Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

And you thought your investments had tanked

China

And you thought your investments had tanked: Studies in Crap rages against The Beanie Baby Handbook

By Alan Scherstuhl in Studies in Crap

Thursday, May. 14 2009

Thursday, your Crap Archivist brings you the finest in forgotten and bewildering crap culled from area basements, thrift stores, estate sales and flea markets. I do this for one reason: Knowledge is power.

The Beanie Baby Handbook

Author: Les & Sue Fox

Publisher: Scholastic

Date: 1998

Discovered at: Maj-R Thrift, W. 47th Street

The Cover Promises: Your toys are commodities.

Representative Quotes:

"Basically, if you can afford to do this, simply putting away five or ten of each and every new Beanie Baby in super mint condition isn't a bad idea." (page 27).

"As seasoned McDonald's collectors, we had little doubt that $2 would be less than the future value of any Teenie Beanie. Unfortunately, we were only able to accumulate 500 or so Beanies during the mad rush." (page 190)

A heartless, mercenary endeavor that strips whatever innocence remains in childish hording, Les & Sue Fox's The Beanie Baby Handbook teaches kids that fun, imagination, and all of the other qualities we love in toys get in the way of profitability.

Instead, the Foxes encourage kids to become stuffed-animal speculators.

The Foxes dedicate a page of their handbook to each of the Ty Beanie Babies the children of America believed might pay for college. They chart each Beanie's cost at issue date, its worth in 1998 and then forecast how much it might be worth ten years out -- provided you don't hug or play with it, or anything stupid like that.

This typical entry also shows how Beanies get made!

beanehowbeaniesgetmaded-thumb-400x566.jpg

Stripes currently fetches $.99 on eBay -- just one one-thousandth of the Foxes' estimate.

The Foxes took all their own photos and wrote heaps of cutesy filler text.

beanienutschestd-thumb-400x666.jpg

The last line reads "NOTE: Otters can break open nuts on their chests." Remember that the next time someone asks you "What do otters have in common with sorority girls?" (Current eBay price of a mint-condition Seaweed, with tags: $.99.)

Click on the link for the full article

i remember those things...

why were they so popular again?

Who knows, why the hell did people keep pet rocks in the 80's? Actually, I want one of the children of the 80's on the board to explain themselves for that one. How did people allow "taking care of a rock" to be a fad?

Who knows, why the hell did people keep pet rocks in the 80's? Actually, I want one of the children of the 80's on the board to explain themselves for that one. How did people allow "taking care of a rock" to be a fad?

Pet rocks were a fad of the '70s, not '80s. I blame drugs. Enough mescaline and those rocks appear alive.

my sister and I collected hundred of these things.

They are still cool to have, but jesus, we could have made bank if we sold them in their prime, because we have a ton of mint condition rare or retired beanies.

my sister and I collected hundred of these things.

They are still cool to have, but jesus, we could have made bank if we sold them in their prime, because we have a ton of mint condition rare or retired beanies.

I actually had a collection myself (accrued from having a mother who enjoyed the thrill of the beanie hunt) that I was actively looking to sell right before that whole phenomenon came to an end. I wasn't able to get my parents to list them on eBay and ended up missing out on about $3500 of sheer profit at the age of 12. :mad:

Not sure what happened to the damn things.

Archived