Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Various Sources: John Madden retires from broadcasting (M.E.T.)

return2glory

He was great. Last season when Madden took a week off to stay in the San Fran area Collinsworth filled in for him as color commentator. I suspect Collinsworth will be nominated to replace the legend.

He may have stated the obvious sometimes, and been a subject of ridicule, but damn it, he was a fixture in the industry. Farewell legend.

Well you see here folks what you have here is a guy HEH HEHHEH HEH He's tired of broadcasting so people said hey John, why don't you retire and then BOOM HEH HEY he retired, and that's what you gotta do, when you don't want to do something anymore you uhhhhhh you uhh well ya don't do it and that's what he's doing right there with the job and that's what that's all about.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/30246064/

Well ****. I never got tired of him. I really didn't. He always called the games with enthusiasm and like he was just one of the guys. I'm quite certain that if it wasn't for he and Dierdorf,(sp),linemen would have been waiting a lot longer to get the recognition that they get today. Some favorites of mine when he called some Redskins games back in Joe Gibbs 1st term as coach.

"Clark with the catch and the first down. You know John,Gary Clark would be a player to start off on the All Madden Team."

"Oh yeah Pat. That's what do. You just start off with ol' number 84 and go from there."

"Gary Clark is a lineman in a receiver's body."

"Looks like Russ Grimm is bleeding there John."

"Ya know that's the thing about Russ Grimm. He's one of those tough guys who could play anytime. The 50's,70's,60's. He gets hurt and he just rubs some dirt on it."

Thanks for the memories John. At your best,you made watching football that much more fun.

Edit: Oh. It is the offseason and considering who it is, the thread is fine where it's at.

It is AFTER this season
Oh we have one more season with him? I know he was getting old and at times he says stuff that makes no sense but his voice just booms with nothing but pure football for me. I remember when I was younger and started watching football and heard Madden and Summerall calling a game and I was just hooked.

Everytime I heard them together I would get chills and know its football season. I think its the right time for him to go though because he is losing his touch, I am going to miss his voice though. Like someone else mentioned Aikman and Buck are my favorite group out there now.

I wonder what's going to happen to the Madden EA game franchise? Will they keep making Madden games since it's developed such a reputation? In 10 years will kids be buying Madden 2020 and not know who the game is named after?

Who can answer these questions?!?!

Oh we have one more season with him? I know he was getting old and at times he says stuff that makes no sense but his voice just booms with nothing but pure football for me. I remember when I was younger and started watching football and heard Madden and Summerall calling a game and I was just hooked.

Everytime I heard them together I would get chills and know its football season. I think its the right time for him to go though because he is losing his touch, I am going to miss his voice though. Like someone else mentioned Aikman and Buck are my favorite group out there now.

Sorry I believe I read it wrong. This is from PFT.com:

NBC Sports chairman Dick Ebersol announced Thursday that living-legend NFL broadcaster John Madden is retiring. And we had it pegged earlier this year, after Matt Millen made an unscheduled appearance on the playoff edition of NBC’s pregame show, Football Night In America:

“In our estimation, John Madden will retire from broadcasting after the season, Cris Collinsworth will take Madden’s place on NBC’s Sunday Night Football, and Millen will replace Collinsworth on FNIA,” we wrote on January 3.

Archived