Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Interesting Find

Jimbo

I was going through some old, unmarked video tapes trying to figure out what I could throw out and I came across a pre-season game against the Steve Young-led 49ers played in London. Can anybody confirm what year this was? I'm guessing 91 or 92.

Gibbs was HC. Rypien started at QB. Monk and Clark were the WR's and Earnest Byner was the RB. I only had time to watch a few plays so I haven't seen how it ended yet.

On a funny note, I also came across an old tape with the Superman movie that I had taped in 1979 or 1980 when it was shown on ABC. The funny part was the commercials, namely Atari. They were showing video games like Breakout, Asteroids, Tempest, etc. as well as advertising their "computers". I had to fast forward through the movie just to show the commercials to my kids. What a hoot! :laugh:

Guest SkinsHokie Fan

That preseason game was the preseason after the Superbowl victory in 1991. Rypien had been holding out and that was his first game back, hence his rustiness.

I had an Atari 800 when I was a kid. Got it in 82 I think. 48K RAM and an external TAPE drive, which took about 20 minutes to load up or save a game. If I wanted to play a game, I'd stick the tape in and go out and toss the football around for a half an hour. I eventually got a 5 1/2 inch drive and a printer, which printed 35 words per second at 'near letter quality.' Man I had it made after that. :)

I was at one of those bed, bath, and kitchen stores the other day and saw a novelty game system. It was an old Atari-style joystick with 4 or 5 Atari 2600 games built into it! You plug it directly into your TV, and it had the reset, select and start buttons along the rear edge. I think it had Yar's Revenge and Adventure. I almost bought it just for those two.

I loved Pitfall. I still have about 25 games and the joysticks for the 2600 but the box doesn't work anymore. I need to see if I can find another one for my kids. After watching the commercials, they want the REAL Atari experience.

I finally got the chance to watch more of that '92 preseason game against the Niners. Rypien played the 1st quarter and handed a 5-0 lead (safety on a sack of Steve Young by Tim Johnson) over to Cary Conklin who drove the team to a Rickey Ervins TD run and 12-0 lead just before halftime. Niners got 2 2nd half TD's against backups and Skins were down 14-12 when a rookie QB from William & Mary named Chris Hakel led the Skins to a FG by Chip Lohmiller and a 15-14 lead. Unfortunately Steve Bono led the Niners back and Mike Cofer, who had missed two 40+ yard FG's earlier in the game, nailed one as time expired.

It was pretty neat to be able to watch a playoff-caliber team again. Unfortunately, that pre-season game was the beginning of the end for Joe Gibbs. He retired after that season and things haven't been the same since. I just may keep that tape to remind me how it used to be.

Archived