Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which USC player do the redskins wanna take?

x96bryan10

Cushing didn't play 3rd downs at USC, I don't see how he can be regarded as better in pass coverage. I think Cushing and Matthews are way over-valued. One year of relatively average statistics and they are projected as first rounders?! I could understand if these guys had one year of monstrous stats, or a couple years of average stats, but there is just nothing special about what they've done in college. Quite frankly in most other years those guys wouldn't get picked until the end of the 2nd round at BEST. Skip on the linebackers this year, draft one next year. Next year's class will be much better.

I wholeheartedly agree. Although if we do want a SAM linebacker, I can't see how we could find a more perfect fit than Clint Sintim. He seems like a prototype SAM and he comes with the benefit of having played LB in college that we wouldn't have with switching a DE like Larry English over to LB (In a Marcus Washington style move).

Now I admit I'd still rather take Sidbury and have him play SAM, it's only because I'm way more of a homer for Richmond than UVA. Those would be the two guys I'd want to get to play LB in this class.

Also, don't count out James Laurinaitis. He has fantastic lateral speed, an elite short cone shuttle time, and some of the best instincts in the class. I would be perfectly fine taking him later in the round.

But next year, the defensive class as a whole is going to be way better.

I agree. Cushing is a nice player, but he's a little overrated to me. Matthews has ridiculously good bloodlines and he's extremely smart.

Pedigree makes very little difference for me. So what, his father and uncle were fantastic players. That only means he's got athletic genes.

I know Mathews is a particularly smart player individually, but if we got anyone from USC, I'd rather it be that LB who brings a ton of heart and intensity. You know, that guy who looks like a LB version of Polomalu. It would not be a bad thing at all for us to draft a younger Marcus Washington.

Maualuga for me is the best football player of the three. He can be the greatest difference maker. Playing him at strongside and being along side Fletcher will reduce his weakness of not being able to call the plays. From what I've seen of him (admittedly highlights), he seems fast enough on the football field. Coverage might not be his strong suit, but that's a problem for a lot of players coming out of college.

However, as brought up in the thread, all have their own issues and questions. Maualuga would have to move outside and adjust to a more disciplined scheme. Cushing would have to stay healthy and prove he's more than just a workout warrior. Matthews has to prove he can be a consistent starter in the NFL after riding the bench until three games into his senior year (only 10 games started in college).

Clay Matthews.

I'm sticking to my guns, and believe they will trade back. Too many holes to fill with only 4 selections.

Trade back, take Clay Matthews before Bill Belicheck takes him because he seems like that type of versitle guy that he just covets.

If Belicheck would want him, then I'm on board.

Maualuga for me is the best football player of the three. He can be the greatest difference maker. Playing him at strongside and being along side Fletcher will reduce his weakness of not being able to call the plays. From what I've seen of him (admittedly highlights), he seems fast enough on the football field. Coverage might not be his strong suit, but that's a problem for a lot of players coming out of college.

Well, if he's playing SAM, he's going to have to cover TE's mostly but not a lot of slot receivers. Between the three linebacking positions, I'd say that SAM probably has the least taxing coverage responsibilities, which is why so many college defensive ends can make the transition in the pros. Some might say MIKE does, but look at a rangy MLB like Urlacher or Fletcher and you see how they excel in coverage situations and what that brings to the defense.

Your WILL is the guy who usually is gonna draw the slot receivers and runningbacks in the situations where you don't sub in a Nickleback. And they are the ones who stay on the field anyway when you do go into the two linebacker formations, and I think Rocky is a very good WILL.

I think Maualuga is definitely good enough in coverage to play SAM, and good enough in coverage to play 4-3 MIKE as well. This post season speculation where Cushing and Matthews have shot up ahead of Maualuga is a lot of crap. If you go back and watch the tape from the last two seasons, Maualuga is clearly the best USC LB on the field--even when Keith Rivers played beside him.

I would take Cushing because of his versatility and seems to have more speed. I don't trust Maualuga's attitude. He reminds me too much of Lavar's "my way or the highway" but I may very well be wrong.

Cushing isn't faster than Maualuga on the field. If you watch them play, Cushing actually looks kind of stiff. Trust what you see on TV during the game, it doesn't lie like the 40.

You probably heard the term free-lancer associated with him and drew the natural comparison to Lavar because we got burned by taking him so high. But Maualuga is the quitessential team player and leader. He doesn't have attitude problems. He is the soft-spoken guy who channels his ferociousness onto the field like Polamalu.

I still think Lavar was a good guy, but he just couldn't get it and then the injuries set in. He never really improved from where he was at in college, and Gregg Williams' system wasn't doing him any favors. For me the quintessential play that sums him up was during that first Bucs game in 2005 where Alstott got a diving touchdown from the goal-line. Lavar came sailing over the top right as Alstott jumped in a spectacular sports center/any given sunday moment--except that he glanced off of him and failed to get the stop. He was in position, if he'd simply planted himself and held his ground he would have stopped the touchdown on 4th down. Then we would have won that game and then tied for the division lead with the Giants-which we would have won because of our divisional record, and then we would have gotten a home playoff game and would not have drawn the Seahawks in the divisional round... oh well, I'm not bitter anymore.

I happen to think if we stay at 13 and we do draft a LBer there, that it will be the most athletically gifted one of the group, which likely would be Mauluga.

However, I still think if we are stuck at 13 and can't trade down we'll go with one of the OTs. That being said, I really hope we find a way to trade down.

Cushing has impressed me throughout the process. The Senior Bowl and the combine along with his solid career at SC have convinced me that he's the guy you take.

WHAT?!

He has been injured all 4 years at USC. How is that impressive??

I like Fletcher i make no Bones about , the content of the man and his characther stand out to me. homerism yes i guess But i will admit. When I think of a middle line backer I think cerbal and maualuga i think Rey Rey goes on insticnt. I will not deny he has tremendous upside but I fear another arrington.. to much free lancing and looking to make the big hit all the time

And before he blew his hammy he runs a 4.72 I am just not enamored with him as Mike but that is me Or no way as a sam.. I personaly like , Jason Phillips and Clay Matthews or 2010 brandon Spikes out of Fla

He pulled his hamstring while running his 4.7 40 and Spikes is a MLB as well.

WHAT?!

He has been injured all 4 years at USC. How is that impressive??

What's impressive is that he has experience at DL and looked the best in coverage at the senior bowl practices. Run stopper and coverage LB in one? I'd want him on my team...

What's impressive is that he has experience at DL and looked the best in coverage at the senior bowl practices. Run stopper and coverage LB in one? I'd want him on my team...

Sure to take up a roster spot and waste a first round pick on a guy who wont see the field GREAT IDEA!!!!

Archived