Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone familiar with Skype?

Slateman

So, I've been reading up on Skype and it seems like a most ideal program for someone about to deploy to Iraq/Afghanistan. Plus, I can keep in touch with my friends in Europe.

However, I do have a couple questions. Anyone here every use it? Thoughts/suggestions?

Can I use a bluetooth device with it? My computer will accept them, but with the program actually work with them? If not, is there a specific headset I have to get in order for it to work properly?

Here's the info from the Skype forum on how to use BlueTooth.

http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=10822

I downloaded Skype to hear a cellcert (live concert thru a conference call). It connected great for a few seconds then disconnected. I found out I would have to pay $.05 a minute. I decided I didn't want to hear the concert and now I can't get the program off my computer. So be sure you want it before you download the program.

Skype is perfect. I was stationed in Korea and I used that everyday to see the wife while I was away. If you plan on getting the phone service do it before you leave. I was thinking about getting the phone plan but it picked up I was in Korea and wanted to charge me extra for calling the states. I also used Vonage V-phone, not sure if they still have it but worked good until Korea blocked Vonage.

My family uses it. I have one sister in law in Seattle and another in SC. The one in SC will move back to Germany next year. We want our kids to be able to stay connected too so we bought a lap otp while my daughter was in the hospital. All in all, skype is pretty good. The quality of connection and the quality of the camera being used do make a difference, but the program itself is functional.

My girlfriend is in China on a student exchange program with her med school for the next 4 weeks.

I'm actually Skyping with her right now since it's 7pm over there in Hangzhou. The land line service is cheap also. Its 2 cents per minute which is nice because her parents probably wouldn't bother buying a mic headset and getting on the computer to basically talk on a phone. I love it. Her roaming charges are 50 cents a text or $2/minute through her cell. Skype is a crazy good solution for this.

I live and work on a boat. I use Skype all over the place, obviously you have a have a decent internet connection. But for $.02 a minute I can call the states from other countries and communicate where in the past its been a PIA> Video calls are great too for friends and family if you have a cam. I have a Nokia e71 phone that my boss has recently looked into making it a skype compatible handset... if that happens, I should be able to use skype from my cell phone when in a wifi zone... pretty cool. Never used the bluetooth, sorry but I have nothing but good experience with Skye. Oh but watch out when calling cell phones, it costs more sometimes.

Archived