Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Flag football Defense question.

NoleSkin21

Ok, so my men's flag football team plays in the championship on Sunday. we are 8-2 and they are 9-1. Our only two loses are from them. They lost to a team we beat 45-12 two weeks ago in the quarterfinals. They are a option team and run it really well out of the shot gun, which we have a hard time stopping. Their passing game is average. Its 7 on 7. We run a D that looks like this. 2 DL, one LB 2 CB's and 2 safeties. Keep in mind they usually run out of a 3 OL, 2 WR, and the QB and the RB in the shotgun lined up next to each other.

I was thinking we should use one DL and 2 LB's instead of 2 DL and 1 LB. With one LB spying the QB the entire time.

Or should we pull a safety in to spy the entire time and leave the 2 DL? What do you think would work best against it? I know there are a ton of football savvy folks on ES so any advice would help, we have practice tonight and we need to work on it.

I say pull in the Safety spy if the passing game is only average. Seeing how their run game is the reason for their success I say pull a 1-3-2-1 (DL-LB-CB-S), especially if you think at least 1 CB can hold their own on the WR they're guarding without needing much safety help. The safety could play that LaRon Landry role (safety net/centerfielder type)

I would drop one of the safeties for sure. Since their passing game is only OK, then have your fast safety play deep, have one play closer to the line, basically at LB. I wouldn't play a 3 LB perse, but a S at LB so he has speed to keep up with the option.

What kind of option are they running? Outside runs?

If so, do you HAVE to have a DL at all?

I would say sit in a 4-3 defense (without the DL). 3 backers, 2 safeties, 2 corners.

Play a mix of cover 1/2/3 and mix some blitzes in with your OLBs to disrupt the option.

It's flag, so I wouldn't be too afraid of the inside run.

EDIT: If you must have a DL, drop it to one.

1 DL

3 LB

2 CB

1 S

Play Cover 1/3 and Lock schemes with the OLBs blitzing on the outside to disrupt the option from time to time.

Maybe even blitz the safety from time to time and have the extra backer rotate back to the safety spot post snap.

Utilize CB blitzes as well with the OLBs taking the corners flat responsibilities from a cover 1 type look.

I would drop one of the safeties for sure. Since their passing game is only OK, then have your fast safety play deep, have one play closer to the line, basically at LB. I wouldn't play a 3 LB perse, but a S at LB so he has speed to keep up with the option.

So, more of a 2-2-3 D? 2 DL, 2 LB and 2CB and one safety might work.

I think I'd try to take away their strength and make them beat me with their weakness.

Put two linemen at each defensive end position, try to stop their option in the backfield.

God knows how hard it is to pull flags off of somebody running downfield; stop that play in the backfield.

4 defensive ends, get your best player to play MLB/Safety hybrid, 2 corners. Tell the MLB/safety to drop back in coverage if the QB wants to pass.

Yes I think so, but man to man is easy to beat if they have time. Also, yes, we have to have one down lineman.

right, it is...but if your corners can lock down even for just 4 or 5 seconds, that gives you a lot of flexibility with your lineman / linebackers, you can get creative with your rush. and if they mainly run option, you need that.

Archived