Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Quick Cover Letter/Resume Question

#98QBKiller

I was laid off from my job last week and I am starting to apply to new jobs. Should I mention in my cover letter that I was laid off?

There are mixed reviews when I search on it, but I graduated from college in 2006, got my first "real" job in 2007, worked there for a little over a year, got a job that paid better, then worked there for a year and got laid off.

I feel like I should mention the layoff so the employer doesn't think I'm just job-hopping.

Does anyone here work in HR or make decisions based on cover letters/resumes?

I dont know hwich is the proper method of identifying the layoff, but I would like to extend my condolences that you are going through this and my prayers for a quick find for a new job.

hang in there man!

Thanks SS, I really appreciate it man.

How could it hurt? I would think you would get a little sympathy for it.

I was kind of thinking the same thing. Not sure how it would hurt, plus like I said, I don't wan't them to think I'm just bouncing from job-to-job. But for some reason, it seems a lot of these career advice sites online frown upon it.

I think you should answer the questions that are asked. If they don't ask for a salary requirement, no need to provide one right off the bat... the same goes for references and "reason for leaving your last job".

That's just my opinion - good luck - I'm job-hunting myself :D

My 2 cents...I hire people for my own company...

I couldn't care less what's in the cover letter.

I look at the resume, see if it has the skills I need, and make an interview decision on that. If you have skills that will help a company you will get an interview. If you don't you won't.

No need to put negative info in your cover letter. Your resume should stand on its own. Thats what will get you a job.

you need not ever mention that you've been laid off within your cover letter...or for that matter, within your resume. All you are trying to do is get your phone to ring and get a face to face. You can always better explain it across a desk then over the phone.

I would concur with those who recommend not mentioning it. As a hiring manager, I just hired someone a month ago who really wow'd me with her cover letter. I wasn't really looking to hire, but her cover letter impressed me with her passion and knowledge of our industry so much that I requested an interview.

My advice is to craft a good cover letter, then an excellent resume, and wait for the in person interview before disclosing that sort of info.

I wouldn't. I've always found it's easier to get a job if people think you have a job. If you get the interview, then you should disclose, but I wouldn't put it out there on the resume/cover.

Winner.

My 2 cents...I hire people for my own company...

I couldn't care less what's in the cover letter.

No need to put negative info in your cover letter. Your resume should stand on its own. Thats what will get you a job.

I've always considered the cover letter a formality, and in fact, have gotten my last two jobs without one.

Archived