Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins vs. Cowboys: WRs

Henry

That's right. It's 4am and I'm on Extremeskins. At work no less.

So since I'm stuck here all by myself I thought I rack up a few cheap posts. :silly:

I was on the Cowboys board today (or was it yesterday) during The Dark Time and they were comparing teams by position. Oddly, the majority of our misguided nemeses had their WRs ranked considerably higher than ours. Other than Dale and perhaps one or two others I couldn't convince them otherwise. So I guess my question is ... is Antonio Bryant THAT good? Anyone?

I don't know that Bryant is 'definitely' better than Gardner. I think Gardner is damn good in his own right. He's big, he's strong, he has excellent hands, can be effective on short routes and deep.

Bryant's star may be a bit brighter in our eyes due to his season ending performance against us. Cowboys fans sue like to point it out, but few manage to put 2 and 2 together and realize that the Redskins sold out 8 to stop the run that day, and pretty much left Smoot and Champ back one on one all day long. One on one all day will lead to passes being completed.

Remember Marcus robinson toasting Champ for a few bombs in a game that was a humiliating defeat for the Bears? Does that make Marcus Robinson good? or did that mean R

Or does that mean Marcus Robinson took advantage of some favorable matchups? And believe you me, anytime it's one on one, I don't care who the corner is, it's advantage-WR. At least he knows where he's going.

Does this mean I think bryant is NOT good? No. I think he's a star in the making. I'm just saying I don't think he's head and shoulders better than Rod Gardner.

~Bang

Bryant looks like the real deal to me, but I don't think that makes Dallas' WR corp much better than ours ... if at all.

This is the kind of topic you can argue til you're blue in the face but until the season plays out nobody knows.

www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/302179

Antonio Bryant #88

Height: 6-1

Weight: 192

Born: 03/09/1981

College: Pittsburgh

NFL Experience: 2

CAREER STATS

YEAR TEAM G GS Rec Yds Avg Lg TD 40+

2002 Dallas Cowboys 16 15 44 733 16.7 78t 6 4

www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235213

Rod Gardner #87

Height: 6-2

Weight: 217

Born: 10/26/1977

College: Clemson

NFL Experience: 3

CAREER STATS

2001 Washington Redskins 16 16 46 741 16.1 85t 4 5

2002 Washington Redskins 16 15 71 1006 14.2 43t 8 2

Gardner and Bryant had comparable starts their first years. With constant double teams and matched up against number 1 cornerbacks, Gardner had superior numbers last year.

Somebody please tell me what makes Bryant so special?:rolleyes:

Originally posted by nfchamp1

www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/302179

Antonio Bryant #88

Height: 6-1

Weight: 192

Born: 03/09/1981

College: Pittsburgh

NFL Experience: 2

CAREER STATS

2002 Dallas Cowboys 16 15 44 733 16.7 78t 6 4

www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235213

Rod Gardner #87

Height: 6-2

Weight: 217

Born: 10/26/1977

College: Clemson

NFL Experience: 3

CAREER STATS

2001 Washington Redskins 16 16 46 741 16.1 85t 4 5

2002 Washington Redskins 16 15 71 1006 14.2 43t 8 2

Gardner and Bryant had comparable starts their first years. With constant double teams and matched up against number 1 cornerbacks, Gardner had superior numbers last year.

Somebody please tell me what makes Bryant so special?:rolleyes:

I'll take a shot at your question regarding Bryant. The fact that Dallas' O-line Was totally depleted last year by injury and they had a new offense installled with new blocking schemes and then the change in QBs and he still put up those kind of #'s makes Cowboys fans excited about him. His big ?'s were about his route running and about his attitude. He seems to have answered those this offseason. He did great in mini-camps

Originally posted by Cajuncowboy

I'll take a shot at your question regarding Bryant. The fact that Dallas' O-line Was totally depleted last year by injury and they had a new offense installled with new blocking schemes and then the change in QBs and he still put up those kind of #'s makes Cowboys fans excited about him. His big ?'s were about his route running and about his attitude. He seems to have answered those this offseason. He did great in mini-camps

Well, good for you. Let's not forget the Redskins new offense, the horrible middle of the Skins offensive line or that Samuels was playing hurt all year or the quarterback changes disrupting the receiver's timing.

Did Bryant's play stink? No. (He stunk like all cowpukes do but not because of his play). I'm glad you are excited for your player, but my question is what has he done to make anyone think he is as good as Gardner. He may improve like Gardner did or he may completely tank it this year. We hope.

Don't forget that Gardner is only a third year guy, playing in the same offense for the first time and has the opportunity to be even better this year than last.

Originally posted by nfchamp1

Well, good for you. Let's not forget the Redskins new offense, the horrible middle of the Skins offensive line or that Samuels was playing hurt all year or the quarterback changes disrupting the receiver's timing.

Did Bryant's play stink? No. (He stunk like all cowpukes do but not because of his play). I'm glad you are excited for your player, but my question is what has he done to make anyone think he is as good as Gardner. He may improve like Gardner did or he may completely tank it this year. We hope.

Don't forget that Gardner is only a third year guy, playing in the same offense for the first time and has the opportunity to be even better this year than last.

The fact is that he could tank this year. WR's are notorious for having poor sophmore seasons. That being said he has some skills that show he can be great. The key here is the words CAN BE. He is not there yet but he is moving in the right direction. I never said he was as good as Gardner, though I think the two could probably be interchanged within the offenses they are in and each have comparable stats.

As I said before ... I believe Bryant WILL be a fine WR. However, keep in mind one thing about his stats from last year:

He had one HUGE game against the Redskins. Take away those 170 yards and his total yards for the other 15 games is only 563, or less than an average of 38 yards per game.

This is, of course, routine for rookie WRs. Flashes amidst a lot of non-production.

I'll take a shot at your question regarding Bryant. The fact that Dallas' O-line Was totally depleted last year by injury and they had a new offense installled with new blocking schemes and then the change in QBs and he still put up those kind of #'s makes Cowboys fans excited about him.

Rod Gardner played in a one-dimensional offense with Tony Banks throwing to him during his first year, so don't tell me about obstacles to overcome.

Originally posted by MAP16

Rod Gardner played in a one-dimensional offense with Tony Banks throwing to him during his first year, so don't tell me about obstacles to overcome.

Wow, you REALLY missed my point. I didn't say that Gardner didn't have "obstacles" I just said that Bryant did. And he flourished even with them. Geez. Don't be so defensive.

Theres no doubt that Coles is a better receiver than Bryant any day. As for now Bryant may have a bit of an edge on Gardner but i think this is year will show how the two receivers really compare and how they will fare in the rest of their career. O yeah and im almost sure Jacobs is a better receiver than Glenn unless he gets injured or is a total bust, as a matter of fact i think Rusell may be even better than Glenn because of the hard conditioning he has done this off season.

(Gardner is definately better than Galloway):notworthy

Originally posted by Brave

As I said before ... I believe Bryant WILL be a fine WR. However, keep in mind one thing about his stats from last year:

He had one HUGE game against the Redskins. Take away those 170 yards and his total yards for the other 15 games is only 563, or less than an average of 38 yards per game.

This is, of course, routine for rookie WRs. Flashes amidst a lot of non-production.

So I guess we can take away Gardner's big game his rookie year too.

10/21 Carolina W 17-14 6rec 208yds 34.7avg 85lng 1 TD

I mean, since were adjusting numbers and all.

The fact is that he could tank this year. WR's are notorious for having poor sophmore seasons. That being said he has some skills that show he can be great. The key here is the words CAN BE. He is not there yet but he is moving in the right direction. I never said he was as good as Gardner, though I think the two could probably be interchanged within the offenses they are in and each have comparable stats.

That's not quite true...Sophomore years are textbook breakout years for WRs, like in Koren Robinson and Rod Gardner's cases. Mediocre rookie years, big improvement the next. Chris Chambers would have also done the same had he not been hobbling all year with various ailments.

Originally posted by Franco

Theres no doubt that Coles is a better receiver than Bryant any day. As for now Bryant may have a bit of an edge on Gardner but i think this is year will show how the two receivers really compare and how they will fare in the rest of their career. O yeah and im almost sure Jacobs is a better receiver than Glenn unless he gets injured or is a total bust, as a matter of fact i think Rusell may be even better than Glenn because of the hard conditioning he has done this off season.

(Gardner is definately better than Galloway):notworthy

What is the basis of your statement that Bryant may have a bit of an edge on Gardner? It is certainly not based on fact. The facts actually say that Gardner has a considerable edge on Bryant. See earlier postings and links.

When you consider the Skins issues at Offensive Line and Quarterback last year, Coles may not even be more effective than Gardner.

Terry Glenn caught 90 passes in 15 games in 1996, his rookie year, with Parcells as head coach and Bledsoe at QB. He caught 79 passes in 2000 as the primary WR on the Patriots. He missed most of 2001 and caught 56 passes starting 14 of 15 games last year with Green Bay.

Hard for me to admit but he aint chump change. I think he has more talent than any WR on their roster and is the only receiver their only WR that gives me any concern.

Actually, I believe that WRs usually have better 2nd seasons than rookie years. WR is one of the hardest positions for a rookie, rarely do rookie WR's excel thier 1st year. That being said, I think that Bryant will be the Cowgirls go-to guy over the two Buckeyes (Glenn & Galloway). I see probably 1000yds and 8-10 TDs

5 TDs. Bryant isn't a burner able to make long-play touchdowns, and Bill won't let a young QB with dangerous decision-making capabilities (either one, really) blow his shot at touchdowns near the red zone. They'll run inside the 20.

Archived