Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Specifics: Sanchez|Campbell debate

drtdrums

Mods: I understand there are an annoying amount of NT's with Campbell/Sanchez debates going on. I also understand that I'm a 'new'ish member (I've lurked for 5 years). What I haven't seen is a thread asking for specific, verifiable reasons that one quarterback is more desireable than the other. I hope I don't get NNT'd for this, but I don't intend to start NT's often anyway. I'm just hoping for some rational discourse on the physical abilities of each [enter snide remark about most ES members' ability to do so here __________].

Here's what I want from posters. Give me specifics on why you want Campbell to stay. Give me specifics on why you want Sanchez. Don't give me the, "Jason hasn't had a chance," crap. Don't tell me that Sanchez comes from a strong program with a better-than average track record of QB success in the NFL.

Instead, give me a physically verifiable reason we should keep Jason or draft Sanchez.

Sanchez:

Pros -- better than average mobility, throws exceptionally well on the run, beautiful mechanics. Has a very quick release and shows no tendency to telegraph passes. Great footwork.

Cons -- Less arm strength than Campbell (but can still throw the deep ball). I'm out of verifiable cons. The only other one I can think of is that he has little experience as a starter in college, but it is impossible to tell how much that will affect his NFL QB-hood. He's a crapshoot, but less than most QB's. And remember, Campbell is a crapshoot at this point as well.

Campbell:

Pros -- Excellent arm strength, showed an improved ability to evade tacklers last year. Decent ability to pick up necessary yards on the ground.

Cons -- not accurate on the move. Doesn't throw accurately to the right side (inexplicably...hopefully someone will have the old breakdown of his accuracy to each third of the field...couldn't find it). His long balls don't have a lot of air under them. Holds the ball longer than necessary. No signs of anticipation on routes. HIS FREAKIN' WIND-UP (it kills me. really.)

That's what I've got...to me, Sanchez seems like a clear winner in the 'verifiables' category. His throwing mechanics were enough to seal the deal for me. I hate how much it will cost us, but I'd rather play blackjack than roulette. Of course, whoever is QB next year is going to take a ton of punishment, but...

Thoughts?

I get tired of the "Let's give Jason another year" posts. He's as good as he's going to get, IMO. There's a reason Sanchez is climbing up the draft boards so fast. He's good. That simple. What he did in a year at USC says alot of how much upside he has. I just hope we don't lose out on him like we did Cutler. He fierce desire to compete and win and his physical abilities make him a sure franchise QB.

I get tired of the "Let's give Jason another year" posts. He's as good as he's going to get, IMO. There's a reason Sanchez is climbing up the draft boards so fast. He's good. That simple. What he did in a year at USC says alot of how much upside he has. I just hope we don't lose out on him like we did Cutler. He fierce desire to compete and win and his physical abilities make him a sure franchise QB.

You forgot to sign your name Mr. Snyder.

Kidding :evilg:

From what I understand, one of the big differences is leadership. You never really see Jason get fired up and I can't remember one time when I saw him scream at one of his players because they missed a block or something. Sanchez seems to be the kind of guy who is going to be the foreman and direct his guys so they can perform and carry out their assignments more efficiently. That being said, is that quality worth moving up in the draft and setting the rest of your team back 2-3 years? Absolutely not. I'm just hoping that if this happens the FO has some sort of plan to plug the holes in the rest of the boat. The draft is all just a lot of hype and just because you don't get a name like Orakpo or Jason Smith doesn't mean that some 4th rounder isn't going to end up doing a similar or even better job. If you're going to get Sanchez then do it while acknowledging that you have other problems and do something to fix them.

Big Ben is the only underclassmen QB who's had any success in recent years

that lack of starting experience tells me Sanchez is a 2year project at the least

Not only that but has a 3rd year redshirt sophmore he could'nt beat out Booty last year.

The only game he was pressured all year was the Oregon state game and he looked rattled. That was a fast defense that night and he will face that every week.

This ownership and GM are flatout morons they are willing to take a gamble that could set this team back for years, even worse is we have serious needs.

Sanchez got to stand in the pocket and eat ham sndwiches last year before throwing the ball.

Add to that his own coach at USC was pissed he decided to come out and flatout said he is'nt ready.

Anytime JC has had time he looked good everyone was calling him a MVP canidate after 8 games last year including Jaworski. The kid has'nt even played in the same system for more then 1 year since high school. JC might never be able to consistently win games by himself but with a good supporting cast he can damn sure get the job done.

And look at the stat Billick laid out like 12 of the last 60 1st round quarterbacks have had some success, the rest busted, enough said and to much to risk.

I hate loving this team so much they rip your heart out every year we will always be a laughingstock till we get a real GM and stop lil Danny from playing fantasy football.

I honestly feel like they are basically setting up Zorn to fail so they can fire him.

Yeah I was an strong JC supporter until I watched games from both Sanchez and Campbell and examined them. I seriously do not know why we drafted Campbell from looking at his footage.

If Zorn could improve Campbell as much as he did....Sanchez can possibly be our franchise QB.

1. Sanchez

2. Brennan

3. Collins

I am just anxious about what will take place this saturday at 4 o' clock. I really hope that the Jets and/or Seahawks can get something done. We can also acquire a 3rd rd. pick from losing our 1st and I have no problem with that. There are a lot of good C, LB, and DE in the 3rd to latter rounds so I am hoping this thing works out.

Much respect to my man Campbell..I really hope he has success wherever he goes to put up with so much 2-faceness "Politics" here in Washington.

From what I understand' date=' one of the big differences is leadership. You never really see Jason get fired up and I can't remember one time when I saw him scream at one of his players because they missed a block or something. Sanchez seems to be the kind of guy who is going to be the foreman and direct his guys so they can perform and carry out their assignments more efficiently. That being said, is that quality worth moving up in the draft and setting the rest of your team back 2-3 years? Absolutely not. I'm just hoping that if this happens the FO has some sort of plan to plug the holes in the rest of the boat. The draft is all just a lot of hype and just because you don't get a name like Orakpo or Jason Smith doesn't mean that some 4th rounder isn't going to end up doing a similar or even better job. If you're going to get Sanchez then do it while acknowledging that you have other problems and do something to fix them.[/quote']

Yeah ur right about leadership. I heard Jason say one time "Don't no man want another man up in their face screaming at them, they want respect". I supported his laid back demeanor before but it is not true. You need a QB with some spunk and fire. Sanchez, Brennan, and Collins is the QB corp that I am really hoping we get next year.

even if he's as good as he'll get (which I'm not sure of, Mark Rypien's best year was his fourth year playing, his sixth in the league) the players around him may get better.

I thought that`s why we got Brennan. He is suppose to be the franchise QB right? How does Sanchez all of a sudden jump ahead of Brennan when he hasn`t even been drafted yet? Also 1 good year in college doesn`t make him a super star. What records did he break? Also USC has all the quality talent so Sanchez looked even better. Brennan broke all his records with JUCO average players...:whoknows:

Akili Smith climbed up the draft boards faster than anyone I have ever seen.

There is a reason people climb the draft boards quickly.

Climbing? I'm pretty sure he's just returning to a previous position. I swear that early in the offseason there was a question of whether the Lions would draft Stafford or him. He definately wasn't looked at as still possibly there in the teens.

KC may have been a destination before they got Cassel.

So why'd he drop?

If we draft Sanchez I'm not gonna be crying. I don't expect a lot from us next season other than having a good defense, I think Campbell has the ability to be good but we don't have the pieces to make him good. We have average WR's and an average offensive line. Those two things make our average QB look and play very average.

I would say 2 months ago that its a terrible idea, after all, why would we want to show Jason we don't have confidence in him? After the Cutler fiasco any hope of that has been shattered, may as well go for broke I suppose...who knows maybe this Sanchez kid will be a great player some day, he looks good on film but you know how that works out 9 times out of 10.

Climbing? I'm pretty sure he's just returning to a previous position. I swear that early in the offseason there was a question of whether the Lions would draft Stafford or him. He definately wasn't looked at as still possibly there in the teens.

KC may have been a destination before they got Cassel.

So why'd he drop?

OU's quarterback was the QB the was supposed to be the #1 ranked QB but he decided to stay in school.

Sanchez was never looked at has a top 10 pick. Most reports had him not being ready with limited experience his own coach flatout said he was'nt ready.

I've been a Campbell supporter all along yet I am starting to accept that Sanchez will be the play on Saturday.

Sanchez:

Pros-Comes from 4 years in a pro style offense, has the 'look' and natural leadership of a pro QB. Seems to have the excellent mechanics, accuracy, good field vision and poise to be an excellent QB. His 'floor' may be what Campbell is now, a solid but unspectacular QB that manages games but isn't going to set the world on fire. With one year of experience he seems to be at the same ability level of many 4 year starters.

Cons-Arm strength is average to slightly above average but not elite. Hasn't shown the consistent ability to take over a game. Decent foot speed and mobility, not a threat to beat you with his legs.

Campbell:

Pros-Steady, consistent, effective QB, manages the game well. Has improved each year in QB rating, accuracy, decision making, ball security. Big, strong, strong arm and makes plays with his feet when needed. Does enough to keep his team in every game, not going to make the killer mistake. Well respected by teammates, consummate professional and a hard worker. He will probably be a 10 year pro and a consistent winner with the right team.

Cons-Not spectacular or dynamic in play or demeanor. Conservative with the ball, almost to a fault. Doesn't take the necessary chances. Deep ball lacks air for receivers to run under it. Has spells of inaccuracy throwing the deep out and occasionally throws slightly behind receivers.

Archived