Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your First or Favorite Car

Rabblerouser

This covers everything that’s had my name on the reg from 16 to the present, 42. I grew up in family owned shops, and had the luxury of being able to buy and sell cars quickly when I was younger……………….and single. :doh: Nine of the vehicles, I had for less (*) then 6 months. My dream cars are #1 Shelby AC Cobra (year or engine size doesn’t matter) #2 1972 Pantara .

62 Ford Falcon Sport………….stock *

70 Pontiac Tempest T-37………….stock *

69 Fiat 850 Spider………….stock

75 Plymouth Scamp…………..stock *

67 Mercury Cougar XR-7 GT……….stock (Shelby HP 289ci, FMX trans)

68 Mercury Cougar…………….stock *

73 Plymouth Duster……………stock*

74 Triumph TR-250…………stock

65 Chevy Malibu………………slightly modified 283ci

67 Pontiac GTO………. modified 389 Tri Power *

70 Fiat 850 Spider………..highly modified 850cc and final drive

65 MG Midget………stock *

70 Jeep CJ…………………modified 250ci inline 6

75 Olds Omega hatch back………stock *

64 Rambler American………….highly modified Chevy 350ci RAT

77 Lancia Scorpion…………..modified 2.0L

67 Ford Mustang……………….stock *

75 AMC Gremlin…………..stock

VW Rabbit Diesel…………stock

79 Chevy El Camino………….stock

79 Chevy Suburban …………stock

83 Ford Ranger……………..slightly modified 2.8 V6

91 Toyota Previa Mini Van……………stock…….for now

First car was a '84 Mazda pickup B1000. Sucked. No A/C (and I went to college in Florida at the time). Man that was stupid.

Favorite is probably the 94 Jeep Wrangler softtop. I was into mountain biking and off roading at the time. I wish I still had it. It was too noisy on the highway and no airbags. It really had to go.

My current 97 4Runner would probably be second. But I miss the manual trans the other two cars had. Hopefully this lasts another 5 years because nothing out there excites me and I don't want any car payments for a while.

My first ride was a '90 Pontiac Grand Prix STE. It was a fun little car that my dad hooked me up with. I liked it enough that the first car I purchased on my own was also a Grand Prix from a model year a few years later which was also good. I have recently switched my loyalty to the Nissan brand though, I am currently in a 2002 Altima SE V6 and I love it to death. If I could have any car on the road it would probably be one of the new Benz's or the Infiniti G35.

Favorite was the 65 Mustang Coupe with 289 that we restored.

Bright Red, Black guts, Automatic, Full Console, and Orginal Spinner Wheel covers. Car was a beauty. Drove it a year and then sold it and made money.

Wish I had never sold that one. Many good memories in that car.

Glad it couldn't talk.

1st car: 1979 Chev. Monza, soph. yr. in college...

I remember coming up 81, going home for the weekend, one person in the passenger seat, three in the back seat and the trunk FULL. (It's a SMALL car with a small trunk; Bruce's truck broke down as expected about an hour into the drive, so I had to load the two in the truck into the car. I remember the front end getting VERY squirrelly due to the weight in the back, looking down at the speedometer, and having it pegged way past 80. (the speedometer only went to 80.)

Favorite CAR? No contest. The 1996 Maxima I have right now. A 1990 T-bird or a 1988 Grand Am is no contest for it. The work cars I've driven (various cavaliers, ford Tempos, Chev. Malibu, are also no contest.)

Car I've driven the most? Probably an old (1959???) Ford 8in tractor, growing up. It would reach all of about 21 miles an hour thrown into high gear, full throttle. :)

Favorite vehicle owned by parents which was registered to them but for "my" use. (until someone sold it my senior year in high school, grrrr). A Suzuki 550.... that thing would've flown if it had wings.... You'ld look down and go I'm going HOW fast?" :D

My first official ride was a 1982 Camaro, silver in color with black leather interior. I immediately purchased Centerline Racing Wheels and a years supply of silicone shine for the tires.

I have to admit though, I was fortunate as a teen. My father was the GM of a used car dealership and I pretty much had my pick of whatever was on the lot on any given weekend.

I tooled around town in anything from 300ZX's to Corvette's which made for some fun weekends for a 16 year old punk.

My first ride was a 70’ Nova. It wasn’t a real SS but it had an SS hood and some SS trim pieces. Most people just assumed it was a real SS and I didn’t correct them. I had worked installing above ground swimming pools the two previous summers to afford it. I spent a lot of time and money wrenching on that car to make it faster, much to my girlfriend’s dismay. I installed headers (what a pain in the a$$), new heads, bigger cam, a new carb, steel braided hoses, ect. I took it to the local drags a few times and ran low 13’s. Not too bad for a daily driver.

I sold it after a few years to buy a motorcycle. I needed to get on two wheels :D

My first car was a 1966 Ford Galaxie 500 with a 390/V8

My Dad made me sell it 6 months later when he caught me doing 115 in the subdivision we lived in:doh:

I always wanted a '71 Monte Carlo. A dude in my school had 1 that was yellow with a black vinyl top/ black diamond tuck interior. It was sweet.

Have had a few different cars since then, am 40 now, now driving a 1995 Full Sized Bronco (OJ mobile) YES A SUV AND I LOVE IT

any of the Corvettes I have owned....although getting airborne while muscling my way well over 120 in the painted desert did give pause for reconsidering; as did spinning out on some nameless 2-lane in OK........racing Pacific Coast Highway was the cat's meow!......many moons and pre-spousal unit/children days ago...

btw....and not to pick a fight with anyone...I was considering buying into BMW recently. i know they are finely engineered autos and (like the M3) a great deal. but I always see women driving these cars (except for the high end luxury mobiles)...what's with that? souped up VW cabriolet?

least favorite car: toss up between Fiat Spider (electrical nightmare) and Nissan 300ZX (horrendous visibility).

Pete,

Man did you bring back a memory!! Early 80s and I'm screaming through the desert on my way to Vegas for some weekend fun at night in an MG - and the *amn lights go out!!! scared the bejeepers out of me. Yep...I remember the "quality" Lucas stuff well amigo......:laugh: ........:cheers:

Nightmares man, nightmares:laugh: I actually specialized in English and Italian electrical and carbiration back in the day. When I got my first Fiat 850 Spider, it never had turn sigs, horn, or parking lights when the car was dry:doh: It rained, and all was well:rolleyes: Wanna talk bad body grounds. The 850 was smaller then the 1800 & 2000 Sport Spiders. It was a rear engine with an 850 cc dog of a plant. Motor Trend once wrote that at 60 mph, the engine of the 850 was thirty feet behind the car, trying to catch up:laugh: I hit a dip in the road one night, and the entire front axle tore out sending me off the road into some poor old dudes yard. Dang near wet myself . My second 850 was perfect, and I ran 12 races with it. Here's a pic of it before I modified the snot out of it. It was less then 1200 lbs, and had 52bhp stock. Pushed 86 hp when I finished it.

pete...I recall how the Spider's windshield wipers could be made to run even with the engine off. bump the dang control handle, the system would power up and run the battery dead (if the windscreen was dry there would be no visible movement). man......I don't know how many times I jumped in that thing only to have to be confronted by a dead battery! very stupid design....

and, of course, there was always the famous MG headlight wink!

My first car was a 1966 Mustang my Dad bought from my sister and brother-in-law in 1974. I gave it back to my sister :doh: in '78 when I bought my "den of sin", a 1978 Chevy Van. Yep, I fixed it up with some paneling and a bed and took it down to Danville in '79 for Van Fest which was held on Memorial Day Weekend at the Danville Fairgrounds. Not a cop in sight the entire weekend and anything & everything went. I still have pictures of all the nekkid women to prove it. I even had one of those stickers "If the van's a-rockin, don't come a-knockin". :D

Besides my van, I had a 1986 IROC with T-tops that I absolutely loved. I had to sell it in 1988 when I got married. :cry:

Now, with four kids still at home, I drive a minivan. :rolleyes:

• 11 months later...

Hand me down Vega, It was purple and a month later I passed it on to my brother.

84 Supra

Currrent is Lincoln Navigator which I will add some monitors in the back So ND jr and company can watch shows on those drives to Kings dominion, Va Beach , NC or Miami

First. A jeep. 77 CJ5. Bought it in 87. Rag top. Holly carb and a v6. Damned thing could just eat up snow. Problem was thw gas gauge didn't work. So, if one was having a bad math day. :doh: Damn thing ended up being more trouble than it was worth in the long run though.

My First car?

f86b2afc.jpg

A 1979 10th Anniversary Edition Trans Am. Bought it in 84 with 12,000 miles on it and garage kept.

*6.6 Liter 404 V8

*Mirrored T-Tops

*Alloy Wheels

*Heavy Duty 4-Wheel Disk Brakes

*Race Suspension

*Platinum Interior

*0-60 in 5 seconds.

Certainly not a car you buy a 16 year old with a new license. It wasn't a year that I wrecked it. A year later I wrecked it again. A year later I wrecked it again.

Archived