Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: (Andre) Smith looks to redeem his status

skinsfannyc76

Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/news/story?id=3974920

I thought it was time to move on from the JC for JC rumors (and any derivation of that crazy scenario) and focus on a more feasible one (that is, us drafting a RT with our #13 pick, which I believe, is STILL the ideal course of action).

I know Andre Smith's stock has dropped, but after I read this, it certainly made me think a little more thoughtfully about his body of work in college (while fully recognizing that he did take some significant missteps over the past month or so). Nonetheless, as much as I want Orakpo to be there at #13 (it's certainly a huge need and a more exciting pick), I know in my gut, that our OL must be upgraded in order for this team to improve dramatically from last year's 8-8 record. I know there are questions about his maturity, but in terms of ability, he's a beast, and if there's an O-Line coach to "coach him up"--it's gotta be Buges. Starting off as a RT and even having the option to potentially then move him over to LT in the future is quite a luxury in my mind that I'd love to have.

Thoughts?

I agree that if there were ever a coach to whip this kid into shape, it would be Buges. I think this kid's interviews is gonna play a HUGE role on where he gets drafted. from what has transpired, it just doesnt seem as though he has the mental toughness that is needed to play professional sports.

You can't discount Smith's college performance. But it comes down to, can you trust the guy?

He is suspended for his final college game, leaves the combine early, and has man boobs at his workout. Is this a guy you invest a multimillion dollar signing bonus into to protect your QB?

Yeah, I think you can tell he's a relatively laid-back guy in person, and perhaps that translates into some of his missteps. I have to disagree and not that I truly know anything, but it just feels like he's got enough of a mean streak and the drive to succeed on the field. In the end, I'd be more than happy if he fell to #13 and we took him.

just going by what I'm hearing from the people whose opinions I really respect, I don't think he's gonna be there at 13... combine and pro day aside, from what I hear, the guy just has too much talent to pass up that late... he falls into that area I think it's impossible for a fan to have an informed opinion on... his game tape is undeniably elite but his work ethic and attitude are working against him, and in those cases, you really need access to assistant coaches, former players, etc, to get a good idea of what type of pro he would make... <br />

<br />

It's a huge position of need for us and we have a veteran line that would be great for molding a young talent like smith, I wouldn't complain if he was still there and we picked him...

The Combine is BS, how you play the game is everything, this is who we want. It is great that he had a poor workout, because now he may actually drop to us if we are lucky. If you want judge a player on looks, call back McCune to play RT for us, I rather have some that plays well.

I have been pulling for him for a while. And way things are going now I believe he will be there at thriteen, only team that worrys me is the niners but I have heard they are growing enamored with Sanchez or Oher.

So if he is at 13 he should be the selection with all his immaturity he is exactly what this team needs at right tackle

I have been pulling for him for a while. And way things are going now I believe he will be there at thriteen, only team that worrys me is the niners but I have heard they are growing enamored with Sanchez or Oher.

So if he is at 13 he should be the selection with all his immaturity he is exactly what this team needs at right tackle

Don't forget the Bengals either. They lost Stacey Andres and Levi Jones also I believe.

I think the biggest thing we got going for us if we draft Andre is Chris Samuels.

Andre has admitted he likes Chris and has watched him a lot, if Andre has an ounce of desire to be an NFL player, he'll get up and work for Chris - and knowing Chris, he will force Andre to work hard.

I'm not sold that comparing Mike Williams and Winston Justice to Andre Smith is 100% apples to apples, but I get what you're trying to say.

But on some level, it's all risky right? Drafting the "right" player in a certain sense, is trying to manage that risk based on so many variables, that on some level, it makes almost as much sense as playing roulette. Regardless, it's a game you have to play and our holes are so glaring right now at #13, that I'm not sure we can go with a BPA methodology (not that I'm saying you're suggesting that).

Look, if all the big OTs are off the board by #13, I'm all for the best DE or even LB, and/or a trade-back scenario where we pick up maybe a 2nd or additional 3rd rounder. I guess we'll see...

A lot of people here with short memories. How much have Mike Williams or Winston Justice matured since they've been drafted?

not trying to make this thread go a different direction, but people also forget how much Sean Taylor matured as well. I'm sure there are many players who did mature properly from a seemingly disastrous beginning.

Smith has the talent to be a monster in the NFL, will the though who knows. Saban really got him going at Alabama and I think Buges can do it in DC. Plus its all a crapshoot. You try to get the best player and coach him and hope it all works out. I would not be upset if the Skins picked him at 13.

not trying to make this thread go a different direction, but people also forget how much Sean Taylor matured as well. I'm sure there are many players who did mature properly from a seemingly disastrous beginning.

I should have been more specific. With Mike Williams, Winston Justice and Andre Smith, they're all mentally soft. It's as plain as day to me by the way they talk and the way they conduct themselves. Those types of players rarely develop any toughness and heart.

With Sean Taylor, he was hardened. That guy had an attitude.

I hope we do not draft this guy. If hes got any potential in that jabba the hut type body i seriously doubt it will be brought out by this coaching staff. The guy is clearly a head case; his work ethnic has takin a nose dive since leaving the tide.

Hard to understand some of you in favor of picking him up. Some of the scouts at this pro day workout called it "the worst ever." Why waste the pick and money on this guy whos got BUST written all over em. 13 is already unlucky number...:logo:

Here's a great quote from Hugh Douglas:

"If they don't bite when they're puppies, they're not going to bite when they're grown dogs,''

Douglas, the former Eagles Pro Bowl defensive end, said over the phone last night, repeating what he has said about Justice on WIP-610 AM's Morning Show. "It just doesn't look like he has any fight in him. If you look at his demeanor, it's like he's not even a football player.''

Douglas goes on further:

"There's no doubt he can do it,'' Douglas said, when asked if he felt there was any way Justice could redeem himself. "I just don't think he has that mentality. You don't have to talk a lot out there, but you've got to play with a swagger, with a chip on your shoulder. I remember seeing that in Tra Thomas his rookie year [1998]. Shawn Andrews has that certain swagger. I don't think Winston has it.''

As a certified armchair GM, that swagger, attitude, chip-on-shoulder, fire, whatever you want to call it, is the first thing I look for in a player.

Archived