Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Specifics: Sanchez|Campbell debate

drtdrums

Have you even watched any highlights, the guy is not a statue in the pocket he moves around, I don't know how anyone could view any footage on MS and not see that.

If he is so great why could'nt he beat out John David Booty for the job last year has a redshirt 3rd year soph?

Why did his own coach flatout say he is'nt ready and was making a mistake?

Why in the only game he got pressured this year Oregon State he looked flustered?

The point is Jason can make all the throws if he has all day to throw the ball. Sanchez had a great o-line,running game and recievers who ran free. The NFL game is way faster and he will be pressured every week just like the Oregon state game.

He may turn out great but its way to big a risk to mortage the future of this team on a 1 year wonder..

If we wanted to do that why not just go after Cassell atleast he did it in the NFL. We coulda even signed Warner for cheaper money then Sanchez will get. Why not just trade for Hasselback if they are so hellbent on a QB. I know age is a factor but damn this front office is beyond incompent.

I honestly can't believe anyone in thier right mind supports this move.

I think one of the biggest con's of Sanchez is he doesn't get rattled easy(from what i've seen). In the Rose Bowl, he was constantly blitzed but he moved well in the pocket, avoided the rush and hit the open reciever. He has great accuracy and touch and throws well on the run too. He makes his reads fast and finds the open man. Quick release with good zip. He's a playmaker that will score points for you. Very good leader, and hates losing, very competitive.

His cons are that he doesn't have elite arm strength, and that he's only played 16 games(which is a pro and a con really -- he may not have much experience but has great upside).

I think Campbell is almost an opposite of Sanchez. He has the powerful arm and good mobility (out of the pocket that is, he scrambles for 15 or 20 yards sometimes). He's a good game manager, and won't make many stupid mistakes.

Cons are that hes too conservitave, he needs to take some chances. Not terribly accurate. Won't put many points on the scoreboard (will probably throw you 1 occasionally 2 touchdowns a game). SLOW release.

Those are just my thoughts...

Mods: I understand there are an annoying amount of NT's with Campbell/Sanchez debates going on. I also understand that I'm a 'new'ish member (I've lurked for 5 years). What I haven't seen is a thread asking for specific, verifiable reasons that one quarterback is more desireable than the other. I hope I don't get NNT'd for this, but I don't intend to start NT's often anyway. I'm just hoping for some rational discourse on the physical abilities of each [enter snide remark about most ES members' ability to do so here __________].

Here's what I want from posters. Give me specifics on why you want Campbell to stay. Give me specifics on why you want Sanchez. Don't give me the, "Jason hasn't had a chance," crap. Don't tell me that Sanchez comes from a strong program with a better-than average track record of QB success in the NFL.

Instead, give me a physically verifiable reason we should keep Jason or draft Sanchez.

Sanchez:

Pros -- better than average mobility, throws exceptionally well on the run, beautiful mechanics. Has a very quick release and shows no tendency to telegraph passes. Great footwork.

Cons -- Less arm strength than Campbell (but can still throw the deep ball). I'm out of verifiable cons. The only other one I can think of is that he has little experience as a starter in college, but it is impossible to tell how much that will affect his NFL QB-hood. He's a crapshoot, but less than most QB's. And remember, Campbell is a crapshoot at this point as well.

Campbell:

Pros -- Excellent arm strength, showed an improved ability to evade tacklers last year. Decent ability to pick up necessary yards on the ground.

Cons -- not accurate on the move. Doesn't throw accurately to the right side (inexplicably...hopefully someone will have the old breakdown of his accuracy to each third of the field...couldn't find it). His long balls don't have a lot of air under them. Holds the ball longer than necessary. No signs of anticipation on routes. HIS FREAKIN' WIND-UP (it kills me. really.)

That's what I've got...to me, Sanchez seems like a clear winner in the 'verifiables' category. His throwing mechanics were enough to seal the deal for me. I hate how much it will cost us, but I'd rather play blackjack than roulette. Of course, whoever is QB next year is going to take a ton of punishment, but...

Thoughts?

Your pros are off on Mark Sanchez especially with the feet work ala NFL network Mike Mayock. Showed many games when Sanchez got the happy feet.

If he is so great why could'nt he beat out John David Booty for the job last year has a redshirt 3rd year soph?

Why did his own coach flatout say he is'nt ready and was making a mistake?

Why in the only game he got pressured this year Oregon State he looked flustered?

The point is Jason can make all the throws if he has all day to throw the ball. Sanchez had a great o-line,running game and recievers who ran free. The NFL game is way faster and he will be pressured every week just like the Oregon state game.

He may turn out great but its way to big a risk to mortage the future of this team on a 1 year wonder..

If we wanted to do that why not just go after Cassell atleast he did it in the NFL. We coulda even signed Warner for cheaper money then Sanchez will get. Why not just trade for Hasselback if they are so hellbent on a QB. I know age is a factor but damn this front office is beyond incompent.

I honestly can't believe anyone in thier right mind supports this move.

co sign

I think it's quite possible that Sanchez could learn to read an NFL defense *before* Campbell does.

You do realize the telltale sign of not being able to read defenses is a high number of interceptions, something Campbell has never been prone to.

You do realize the telltale sign of not being able to read defenses is a high number of interceptions, something Campbell has never been prone to.

That's for QBs that throw the ball while the play is still developing. You know, when NFL QB's are supposed to throw the ball. :)

If you can't read the defense and so you just stare down your primary until the play is pretty much over and the entire defensive line is now in your face, it's a little hard to throw picks isn't it?

Yeah, the reason he's climbing so fast is its a weak azz QB class!! that's why he coming out early. He knows next year he'd likely be number 4 on the best QB's list in the draft!!

How do you know USC would not contend for the National Championship. Is stock may have actually rise. Arguably after a strong junior year, he may have been even better next year.

Also, based on his draft status, coming out this year my put more money in his pocket. That to me is being shrewd. Next year is very competitive.

Lienart stayed an extra year and dropped.

If Zorn can improve Campbell's footwork as much as he did...I am pretty sure Zorn can EASILY improve Sanchez's deep ball. It is not that hard to get your shoulders stronger and Zorn can work on his deep ball accuracy.

Sanchez footwork look golden...I see him dodging Ware, Tuck, and all of those other douches.

I really hope we get this guy. He is literally nearly perfect for a WCO.

1. Sanchez

2. Brennan

3. Collins

Love it!!!

The scouting reports really don't matter, because they rarely translate to success in the NFL, which is the reason that more often than not, QB's in the first round dont' work out. If they do trade up to draft Sanchez and get rid of JC, I hope it works out. However, I think it is one of the dumbest moves they could possibly make and I have little confidence that it will work out Here's how I see it. Campbell is clearly the more impressive physical speciman. He's taller, stronger, and has a stronger arm than Sanchez. Sanchez does appear to be quicker on his feet and is very accurate, but he is certainly not a scrambler and is a pocket type of guy. Some think that Sanchez is more suited to the "west coast" scheme than JC. That remains to be seen. I was very much looking forward to seein JC's progress this year with an offseason with Zorn under his belt, but I guess that won't happen. With Sanchez, we are rolling the dice--a proposition that given the odds most likely won't work out. Now we are rebuilding, but without the typical rebuilding moves of dumping high salaries an getting rid of veterans. Clearly, the FO is showing its lack of intellgence and will set our club back 3-4 years with this move. I wish JC all the best, and actually hope he comes back to town and burns our ass (only because of Snyder).

Archived