Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Youth Football Coaches- Advice needed

FloridaSkinsFan2

Thanks for looking.

To make a long story short, I have coached youth football for 5 years now, this being my 6th. I have always been the "D" coordinator. This year I was asked to becaome the head coach, which I accepted.

I have played HS and some college ball. I would like to think that I have above average knowledge of the game itself.

Having said that,

I have 4 coaches, all of them defensive coaches and no offensive coaches.

I am going to take this challege and run with it and attempt the offense.

Here are my teams details. Pop Warner- Mighty Mite Level- 7,8, and 9 year olds with weight of 45-90lbs max

We will not be the biggest team on Saturdays and we will not be able to out run other teams to the edges or down the field for that matter.

I need help from expierenced youth coaches at this level, if possible that can give some advice on what kind of offense to run that is fun, easy to coach, where the kids can learn it pretty well, but still be successful moving the ball.

I know we are going to have to use something that is versitial and has some deception to it.

The power I would be very easy to coach and teach but it is also very basic and vanilla.

I was thinking of the "wishbone" because of its versitility and deception, but with that comes language and/or motion, that I dont know if kids at this age can pick up on.

So, I am looking for advice on what you think and why. and if you have a "playbook" that I can buy to take a look at, i am willing.

Thanks very much for any insight that you can give!!

DJ

www.winningyouthfootball.com

Run the Single Wing. It's designed for -- and thus, it's popularity -- success because it's a sound fundamental system that doesn't require highly talented kids at running back or offensive line.

It's got easy blocking schemes to install... and it's got the most deception of any particular offensive system.

Dave Cisar's book is "Single Wing" for dummies. Trust me.... it's worth it. And you'll have a few other youth coaches on this forum tell you the same thing.

It's addictive. And believe it or not... the kids pick it up SO EASY... because really you only HAVE to install 6 plays -- all of them look the same -- which attack ALL parts of the field.

If you have any questions, ask.

I am coaching a 11U team here and use the Single Wing offence . Expanding it now by throwing in the spread this year . I agree with Die Hard 100% The Single Wing is easy to learn and run and is the first offense that we used 5 yrs ago on our team. You might want to consider this web site also http://www.johntreed.com/coaching.html

These books are relatively cheap and explain everything in detail.

I am coaching a 11U team here and use the Single Wing offence . Expanding it now by throwing in the spread this year . I agree with Die Hard 100% The Single Wing is easy to learn and run and is the first offense that we used 5 yrs ago on our team. You might want to consider this web site also http://www.johntreed.com/coaching.html

These books are relatively cheap and explain everything in detail.

Question Coach.

Do you ever go onto the Delphi Single Wing forum? I've been on in for 2 year now... mostly as a lurker and the occasional post (maybe 10 in 2 years) :)

I've spent a good amount of cash collecting Single Wing materials... there's only a few resources I haven't acquired yet. John T Reed's is among them.

In reading over the posts among nearly all the coaches on the Delphi forum... it seems that a good number *started* with coach Reed's book.. and subsequently moved away from it once they explored other systems.

So I'm just leery of buying it... since I can't say that I've found ANY disciples of Reed's materials. No one really bad mouths it.... it's more like people have acknowledged that there's much better materials on the Single Wing.

What do you think? What SW materials do you own?

www.winningyouthfootball.com

Run the Single Wing. It's designed for -- and thus, it's popularity -- success because it's a sound fundamental system that doesn't require highly talented kids at running back or offensive line.

It's got easy blocking schemes to install... and it's got the most deception of any particular offensive system.

Dave Cisar's book is "Single Wing" for dummies. Trust me.... it's worth it. And you'll have a few other youth coaches on this forum tell you the same thing.

It's addictive. And believe it or not... the kids pick it up SO EASY... because really you only HAVE to install 6 plays -- all of them look the same -- which attack ALL parts of the field.

If you have any questions, ask.

I agree. :point2sky Single Wing to the rescue!

Buy Dave Cisar's book. Its worth it.:)

Question Coach.

Do you ever go onto the Delphi Single Wing forum? I've been on in for 2 year now... mostly as a lurker and the occasional post (maybe 10 in 2 years) :)

I've spent a good amount of cash collecting Single Wing materials... there's only a few resources I haven't acquired yet. John T Reed's is among them.

In reading over the posts among nearly all the coaches on the Delphi forum... it seems that a good number *started* with coach Reed's book.. and subsequently moved away from it once they explored other systems.

So I'm just leery of buying it... since I can't say that I've found ANY disciples of Reed's materials. No one really bad mouths it.... it's more like people have acknowledged that there's much better materials on the Single Wing.

I've kind of been wondering about this myself DH. I don't plan on buying his books on offense.

Although I was thinking about buying Reed's book on the Gap-Air-Mirror Defense.

I've kind of been wondering about this myself DH. I don't plan on buying his books on offense.

Although I was thinking about buying Reed's book on the Gap-Air-Mirror Defense.

There's a set (3) of DVD's by Mike Rude on the Single Wing... and I inquired on the forum about it. And basically, I was told that it's good stuff.... but it's been ripped off by some of the other coaches who already offer the material.

And if you ever heard of the 5x1 Single Wing... or the site that offers/sells it... stay away. Apparently, he just takes your money and you'll never hear from him again. Way too many people have been burned by him.

What I'm thinking about installing this year... for the playoffs... is that Triple Spin series. Against youth defenses.... that would be destructive. We'll see.

I, too, have contemplated purchasing Reed's GAM defense. A lot of youth defenses run it... with success. And people HAVE said good thing about that particular book by Reed.

I'm just not a defensive guy by any means. It's hard enough mastering a single offense. And I figured it was easier becoming an offensive coach... and mastering 1 offensive system... than trying to learn defensive and trying to teach kids all the different offensive systems we're going to defend. Nothing but respect for defensive coaches. I took the easy way out, as far as I'm concerned :)

Question Coach.

I do go onto the Delphi forum , i am a registered member but rarely post ,like you I mainly lurk . I'm sure you and i have discussed this in another youth coaching thread about 2 years ago on here when a simular question was asked .

I 'm sure there is better material . John T Reeds Books are the only Books that i have purchased . I have mainly gotten what i need from his books with some relatively good success. I also have a mambership with Coach Steve Tuckers web site where i recieve downloadable content from his site which i have found very informative and helpful .

footballtutorials.com

I do go onto the Delphi forum , i am a registered member but rarely post ,like you I mainly lurk . I'm sure you and i have discussed this in another youth coaching thread about 2 years ago on here when a simular question was asked .

I 'm sure there is better material . John T Reeds Books are the only Books that i have purchased . I have mainly gotten what i need from his books with some relatively good success. I also have a mambership with Coach Steve Tuckers web site where i recieve downloadable content from his site which i have found very informative and helpful .

Never heard of Steve Tucker. Link?

There's a set (3) of DVD's by Mike Rude on the Single Wing... and I inquired on the forum about it. And basically, I was told that it's good stuff.... but it's been ripped off by some of the other coaches who already offer the material.

And if you ever heard of the 5x1 Single Wing... or the site that offers/sells it... stay away. Apparently, he just takes your money and you'll never hear from him again. Way too many people have been burned by him.

What I'm thinking about installing this year... for the playoffs... is that Triple Spin series. Against youth defenses.... that would be destructive. We'll see.

I, too, have contemplated purchasing Reed's GAM defense. A lot of youth defenses run it... with success. And people HAVE said good thing about that particular book by Reed.

I'm just not a defensive guy by any means. It's hard enough mastering a single offense. And I figured it was easier becoming an offensive coach... and mastering 1 offensive system... than trying to learn defensive and trying to teach kids all the different offensive systems we're going to defend. Nothing but respect for defensive coaches. I took the easy way out, as far as I'm concerned :)

Kind of the same situation with me. My mind just "works" on offense. But my D-Coach's kid didn't weigh enough and mine had to move up one division, so I lost my Defensive guy. :(

Kind of the same situation with me. My mind just "works" on offense. But my D-Coach's kid didn't weigh enough and mine had to move up one division, so I lost my Defensive guy. :(

If I were you -- and I think I will be ordering it, anyway -- purchase Hugh Wyatt's "Safer and Surer Tackling" tackling video ($29.95)

I've heard NOTHING but great things from very well-respected coaches commenting on that video.

Schemes are nice... but it starts with fundamentals right? :)

And that blows about losing your coordinator. I was a Head Coach for 3 years.... basically learning as I went... and having to teach my assistants along the way. After 3 years, I decided to quit and go to another park/team (1 higher division) so that I don't have all the responsibility of the head coach as well as finally LEARN from OTHER coaches who will teach me. But I didn't have the time last year.

This year, I joined the coaching staff of a head coach of a team -- back in the younger division -- who's been to the championship the last 2 years (won/lost). Phenomenal coach... with an amazing assistant coaching staff with LOTS of experience and no kids. We literally have 1 coach for every 5 kids. And I convinced him to let me be his OC -- we coached against each other for 2 years and always talked on the phone during the week, mutual respect for each other.

I wanted to be the offensive line coach... which is recommended and I believe it's necessary... but he had already hired another guy before I was brought aboard... to that position. At first he was skeptical -- since he didn't know what the hell it was we were doing in the past and figured our offense was nothing more than the wedge (which he called that "rugby" play that's easy to defend).

Then I showed him the playbook... and his jaw dropped. Then he thought it was brilliant how many blockers we had at the POA. Of course, he doesn't think the kids are capable of learning GOD blocking... which he refers to as "zone blocking". But he'll just have to witness :)

Of course, I do the homework... and prep for the offense AND his offensive line. But getting an opportunity to meet with him over some coffee to teach him drills, schemes, etc has been difficult. And frustrating.

I have phenomenal running backs... and I'm hoping it won't take long for them to catch on. That way I can spend some time with the 0-line too.

Zguy28,

The G.A.M. in my opinion is really good Defense if you have a very disaplined team . Your D-line consist of 8 players 4 down lineman (4pt stance) covering and closing the A & B gaps by bear crawling thru their gaps. 2 LB's lining up on the outside shoulder of the last lineman on their side OT or TE and are to cover the TE if they try to go out for a pass and 2 DE's lining up 2 yards from the last man on the line . responsible for off tackle and sweep , nothing outside of him They MUST stay home and only trail the play if it goes away from them . 2 CB's mirror their recievers MB lines up 8-10 from the LOS and mirrors the QB , also responsible for letting nothing get behind him . It details where everyone would line up and their responsiblity for every offense you can think of . It is a shut down youth "D" your best players will have to play MB and DE they are key to the success of this defense Thats just a touch of what this D is about the book goes into more detail ,. but if you have any questions i will gladly answer them.

This is strictly a man to man defense with 10 players on the LOS CB"s play no more then 3yds off the LOS at any given time . The MB is the Lone Ranger out their and must have very good ball instincts , a ball hawk.

Then I showed him the playbook... and his jaw dropped. Then he thought it was brilliant how many blockers we had at the POA. Of course, he doesn't think the kids are capable of learning GOD blocking... which he refers to as "zone blocking". But he'll just have to witness :)

Prove him wrong. :D

Zguy28,

The G.A.M. in my opinion is really good Defense if you have a very disaplined team . Your D-line consist of 8 players 4 down lineman (4pt stance) covering and closing the A & B gaps by bear crawling thru their gaps. 2 LB's lining up on the outside shoulder of the last lineman on their side OT or TE and are to cover the TE if they try to go out for a pass and 2 DE's lining up 2 yards from the last man on the line . responsible for off tackle and sweep , nothing outside of him They MUST stay home and only trail the play if it goes away from them . 2 CB's mirror their recievers MB lines up 8-10 from the LOS and mirrors the QB , also responsible for letting nothing get behind him . It details where everyone would line up and their responsiblity for every offense you can think of . It is a shut down youth "D" your best players will have to play MB and DE they are key to the success of this defense Thats just a touch of what this D is about the book goes into more detail ,. but if you have any questions i will gladly answer them.

This is strictly a man to man defense with 10 players on the LOS CB"s play no more then 3yds off the LOS at any given time . The MB is the Lone Ranger out their and must have very good ball instincts , a ball hawk.

I might wait on that one until my son moves up to the 80lb teams. Right now he's in 70lb with 7,8, & 9 year olds. I'll stick with the Wide Tackle Six for now.

I might wait on that one until my son moves up to the 80lb teams. Right now he's in 70lb with 7,8, & 9 year olds. I'll stick with the Wide Tackle Six for now.

I had a few DC's in my 3 years.... and each ran awful defensive schemes and it wasn't a coincidence that we weren't very successful, despite having good talent.

I mean, why would ANYONE run a 4-4 defense at the youth level.... it's completely idiotic, at least at a houseleague level. You just aren't going to get 4 kids that are competent defensive linemen that can hold their ground.

So finally, in 2007, the same year that I installed the SW.... I just outright told my DC that he was going to run the Wide Tackle Six.

We were a fundamentally sound defense. Just like my offense, we did VERY well against most teams in the division.... but we lost to teams that were physically superior to us with a lot more talent. Even then, we were still respectable in those games..... and that's all I could ask for... because I would have been surprised if we beat them.

Prove him wrong. :D

I will. I have plenty of time.... I've never started installing this offense this early. Remember, in 2007 I installed it 2 weeks before our first scrimmage. This year.... I've got 5 weeks (3 practices/week) before our scrimmage and 7 weeks until our opening day.

And I'm pumped tonight.... we've had July off so I just called up all my runningbacks to meet me at the park for an impromptu practice. Going to install the offense tonight.... first time for them.

I had a few DC's in my 3 years.... and each ran awful defensive schemes and it wasn't a coincidence that we weren't very successful, despite having good talent.

I mean, why would ANYONE run a 4-4 defense at the youth level.... it's completely idiotic, at least at a houseleague level. You just aren't going to get 4 kids that are competent defensive linemen that can hold their ground.

So finally, in 2007, the same year that I installed the SW.... I just outright told my DC that he was going to run the Wide Tackle Six.

We were a fundamentally sound defense. Just like my offense, we did VERY well against most teams in the division.... but we lost to teams that were physically superior to us with a lot more talent. Even then, we were still respectable in those games..... and that's all I could ask for... because I would have been surprised if we beat them.

That's all you can ask for. Youth football isn't a "win at all costs" game.

In my old league last year they had a funky rule for the younger kids that made all of the D-Line line up head up on the O-lineman. No gaps. No attacking the A-Gaps. No blitzing. Totally ridiculous. New league this year, no special rules put in because of poor coaches whining.:D

I will. I have plenty of time.... I've never started installing this offense this early. Remember, in 2007 I installed it 2 weeks before our first scrimmage. This year.... I've got 5 weeks (3 practices/week) before our scrimmage and 7 weeks until our opening day.

And I'm pumped tonight.... we've had July off so I just called up all my runningbacks to meet me at the park for an impromptu practice. Going to install the offense tonight.... first time for them.

I'm jealous.

My kids are at a conditioning camp this week which is put on by the local HS coach and his players. I start next week with practices.

I have Never used the WT6 , Currently we are installing the 3-5-3 Defense

that is another defense i've been waiting to use for a couple years now , with our league changing over to unlimited 11U (no weigh-ins ) this will be fun. my d-line will average 150lbs each and these boys are not fat , their just big :silly:

You should still consider getting and reading this book . I started using it with 8 yr olds . The kids will learn it easily and quickly .

Good luck to all youth coaches this season

DH good luck with installing your offense with your new team

Archived