Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does anyone have an idea of Spurrier's Pass to Run ratio?

michael_33

I asked this because of a few reasons...

1)I got to see about 1/2 the games last year and probably figured with the talent on offense last year(or lack there-of),that he probably didn't use as many plays as he would have, had he had the right personel...Obviously,we know he has plenty of draw plays,but what is his pass to run ratio?60% pass and 40%run or what?higher?

2)Another reason why I ask this is to get an idea of what to expect from madden 2004...(6 weeks baby)...

Now that EA sports has got the official NFL liscense football film playbooks for each individual team this year,I was wondering what his playbook might consists of...

...Obviously they can't be 100% accurate,bacause all the Nfl coaches would bring in Madden 2004 in the locker room and do their scouting report from there...

Can anyone define the fun-n-gun offense or even break it down for me other than saying "it's a lot of passing"

Is there a lot of block and release plays?Do we run alot of slants across the middle to shed man to man defenses?Nothing but Bombs?Help me out here...To be honest,I know very little about spurriers coaching style even though he's been here a year...

...And i hardly ever watch College football so I wouldn't know from his Florida days either...

And why is it called the Fun-n-gun?I didn't have much fun watching my team go 7-9 last year...Will I have more fun this year?I realize Fun-n-gun is a nickname for a team that has fun throwing the ball all over a defense an racking up 60 points.

So his ratio might just be 99% pass and 1%run...(hahahaha)

Wish I could help you but I get most Skins game on a little computer screen which leaves me wondering. I'm sure there is a data base here at extreme that would show the skins runs and passes from last year so it would be pretty easy to figure out the ratio. In fact, maybe I will click on a second extreme and surf their data bases.

According to what I've heard, last year when he ran most of the time we won while when we were pass heavy, we usually lost. Out of 1001 plays, about 56% were passing plays while just over 44% were running plays.

From my research, the run-pass breakdown for Mr Spurrier, when his offense is clicking, tends towards the run (probably because he has a good lead and doesn't really need to pass except when he has the opportunity for a very big play). In his best year, he ran about 55% of the time. I think the main thing he does is try to punish you for cheating one way or the other. He does tend to get pass-happy at times, especially when he's frustrated.

I don't think you can define it in terms of the systems you may be familiar with. I think we're talking mostly 10-25 yard passes designed to either break the receiver for big YAC (slants, quick fades?) with longer passes mixed in when the db's start trying to press. The offense is based on Mr. Spurrier's 'feel' along with what the opposing defense is giving him. He does like to open with a big play and the one tendency that really got me last year, was that he really likes to go for the big play on 2-short when he's between the fourties.

The view I had last year was that Spurrier was feeling his way through games and I really think it paid off. Considering he was new to the NFL, he wanted to judge the speed of the game, the tendancies of the opposing coaches and just how far his players could go. He would second guess himself, when he may have felt he wasn't pleasing the crowd. This tells me he's a crowd pleaser when pass is the key.

His ratio evened out only when he ran too much or passed too much. From his acquisitions this year, it will definitely be balanced in all phases, but unlike the 10-25 OPM mentioned, he's going for the 6! He won't care about slowing it down, because he won't forget the drubbing he got when teams got the chance.

If I could gage a tendancy this year it will be 65-35 ratio in favor of the pass, gadgets.

I have to think that an offensive line that will allow us time to pass and won't get Ramsey blindsided into fumbles has to help. It's hard to get that ratio even when you're 20 points down at the end of the first half.

I think ( I hope) the truer measure of this offense is the final 4 games of last season. We played OUTSTANDING offensively. Killed by turnovers and penalties,, turnovers and penalties,,, hallmarks of a young team.

~Bang

I think this year he will run 54% pass 46% (That's cause we will be up in the 4th, running down the clock) Yes i can't wait for Madden 2004 either, And when i play i am just Like Spurrier I pass all the damn time. Execpt when i play on hard, Ramesy goes 10-24 270 3 td's. I can only compelte long passes. So Far Skins have won the SB 4 years in a row, Ramsey, Gardner,Coles,Canadite, Bailey, Arrington,Smoot, Bryan Johnson have all been to 4 probowls in a row. And Ramsey 3 time MVP Canadate once.. Only if the GAME could dictact real NFL.

Originally posted by Die Hard

http://www.nfl.com/teams/stats/WAS/2002/regular

RUSHING PLAYS - 442

PASSING ATTEMPTS - 559

So if that is correct, it's roughly:

Run-44%

Pass-56%

I'd say that's about right for this year, too. I mean, the Raiders passed over 60%, didn't they. Don't the Eagles pass near 60% as well? I know their passing games are far superior to ours, but 56% isn't bad. I'll bet the Lions and Texans matched that, though...:shootinth

Remember to note that he's our poor man's Tiki. His numbers won't even approach Barber's totals of almost 2000 yards combined. If Canidate gets all the snaps and doesn't get hurt (which probably won't happen), he could see 1100 yards and 400 yards recieving. Maybe 5 TDs.

glorydays,

My estimate at 10-25 yard passes only refers to the distance in the air, most (not all) of the passes and the fact we'll have few wimpy 4-6 yard passes that are long hand-offs (of course, if we're at the opponents 5 yard line, we've got no choice :)). Coles has the speed and route running ability to take it a 15-20 yard slant pattern to the house while we know Gardener is good after the catch. We've got an offensive line that should allow Ramsey to hit the guy on the dead run, at eye-level but he also has the arm to go downfield say 25 yards or more on a rope!

True, since all I really have to go on is his college experience where he never had a Ramsey and 1 year in the NFL where he was kind of 'feeling it out' and didn't have the personel, I do admit his play calling will adjust.

But this is what will happen: if we put together a good offense, look for between 45-50% runs overall (10 wins or better). Now, if you want to break it down by quaters, he'll probably throw 60% to 80% of the time in the first three and see that change around in the fourth. His passes won't be of the wimpy variety we saw a lot of the last three years, he'll be lookin to move the ball downfield (three 25 yard pass completions is a quick 75 yard TD drive). If we fail, especially if defense and/or special teams don't carry their weight, then we'll see a 65-35 breakdown in favor of pass (but that'll probably mean a mediocre record but this could also mean a lot of comeback-type wins). Again, this is mostly based on tendencies in college and given how he calls a game. The big thing is what our opponents feel they need to cheat on -- then call the opposite. If our opponents look for us to pass like you indicate, we'll run. If they cheat to stop the big play, we'll come under them. If they cheat to stop us from coming underneath, we'll look long. So, our breakdown in the coming year depends heavily on what our opponents expect and what their good at defending.

-- God it feels good to talk football again :yes:

So much of what SS does is based on creating mismatches, running plays that expose what the defense is doing. The qb is really given a lot of freedom to change plays based on what he sees and that's why it's so critical that Ramsey is brought up to speed and knows this offense in and out, backwards and forwards. So many times last year, he got up to the line, saw something he didn't like, knew what he wanted to do, but didn't know how to do it. Then, David Loverne or Wilbert Brown would false start. :doh:

For this offense to really run at full capacity, not only does Ramsey need to know it, every player needs to know it, by heart, in his sleep. if and when that happens, things should really take off simply b/c we'll be able to succesfully audible out of bad plays into ones that are better suited against whatever the defense is showing.

overall, SS passed too much last year, but with the better o-line, and wr's that can get deep down field,don't expect that to change in 2004.

OPM is right -- historically, Spurrier wins when he runs more than he passes, but that's because he has a big lead when he starts running a lot.

Last year Spurrier was throwing a lot, but that's classic Spurrier: when in doubt, throw it. Anytime the game is close, he's gonna throw.

Expect a lot of close games this year, so expect another lopsided ratio --- probably close to 55% pass/45% run again.

EM,

That's right. For games like Madden, your pass-run ratio would depend on how your game is going and what the other guy is doing (you'd probably have to be good with audibles to be realistic :) but I'm really bad at that...well, truthfully, I'm pretty bad at everything except passing and calling set-plays).

I think last years numbers were also skewed toward the run because your best offensive player was a running back. With Davis gone, Spurrier will probably pass more, and only run the ball a lot with a big lead.

I'll also go on record right now predicting that Canidate will be backing up Betts by week 4 if not sooner. Canidate is not the "game-breaker" Spurrier's looking for, and at least Betts will hang on to the ball and pick up a blitzer once in a while.

Archived