Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dan's New and Improved Plan for Short-Term Success

Oldfan

Bad timing with the thread Of.

If Snyder does the unthinkable, even for him, and brings in Me-O, good luck trying to sell the premiss that he's changed his ways to everyone.

Hail.

He has changed his methods. He hasn't changed his goal -- win now.

I doubt the TO move, but it wouldn't surprise me if Vinny traded up in the draft to get Jason Smith or Eugene Monroe installed as the OLT. Then, Samuels could be moved to the right side where he could extend his career by a year or two.

It would be a costly move with more win now potential than any he could make in the draft.

I don't necessarily always agree with you, Oldfan, but this is a great post. Something I'd been thinking of posting for quite some time.

Football is a rough game of injuries. Star players are invariably going to miss time. The best teams are the ones that are able to overcome injuries to still win games.

With regard to our team, when you tie up 70 percent of your money into 15 or so players, and allocate the other 30 percent to the other 40, you are less likely to be able to build good depth. This, I think, is what holds us back.

Oh for certain. While I think obtaining a Right Tackle is key. What about Left Tackle?

Samuels will be back at LT and will look better with Dock back. Heyer is a good back up tackle on both sides. Jansen and Fabini are both good back up RTs.

With regard to our team, when you tie up 70 percent of your money into 15 or so players, and allocate the other 30 percent to the other 40, you are less likely to be able to build good depth. This, I think, is what holds us back.

Just citing the depth problem doesn't go far enough. I consider it obvious that most of the high-quality starters in the NFL were obtained in the first four rounds of the draft. We traded away far too many 2, 3 and 4 picks and instead used free agency and trades -- thus we have too many starters who would be regarded as depth on good football teams.

I am not sure about the good season coming up but I'll leave that alone since we debated the Zorn stuff to death.

I do agree with your point about Snyder's win now mindsight. That's clear. I am not as down on him and Vinny as some others on the board, I am not in love with them either, I just think they are OK, some good moves, some bad moves -- mediocre but not bad.

Some say the Redskins have no plan. But in my opinion the plan is evident. They want to as you say win now. If there is an OBVIOUS hole on the team they fill it, rarely years in advance but when its immediately needed. And often they try to fill that gap in a spectacular fashion, which works sometimes, and other times it doesn't.

I see it sort of like maintaining your car -- the Skins don't seem to be into oil changes, tunes ups and looking ahead to avoid car damage. They wait for the individual part to break down and then they replace the part with a lot of enthusiasm and often try to find the best part on the market to take care of it.

We need Wr's no problems we will sign 2 FA's.

Those Wr's don't make the cut, no problem lets draft three pass catchers

Our DE goes down, lets get the biggest name on the market

Our pass rush is terrible -- lets get the best DT.

On and on. So yeah for me the trend with this team is they ride on their strengths, don't really build for the future, and try to deal with the breakdowns as they happen. Is there a method to that madness, yeah, to me it seems obvious. So I don't agree with the idea that they have no plan.

For the same reason I don't get the panic mode of the people on the board -- convinced that the team won't address the pass rush and the O line this season. If anything its a pattern with Vinny/Danny they recognize and have said so that things are broke in those areas -- and once they do that they pretty much never ignore addressing an IMMEDIATE need.

I see it sort of like maintaining your car -- the Skins don't seem to be into oil changes, tunes ups and looking ahead to avoid car damage. They wait for the individual part to break down and then they replace the part with a lot of enthusiasm and often try to find the best part on the market to take care of it.

They're on a treadmill. They traded away several draft picks in rounds 2,3 and 4. So, when they have to replace 35 year-old Philip Daniels, they spend another #2 and a #6. When they lost Dockery, they traded another #4 for Kendall.

If they would just play with what have, they could use those 2, 3 and 4 picks on young players with more potential to help them for several years.

i agree 100%--this strategy of addressing immediate needs only through FA will keep the redskins competative every year--better than average, but never truely great-challenging for wildcard and possibly division if the other teams fall off and we stay relatively healthy. this strategy, in theory, should keep the fans happy.

as many have noted our depth is laughable--we have several stop gaps on the line (and elsewhere-DL, LB), but no true young stars being groomed.

we can watch every year as dan/vinny attempt to catch lighting in a bottle knowing that it is our only chance for a 4th trophy

I think you are right on the money Oldfan. I think every year Snyder thinks we're almost there and can get to the superbowl by adding a few key players. I don't agree with fans that think Snyder is just signing big names to sell tickets and see his name in the papers. I think he really wants to "win now".

The only way I see this team building a dynasty as you say is to cut damn near everyone, suck for a few years, and have a few really good drafts. I don't think Snyder has the patience for that, and in his defense, I don't think many Skins fans do either. So he does what you said, make sure you have a defense that can keep you in games, and hope to get healthy on on a roll at the end of the season.

IMO this is exactly what is wrong and at the heart of the issue of Redskins team building. Synderrato will always think we are a player or two away and always mortgage the future for the now. Your second paragraph hits the nail on the head but I am afraid that will only happen with new ownership or a GM with total control.

They're on a treadmill. They traded away several draft picks in rounds 2,3 and 4. So, when they have to replace 35 year-old Philip Daniels, they spend another #2 and a #6. When they lost Dockery, they traded another #4 for Kendall.

If they would just play with what have, they could use those 2, 3 and 4 picks on young players with more potential to help them for several years.

Sure, or Portis gets hurt in pre season so they trade a 3rd and 4th for Duckett. That's definitetly short term thinking.

Agree, in terms of the critique of trading draft picks. I personally don't mind FA signings. IMO where they have been burned more is trading draft picks for veterans its a lose lose drill.

When you sign a FA that's a bust -- yeah it hurts the cap but you can still build for the future in the draft.

When you trade for a veteran that's a bust -- it hurts you in the cap AND you lose an opportunity to make up for that mistake in the draft.

That's why to me the Brandon Lloyd or Duckett trade is much worse than signing Archuleta.

IMO this is exactly what is wrong and at the heart of the issue of Redskins team building. Synderrato will always think we are a player or two away and always mortgage the future for the now. Your second paragraph hits the nail on the head but I am afraid that will only happen with new ownership or a GM with total control.

Notice how in the second paragraph he mentioned how the "FANS" would not have the patience to go through rebuilding years as well. Is this a result of Snyder's win-now philosophy over the years or otherwise?

Notice how in the second paragraph he mentioned how the "FANS" would not have the patience to go through rebuilding years as well. Is this a result of Snyder's win-now philosophy over the years or otherwise?

Well I dont think any fan wants to have any loosing seasons for any reason so I dont really think it has much to do with Snyder and his philosophy.

I would say

1. LB's

2. DE's

3. tackle

I'd agree -- and each of those positions could be made strong with the addition of one grade A standout. So, I don't think the team's problem is lack of depth overall. I think the problem is that too many of our starters have been overpaid, mediocre free agents.

Well I dont think any fan wants to have any loosing seasons for any reason so I dont really think it has much to do with Snyder and his philosophy.

No, it certainly doesn't. Most Redskin fans have applauded all of Dan and Vinny's short-term moves.

Archived