Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did the Red Sox Provide Steroids Training?

jrockster21

Unbelievable, if true. What is it with Boston teams and cheating?

http://bases.newsvine.com/_news/2009/05/11/2803032-did-the-red-sox-provide-steroids-training

Via BostonDirtDogs.com comes former Boston infielder Lou Merloni, claiming on Saturday that the Sox were given steroids training:

"I'm in spring training, and I got an 8:30-9:00 meeting in the morning. I walk into that office, and this happened while I was with the Boston Red Sox before this last regime, I'm sitting in the meeting. There's a doctor up there and he's talking about steroids, and everyone was like 'here we go, we're gonna sit here and get the whole thing -- they're bad for you.' No. He spins it and says 'you know what, if you take steroids and sit on the couch all winter long, you can actually get stronger than someone who works out clean, if you're going to take steroids, one cycle won't hurt you, abusing steroids it will.' He sat there for one hour and told us how to properly use steroids while I'm with the Boston Red Sox, sitting there with the rest of the organization, and after this I said 'what the heck was that?' And everybody on the team was like 'what was that?' And the response we got was 'well, we know guys are taking it, so we want to make sure they're taking it the right way'... Where did that come from? That didn't come from the Players Association."

Merloni has backtracked a bit since Saturday, saying that it was couched more in terms of a warning than anything else, though he says the conversation still happened. Dan Duquette, however, says that's ridiculous:

"It's ridiculous. It's totally unfounded," said Duquette, who was GM from 1994-2002, covering virtually all of Merloni's tenure (1998-2003). "Who was the doctor? Tell me who the doctor is. If there was such a doctor, he wasn't in the employ of the Red Sox. We brought in doctors to educate the players on the major league drug policy at the time, at the recommendation of Major League Baseball. This is so ridiculous I hate to even respond to it."

--------

click link for rest of article.

Just look at David Ortiz. Has any player dropped off as fast as he has.

Look at any player like Ortiz is, they all go through the same thing. Mo Vaugh, Cecil Feilder, Greg Vaughn, etc. They are just power hitters and thats it. Papi has no other skill set but hitting. Once his power and quickness goes, it can be ugly. The wrist injury last year I'm sure has played a big part in his decline. Has he ever taken roids? Who knows for sure. But its not like he's the first of his kind to have a sharp decline.

Look at any player like Ortiz is, they all go through the same thing. Mo Vaugh, Cecil Feilder, Greg Vaughn, etc. They are just power hitters and thats it. Papi has no other skill set but hitting. Once his power and quickness goes, it can be ugly. The wrist injury last year I'm sure has played a big part in his decline. Has he ever taken roids? Who knows for sure. But its not like he's the first of his kind to have a sharp decline.

Good point.

One question, when is anyone from the Yankees gonna be held accountable for performance enhancers? As far as I'm concerned Giambi, Pettit, and now A-Rod has all gotten a pass.

I dunno if A-Rod has gotten a pass. I think most people have forgotten about Giambi and Pettite however. But A-Rod will hear it for awhile. The real test will come when these guys get ready for the HoF. If they get voted it right away, then they will be given a pass.

I dunno if A-Rod has gotten a pass. I think most people have forgotten about Giambi and Pettite however. But A-Rod will hear it for awhile. The real test will come when these guys get ready for the HoF. If they get voted it right away, then they will be given a pass.

I don't think A-Rod will be given a pass as he hasn't been honest with his use, even after being busted.

While a meeting with a Doctor probably happened, my guess is that it was more subtle than what Merloni is saying.

Archived