Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Robert Royal

G-Town

well, since the Redskins didn't do anything at TE in the offseason except cut Walter Rasby, you have to figure that Cerrato and Co. anticipate SOMEONE is going to step up :)

Flemister was resigned despite a poor year in 2002. Stephens appeared to be a waiver wire quality player.

So, the floor is essentially Royal's to strut his stuff. Kevin Ware appears to have some talent as well as one of the UDFAs, so perhaps Flemister might not make the team if his attitude doesn't improve in camp.

little bonus money included in that deal, however :)

I don't know about you but Flemister looked as if he were sleepwalking through most of the games last season. Even he seemed surprised to get a new deal so quickly.

Perhaps Spurrier talked to him at the end of the year and reached an understanding. Flemister was a bright spot in camp in 2000 along with Bryan Johnson. Since then he has failed to take the next step and develop into a consistent, solid player.

In the Redskins system we don't need a star TE, merely a dependable guy that can catch the stray ball on occasion and make a play when the field is open in front of him.

All those drops last year really hurt my confidence in where his career was going.

i agree with Laurent, i liked his preseason last year, too. I thought it kind of odd when they IR'd him for what seemed like a relatively minor serious injury, if that makes sense. Maybe it was a bit of the ol' Gibbs, hiding players on IR. Maybe they felt they didn't need him last year ,but didn't want to cut him, and used the ankle as an excuse to not practice squad him.

~Bang

I agree with your assessments bulldog.

Flem is a puzzle, almost like he lost his fire to play ball, but then that would make the new contract especially puzzling. He has the talent to be like Chad Lewis, not a star or gamebreaker, but a player who contributes and can make key plays here and there.

We're easy to please at TE. All we need is a guy who can block and make around 2 catches a game, especially on second and long and third down when we need yardage and there's likely to be pressure. If we can get 32 catches for around 400 yards and a couple of TD's, we're in good shape there. Flem and Royal are capable of that if they work hard and focus.

Robert Royal should be our starting TE by years end. It sucks that he had to go on IR last year. This kid has talent, I watched him play at LSU and in his junior year he was easily the best TE in the SEC. However, in his senior year, Josh Reed was unstoppable and was mostly Davey's main target. It had a pretty big impact on Royal's contribution to the LSU offense. Had Royal had the same type of season his senior year as he had had his junior year, he could have easily been a late 1st rounder or 2nd round pick. This kid has skills and was tough to bring down in the middle of the field whenever his hands grabbed the ball. He was probably the best TE LSU had had in a while. I was thrilled when Washington picked him. Barring any injuries, this kid should easily establish himself as the starting TE on this team. It might take him a season or so, but this should be our future TE.

Originally posted by bulldog

Flemister might not make the team if his attitude doesn't improve in camp.

OR if his hands don't improve!!!:doh: the guy dropped more balls than he caught last year. and all of them hit him in the hands:?:

Most 12 year olds playing pop warner ball could have caught those balls!!!

I'm hoping that the flashes Royal showed in the preseaon last year were indications that this guy can play b/c honestly, even Flemister has to admit that he doesn't deserve a starting role after last year. The TE in the Fun-N-Gun is not going to get a lot of passes, but when he does, he's usually wide open and NEEDS to make plays. Everyone of those drops by Flem he was wide open, every one.

Royal is a great TE who was also a basketball player, ala Tony Gonzalez, he was one of the top TE in the nation his junior year but he wasn't given a very large part of the offense his senior year...this combined with an injury prevented him from being drafted in the first/second rounds

People were scared off by Royal's 4.9 time in the 40 at the combine. That is why he fell to the 5th round.

What I remember reading before last season however is coaches at LSU indicated that was the slowest time they had for him EVER and that he consistently ran a low 4.7.

With his size and reputation for having good hands, that is fast enough for him to be a target for us at TE.

The guy that plays TE for the Skins should be able to constitute at least a blip on the threat radar for the opposing team as a player capable of catching the ball in the flat or going down the middle. And any TE playing in the NFL should be able to represent that.

The TE that should start for the Redskins this year however is the one that shows he can consistently read and react to blitz packages, and then execute his assignment.

Archived