Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which USC player do the redskins wanna take?

x96bryan10

Matthews- hands down can play all three and play d-end with more bulk.. over achiever, smart and of course the blood lines do not hurt

Cushing - two down linebacker and has a injury history i shudder to think if he were selected by the redskins and he and rocky had to be counted for a full 16 game season..

Cushing was the guy who played MLB some, not Matthews but Matthews is the guy that can play all three positions not him? From what I read Matthews didn't even start until his senior year.

One of the draft magazines I have calls Cushing the best pass coverage LB in the draft. And according to them he had the fastest 40 time among the USC LB's. If that's the case if there is any LB who ISN'T a two down LB it's Cushing.

As for Matthews playing with more bulk and playing DE better, It has Cushing 8 pounds heavier than him in the Sporting News Draft Guide. And Cushing played some DE in college. If you got sources that refute this, cool, but am going on what I've seen.

];6253575']I'd rather have Mauluga. Cushing is a bit more tame and controlled' date=' but Mauluga is very high energy with a ton of potential. The downside is that he'll freelance, but having a player like Mauluga on a technically sound defense suchas ours will be very rewarding.

Course, I'd much rather have Orakpo, or one of the Tackles.[/quote']

+1 ... Rey is the only USC LB'er I'd want. he has that natural god given athletic ability that cannot be coached, the mental part can be developed with practice and work.

I'd rather try and grab Stintim in the 3rd if he is still there (or Sidebury from U of R), than go Cushing in the 1st, or Mathews via trade down.

Mauluga- a true mike linebacker, better of in a 3-4 than a 4-3 but not good in coverage will get exposed by the likes of bradshaw, jones, westbrook

Seriously who can cover a healthy Westbrook? No one on our team could do better then what Rey would do. Maybe Lorenzo Alexander again :doh:

Cushing is the definition of injury prone. The dude has been hurt each of his 4 years at USC.

Matthews is a great prospect and IMO he will have a heck of a good NFL career but too much of a reach at 13

Maualuga is my pick if we take a LB at 13. You cant teach instinct and passion and he has it. The nastiness that drives him amazing. His freelancing is VASTLY overplayed. He is nowhere nearly as bad as Arrington. Wonderlic tests have absolutely no place in the draft process. I know plenty of individuals who were idiots in the classroom but excellent on a football field. Talking to them face to face and talking about assignments with them you would believe they were extremely intelligent. Personally I could care less about any prospects wonderlic test scores.

Rey has the ability to play outside. We will need a replacement for Fletcher in the next few years so until then he can play outside. His flaws can be corrected to produce in this scheme. We NEED a leader on this defense with a killer drive in him. We dont have one. Getting one IMO would make our D a lot better.

Seriously who can cover a healthy Westbrook? No one on our team could do better then what Rey would do. Maybe Lorenzo Alexander again :doh:

and what did alexander do.. get smoked and rey rey will as well.

Slow and has shown problems in coverage and again is he smart enough to make the calls and line up the defense I do not think so IMo..I rather jason Philips or Matthews than rey rey

Slow and has shown problems in coverage and again is he smart enough to make the calls and line up the defense I do not think so IMo..I rather jason Philips or Matthews than rey rey

Wow you are comparing Rey to Lorenzo as far as coverage ability :doh:

If you honestly think that Rey is as slow as Alexander then you know nothing about football.

please tell me what LB on this team right now can cover Westbrook when he is healthy.......NONE!

Cushing was the guy who played MLB some, not Matthews but Matthews is the guy that can play all three positions not him? From what I read Matthews didn't even start until his senior year.

One of the draft magazines I have calls Cushing the best pass coverage LB in the draft. And according to them he had the fastest 40 time among the USC LB's. If that's the case if there is any LB who ISN'T a two down LB it's Cushing.

As for Matthews playing with more bulk and playing DE better, It has Cushing 8 pounds heavier than him in the Sporting News Draft Guide. And Cushing played some DE in college. If you got sources that refute this, cool, but am going on what I've seen.

I prefer matthews of all the usc line backers

Cushing injury history bothers me and adding him with Rocky and his injury histroy..scare me more than drafting Oher. I will say he plays with reckless abadon which i like and will play specail teams.

With matthews I see a overacheiver (yes) plays all three positions , special teams and could play d-end with about ten pounds more.

I like him more than any of usc linebackers

Mauluga- a true mike linebacker, better of in a 3-4 than a 4-3 but not good in coverage will get exposed by the likes of bradshaw, jones, westbrook

I know there are a lot of different sources out there with differing opinions, but it seems to be a common thought that Rey is somehow slow and unable to guard TE'd or RB's in the flat?

He pulled a hammy in his 40 time, that's why he ran slower than Cushing and Mathews. The guy is an athletic freak, who just needs to work and study hard. I have no doubts he could play OLB, then move to MLB in a few years. Passing on this guy over Cushing, IMO, would be taking too much stock in the combine. Look at the tape, he is explosive and can run sideline to sideline. I find it interesting that because he played MLB at USC, that automatically excludes him from being able to play any other LB spot. It's football.

And just for poops and giggles, here is an overview and analysis on him, as well as some highlights.

NFL.com overview and analysis:

Overview

A more consistent playmaker than Keith Rivers -- selected 10th overall by the Bengals in 2008 -- Maualuga might be the most explosive hitter in the draft. Blessed with a prototypical combination of size and athleticism, Maualuga has the speed to beat the running back wide and the bulk to be a punisher on the inside. Maualuga impressed scouts with his ability to rush the passer during drills at the Senior Bowl and delivered six sacks as a junior (zero as a senior). His penchant for big plays in coverage make him one of the few inside linebackers of this class capable of playing all three downs. A three-time all-conference selection and 2009 All-American, Maualuga is a difference-maker worthy of a top-20 selection in the 2009 draft.

Analysis

Positives: Good initial quickness off the snap. ... Quickly gets to top speed, flashing rare downhill explosiveness for the position. ... Reads the action quickly. ... Willing to take on blocks and has the strength and hand technique to shed quickly. ... Good lateral quickness to evade blockers and has the speed to beat backs to the flanks. ... Gets good depth on his pass drop and is quick to close on the ball. ... Punishing hitter with four career forced fumbles. ... Productive pass rusher with the speed to close on even mobile quarterbacks. ... Can break down in space to make the secure open-field tackle.

Negatives: Has a tendency to overpursue, opening holes in the defense for quick and savvy ballcarriers to exploit. ... Too often relies on his explosive hitting to knock down ballcarriers, rather than wrapping up to make secure tackles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp1dUZUMXxc

as well as a few highlights, seems to have a nose for the ball and at the 3 minute mark you can get a sense of his instincts and athletic ability with t return INT.

I know there are a lot of different sources out there with differing opinions, but it seems to be a common thought that Rey is somehow slow and unable to guard TE'd or RB's in the flat?

He pulled a hammy in his 40 time, that's why he ran slower than Cushing and Mathews. The guy is an athletic freak, who just needs to work and study hard. I have no doubts he could play OLB, then move to MLB in a few years. Passing on this guy over Cushing, IMO, would be taking too much stock in the combine. Look at the tape, he is explosive and can run sideline to sideline. I find it interesting that because he played MLB at USC, that automatically excludes him from being able to play any other LB spot. It's football.

And just for poops and giggles, here is an overview and analysis on him, as well as some highlights.

NFL.com overview and analysis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp1dUZUMXxc

as well as a few highlights, seems to have a nose for the ball and at the 3 minute mark you can get a sense of his instincts and athletic ability with t return INT.

I see his great ablity , i see the bone jarring hits and the abilyt to cause turnovers my question with him can he make the calls can he line up the d line fletcher..that is my major question with him..And i say nope

why do you LIKEhim so much he is not that special imo

it is a difference in opinion that is all, you like him I don't ..the end

The defense has no true leader, no identity. Look at Ray Lewis and Brian Dawkins. Playing with those type of players makes everyone around them feed off of their energy. We dont have anyone like that. There are good LBs that ger drafted every year but not many that come along can bring an identity to a team that doesnt have one. He can. To me that makes him very special.

The defense has no true leader, no identity. Look at Ray Lewis and Brian Dawkins. Playing with those type of players makes everyone around them feed off of their energy. We dont have anyone like that. There are good LBs that ger drafted every year but not many that come along can bring an identity to a team that doesnt have one. He can. To me that makes him very special.

Fletch is not the leader of the d????

Now way Jose.. he is has been since he came here.. take flectcher from the redskins and we slide to middle of the pack d he is the heart and soul of the d IMO

He may not be fast, he may be undersized but he is a warrior..

I prefer matthews of all the usc line backers. Cushing injury history bothers me and adding him with Rocky and his injury histroy..scare me more than drafting Oher. I will say he plays with reckless abadon which i like and will play specail teams.

With matthews I see a overacheiver (yes) plays all three positions , special teams and could play d-end with about ten pounds more. I like him more than any of usc linebackers

That's cool. In my post I wasn't picking my favorite LB but responding directly to what was said. It was said that Matthews is the one LB of the bunch that can play all three positions, the one with the bulk to play DE, and it was said that Cushing is the limited LB who is a 2 down guy.

The sources I have has Cushing bigger and faster than Matthews and Cushing was the guy who they played up the verstaility angle since he played outside LB, MLB, and DE.

And as far as 2 downs, that usually implies that pass coverage is the weakness -- Sporting News picks pass coverage as Cushing biggest attribute and they say he's the best LB in the draft when it comes to that.

Personally, I'd love it if they traded down and drafted Matthews. 13 seems a bit high for Cushing. And as far as Maualuga -- the reports on him seem all over the place -- depending on the source he's either a beast and will be one of the top MLB's in the league or he's a talented Lavarr Arrington type who will be good but isn't cerebral or displined enough to become a great MLB. Personally i got no clue, I haven't watched him play.

But getting Matthews in the later first round in a trade and lets say picking up a third rounder in the process -- am all for that.

Like Cushing's versatility and overall skills as shown on his game tape, but not his somewhat spotty injury history and/or associated potential 'roid concerns.

Like Maluaga's Troy Polamalu-ish intensity and passion for the game at MLB where he is elite against the run, but not on the outside due to coverage liabilities and speed questions.

Matthews is a second round consideration but I won't drink the recent kool-aid in terms of him being picked any higher than that, certainly not at 13. Too much upward movement on his stock from the time his college career ended until now based on "pedigree"-hype and his workouts which is usually a red flag.

Fletch is not the leader of the d????

Now way Jose.. he is has been since he came here.. take flectcher from the redskins and we slide to middle of the pack d he is the heart and soul of the d IMO

He may not be fast, he may be undersized but he is a warrior..

Leader of the defense and defensive identity are 2 different things. Fletcher is the leader of our D now but plug in a different MLB and its still the same defense. You take Ray Lewis, Brian Dawkins, Brian Urlacher away from their teams, the defensive dynamic changes. Philly's defense will suffer this year without Dawkins. How much longer do you think Fletcher will play? Blades doesn't have his replacement locked down. Personally I think Blades is best suited for a rotational guy thats it. He isn't good in coverage. Maualuga is said to be bad in coverage as well but his analysis is all over the board. From the film (not highlight videos) that I have watched of him, his coverage is good enough for me to want.

Leader of the defense and defensive identity are 2 different things. Fletcher is the leader of our D now but plug in a different MLB and its still the same defense. You take Ray Lewis, Brian Dawkins, Brian Urlacher away from their teams, the defensive dynamic changes. Philly's defense will suffer this year without Dawkins. How much longer do you think Fletcher will play? Blades doesn't have his replacement locked down. Personally I think Blades is best suited for a rotational guy thats it. He isn't good in coverage. Maualuga is said to be bad in coverage as well but his analysis is all over the board. From the film (not highlight videos) that I have watched of him, his coverage is good enough for me to want.

I think there is merit to your view point, I actually like blades as fletchers replacement.. some of the same traits. Where we diagree at is probably the idenity part. Imo opinion I like a mike linebacker to be smart makes the calls and line up the d and if the qb audibiles he can react and get his d to be the same.

I do not see thos traits in Maualuga, i see a high energy attacking questionable instincts players and his low wonderlic as a quaterback of a d did not endear him anymore to me as well. Yes he would give the d a indenity it has lacked since 21 was taken.. but I worry will he mature to the mental apect of the game can he make the calls, can he do pre- read of the offense.. I just do not think so.

However, i do see your viewpoint of high energy infectious reckless abadon defensive player that others feed off of

tough thing here is the reports are somewhat scattered on these guys -- just watched the NFL network report on the outside LB's on their web site. They liked Cushing and Matthews, one of them questioned Cushing in pass coverage. Whereas as I said on a prior post, Sporting News lists pass coverage as Cushing's big strength.

I would definitely weigh Cushing's injury history. I recall Rocky had injury issues at the U, and it did follow him here. Ditto with Malcomb Kelly.

Archived