Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Urlacher agrees to an extension

Buddha

Keep an eye out today for the actual numbers. They may give a good indication of what Champ would be looking for. And possibly LaVar if he completely re-does his contract.

Bears | Urlacher Agrees To Long-Term Extension - from www.KFFL.com

Wed, 4 Jun 2003 05:01:14 -0700

The Chicago Tribune reports Chicago Bears LB Brian Urlacher has agreed in principle to a long-term contract extension intended to keep him in Chicago for the rest of his career, according to a team source. The deal is believed to approach the seven-year, $50 contract with a $19 million signing bonus that Baltimore Ravens LB Ray Lewis received last year. An official announcement is expected sometime Wednesday.

Much as I love LaVar, if he wanted that much I'd let him walk. He can be devastating at times, but he's not in the same category as Lewis or Urlacher, at least not yet.

Champ, well, maybe. He is probably the best cover corner in the league; I just don't know enough to guess what that's worth.

Question, if the Skins go 8-8 again, do you think Lavar and Champ will want more money to stay with a team that they could perceive as not going anywhere? You guys would know better then I would, but do you think that's possible? Realistically I mean.

Well it's not like the Bears have a ton of quality players either. Urlacher was the only one that kept that defense together last year and the year before they went 13-3 so that's not really important.

I simply want to know if you guys think Lavar and Champ might ask for more money if they don't think the team is making improvements measured by wins and losses. You don't have to get upset about it, I'm just curious.

Iggle whats your point??? Off course they will want the money and the little dan will give it to them, Maybe not both but at least one, maybe when and if it happens you can help us out with getting over it since your team continues to let there best players go. Mcnabb cant win a superbowl by himself.

Originally posted by NavyDave

If Lavar was in the same system with beef in front of him he would be on par with Urlacher.

Urlacher only had "beef" in front of him for one of his three Pro Bowl seasons--his second. He's simply outplayed Arrington since both have been in the league. As athletic as Urlacher is, Arrington is still a better athlete. Urlacher is just a better player right now. Lavar just needs to play without having excuses offered up by him or for him by others.

I agree that I'd get Bailey done first. It's cliche now, but it's not often you come across a top cornerback and the Redskins should be looking to lock him up longterm. The draft doesn't produce corners of that caliber as often as it produces athletes of Arrington's pedigree. Take a look at the class of linebackers slated to come out of college next year (looks tremendous) versus the corner class.

Having said that, the ideal situation is to keep both players. Barring an all-world season by Arrington, neither guy should approach Lewis or Urlacher level money. Neither guy has been as marketable on a national level to this point as those two players. Bailey should become the top paid player at his position. At the moment, I've no idea what that's worth. I do remember when Sehorn became the top paid corner with a signing bonus of $10 million so I'd expect Bailey, a better player and significantly younger, to get more than that. Arrington, based on his performance and production right now, I'd look to sign for something in the Keith Brooking range which I believe included a $15 million dollar signing bonus.

Well, I think both will get done. The question is.........do they want to set records for salaries or do they want to keep it high but modest so they team can afford to upgrade alittle every year?

Also, if we're done with FA's. Can we try to pack as much of these deals into the 1st few years....front load it so we can keep them for majority of these deals.

Don't forget, the cap does go up next year and the year after. You need to try to guess by how much.

Archived