Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dan's New and Improved Plan for Short-Term Success

Oldfan

I want another dynasty. Most Redskins fans will say that, but they don't really mean it. Most loved George Allen. I couldn't wait for him to run out his string and get out of town because his 'the future is now' approach was self-serving like Marty's. It was designed to consistently beat the weak teams on the schedule and make the playoffs consistently; but it wasn't designed to compete with the elite teams for championships.

The best win-now approach does not try to build a dynamic passing game because you need excellent talent at the skill positions to make it work. Instead, since the weaker teams have offenses that will beat themselves if given half a chance, the emphasis is on a stout, aggressive defense, one that will create turnovers. The win-now approach asks the offense to play conservatively. Marty and George wanted to run the football first.

After the Skins five-win season in 2006, Joe Gibbs scuttled his modified George Allen approach to roster building which depended on free agency far more than the draft. Joe's talent evaluators weren't as adept as George in spotting veteran talent. They missed too often. The Gibbs Two win-now plan didn't win much and was destined to do worse as the veteran free agency pickups aged.

I had high hopes that Dan Snyder would see the light and put us on the dynasty building course by default, but I'm now convinced he has other plans. We are now on Dan's new and improved win-now plan.

The trade of picks for Jason Taylor, the confirmed offer of a trade of draft picks for Chad Johnson, and now the Big Deal for Big Al are not the moves you make if you are thinking long-term with the goal of building a dynasty.

Will this team win now? Yes, I think so. I think we will win 10 - 12 games this coming season because several major factors point upward.

+ Barring injury, Big Al is a major upgrade to a defense that needs to get more pressure on the QB, more sacks and more turnovers.

+ Jason Campbell will likely improve in year two in Zorn's WCO.

+ Given greater opportunity by Jim Zorn, the rookie WRs as a group are likely to contribute far more than they did last season.

+ Other 2008 rookies like Rhinehart, Horton and Moore will play better given a year's experience.

+ Jim Zorn and his staff made some rookie mistakes in 2008 that they aren't likely to repeat in the coming season.

So, yes, I think we will win now, but our roster-building plan is unlikely to ever give Zorn enough talent to build a first-rate passing game. Too many of our starters are and will continue to be mediocre pickups in free agency. An upgrade at QB would help, of course, but the basic, highly disciplined WCO philosophy, designed to be QB friendly, also limits a talented, creative QB.

At this point, I would ordinarily conclude that we have the kind of team that will most likely produce results similar to the George Allen years since we will have a conservative offense and a stout, aggressive defense to whip most of the weaker teams and split with the grade B teams on our schedule.

I would ordinarily predict that we will make the playoffs, then lose to one of the elite teams. However, this isn't the seventies. There are no elite teams. I think we are now in a group of about eight teams with grade B talent. We have several weak spots but so do the others.

I think most Redskins fans will be happy this coming season. We should have as good a chance as any team of winning a Super Bowl in 2009. As for me, since Dan Snyder doesn't share my goal, I'm now resigned to the idea that my football team is not likely to become a dynasty again in my lifetime. So, I'll have to learn to be satisfied with a better-than-average team for the next few years.

The best win-now approach does not try to build a dynamic passing game because you need excellent talent at the skill positions to make it work. Instead, since the weaker teams have offenses that will beat themselves if given half a chance, the emphasis is on a stout, aggressive defense, one that will create turnovers. The win-now approach asks the offense to play conservatively. Marty and George wanted to run the football first.

So wait, the Steelers are Win-now, not a dynasty????

Aren't the Redskins TRYING to get younger? Do you not see this?

GET SOME FACTS, THEN COME BACK AND SEE ME.

p1_calhoun_ap.jpg

Well said. I do agree that we will have a good season. And I especially agree that other teams have holes as well. The Eagles need a WR and the second just got worse with the loss of Dawkins, the Cowgirls and less threatening without T.O. and the Giants are beatable without Plax and Derrick Ward. I like the moves made thus far and I look forward to at least one more free agent pickup at OLB.

So wait, the Steelers are Win-now, not a dynasty?

The Steelers are neither. They just manage well in a small market. The Patriots dynasty is over I think (and hope). They have aged too much, especially on defense.

I still see an 8 win season out of this team...injuries happen, especially to older players, and this team is still paper-thin at most positions.

Rank the top three. What positions do you regard as the thinnest?

I think you are right on the money Oldfan. I think every year Snyder thinks we're almost there and can get to the superbowl by adding a few key players. I don't agree with fans that think Snyder is just signing big names to sell tickets and see his name in the papers. I think he really wants to "win now".

The only way I see this team building a dynasty as you say is to cut damn near everyone, suck for a few years, and have a few really good drafts. I don't think Snyder has the patience for that, and in his defense, I don't think many Skins fans do either. So he does what you said, make sure you have a defense that can keep you in games, and hope to get healthy on on a roll at the end of the season.

G-Prime, are you a contrarian to the fact of which Oldfan is speaking of?

If the oline can add a quality RT they will have a ton of proven depth in Jansen, Heyer, Fabini, ect. All of those guys are great back ups.

...I don't think Snyder has the patience for that, and in his defense, I don't think many Skins fans do either...

I think most Redskins fans appaud the short-term moves when they're made. Snyder's giving the fans what they want.

Thin (a major injury to a starter could be devastating): OL, DL, LB, CB, S

We currently don't have an O linemen that we would miss that much. You could have said that about Chris Samuels at one time, but after injuries and surgeries, you'd have to put claims for his value in the past tense.

A major injury to Haynesworth would be a big blow, but we won eight games without him last year.

Fletcher would be missed if he went down, but who else would be a huge loss?

We have as much depth at corner as we had before Hall was aquired last year. Furthermore, Hall and Rogers are less likely to go down than Springs. So, we're stronger there.

We have good depth at safety.

soooo....you're basically saying that the strategy, while you disagree with it, isn't a bad one in the short-run cuz everyone is else is mediocre?

That sums it up nicely. It's not the kind of team I would build, but at least it has a good chance of succeeding in what it is designed to do -- win now.

Archived