Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Man bites python

@DCGoldPants

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090415/od_nm/us_python_odd

Man bites python

Wed Apr 15, 9:00 am ET

NAIROBI (Reuters) – A Kenyan man bit a python who wrapped him in its coils and hauled him up a tree in a struggle that lasted hours, local media said Wednesday.

Farm manager Ben Nyaumbe was working at the weekend when the serpent, apparently hunting for livestock, struck in the Malindi area of Kenya's Indian Ocean coast.

"I stepped on a spongy thing on the ground and suddenly my leg was entangled with the body of a huge python," he told the Daily Nation newspaper.

When the snake coiled itself round his upper body, Nyaumbe resorted to desperate measures: "I had to bite it."

The python dragged him up a tree, but when it eased its grip, Nyaumbe said he was able to take a mobile phone out of his pocket and phone for help.

When his supervisor came with a policeman, Nyaumbe smothered the snake's head with his shirt, while the rescuers tied it with a rope and pulled.

"We both came down, landing with a thud," said Nyaumbe, who survived with damaged lips and bruising.

The snake escaped from the three sacks it was bundled into.

I don't buy this story at all. Has there ever been a documented case of a python eating a person?

And any python big enough to completely wrap itself around you and then hoist you up into a tree could kill you in about 3 seconds. It would completely crush you.

By the time I got to the cell phone part- I lol'd.

after thinking about it, i find myself siding with zoony..

it would take a snake the size of the ones from anaconda to drag you up a tree and you would be dinner within seconds if you encountered a snake that big.

not to mention he whipped out his cell and make a quick call for help while being constricted....wtf?

yah but full grown humans? I thought that was just anacondas
A python could certainly attack a full grown human. In Africa and especially Southeastern Asia, pythons ranging between 20 and 30 feet can certainly be found, and there are documented and plenty of undocumented attacks on villagers and explorers by snakes of that same size. And there have always been reports of bigger snakes deeper in the jungles, which wouldn't be impossible to believe really.

Problem with eating a human for a snake is that snakes almost always eat their prey starting at the head, and humans, like most other large primates, have an odd shape with how much our shoulders stick out in our builds compared to the width of our heads and necks, so that'd be a tough swallow for a snake, unless it was REALLY large (25-30 feet or bigger).

This story is somewhat unbelievable just because it claims the snake grabbed him and pulled him into the tree. That's like Ice Cube/J.Lo Anaconda style size snake, which would be pretty wild.

One can also laugh about him dialing his cell phone, but snakes don't really crush their prey- their jaws expand so much they don't have to, they just tighten enough to suffocate whatever they're trying to eat. If he was biting the snake and causing it enough pain to relax it's grip, he could reasonably have enough air to make a brief phone call for help. Now the issue of being able to reach into his pocket, pull out his phone, and bring it up to his ear while in the grasp of a 40 foot plus movie sized snake is another story...

Archived