing more money than ever.

Metro uses some shady accounting.

Dont people always take the metro by the trainload? :D

The USPS will always exist for the sole reason that nobody can reasonably step in and do what they do in moving bulk/junk mail. With that said, they are poised, rightfully so, for a major downsizing. And yes, they are cash positive in the same way that Amtrak is cash positive.

Archived