Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Audience Boos Dixie Chicks at ACM Awards

stratoman

And the saga continues

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030522/ap_on_en_mu/country_music_awards_12

LAS VEGAS - Many country music fans aren't ready to forgive the Dixie Chicks (news - web sites)' Natalie Maines (news) for comments critical of President Bush (news - web sites): Voters rejected the group's nominations for three Academy of Country Music Awards and the audience booed the mention of their name.

Presenter Vince Gill (news) urged the audience at Wednesday night's show to "Stop it, stop it." He added: "You know who gets blessed when you forgive — you."

Maines has been in the country music doghouse since she told a London audience on March 10, before the start of the war in Iraq (news - web sites), that "we're ashamed the president of the United States is from Texas."

The night was much better for two of the academy's most successful artists. Alan Jackson (news) won album of the year for "Drive" as well as a video honor, and Brooks & Dunn were the top vocal duo. Brooks & Dunn extended their collection of ACMs to a record 17. Jackson's tally rose to 11.

Toby Keith (news) led this year's nominations with eight and avoided a second shutout by being named entertainer of the year. By the time his name was announced, he had left the venue.

The show repeatedly saluted the armed forces. The audience erupted in cheers for three freed POWs of the Iraq war who were invited on stage — Chief Warrant Officer Ronald Young Jr., from Fort Hood, Texas; and Pvt. 1st Class Patrick Miller and Spc. Shoshana Johnson, both from Fort Bliss, Texas.

Lonestar sang a new version of "I'm Already Home" dedicated to the troops.

Kenny Chesney (news) picked up two major awards — male vocalist of the year and record of the year for "The Good Stuff," ending a six-year drought since he was named new male vocalist in 1997.

Martina McBride (news) was named female vocalist for the second straight year.

"I've spent 11 years sitting out in the audience hearing other names called. It's just an amazing feeling to have it finally be your name," she said.

Rascal Flatts won their second and third ACMs as group of the year and for the song "I'm Movin' On," written by Phillip Brian White (news) and David Vincent Williams.

Joe Nichols (news), who is touring with Jackson, won new male vocalist. New female vocalist honors in the male-dominated awards went to Kellie Coffey (news). Canada's Emerson Drive was the top new duo or group.

The Dixie Chicks were a late addition, performing by satellite from their hometown of Austin, Texas.

Maines sat silently as Emily Robison briefly introduced the song.

The boos erupted when Gill named the Dixie Chicks among nominees for entertainer of the year. Gill said afterward that the reaction was more subdued than at last month's Flameworthy Awards. "It was a pretty volatile crowd that time. This one wasn't so bad," he said.

It didn't seem that way to host Reba McEntire (news).

"It was a pretty big negative response. I don't think it's over," she said after the program.

The show, televised by CBS, was presented from Las Vegas this year for the first time in the event's 38-year history and McEntire managed to get both the Chicks and Las Vegas in her opening monologue.

"Everybody here loves to gamble," she said during an opening monologue. "They're backstage right now checking the latest odds on the Dixie Chicks playing the Bush family reunion."

___

It was exaggerated. I was watching because my wife loves country music.

One thing I noticed, they had the Chix w/Dix as the feature performer, they kept announcing that they were still to come, yet Reba kept busting on them. Kinda hypocritical, you feature them because they sell twice as many records as the next person, then you rag on them all night. If I were the Chix, I would have cancelled on them.

I took some of it as the other artists were jealous that they could be involved in a controversy and still out sell the other artists 2-1 they way they have.

Originally posted by fansince62

right code...it couldn't possibly have anything to do with the fact that many country western fans were offended by what means had to say....

or that other C&W stars have been registering their own disatisfaction with the chics.....

Sorry, I was referring to Reba's comments, not the boos.. Reba (even to my wife who is a Reba fan) seemed like she was jealous and enjoyed taking repeated shots at them, Yet the show featured them as the highlight of the nigh... go figure.

Just to add... sure they offended some fans, but it hasn't hurt their careers.. as I said before, they still sell 52% more records than their next closest rival.. imagine if Maines never made the comment.

Originally posted by riggo-toni

Stratoman - I LOVE that PIC!!!

I saw Beck and SRV on that tour. It was an incredible show. They played together on "Going Down" as an encore (no crude jokes here, please...)

:cheers:

that must have been a great show. I never had the chance to see SRV but I saw Jeff Beck twice. The first time was at the Cap Centre in 1977. Jeff Beck with Jhon Hammer(SP) opened for Jefferson Starship. The 2nd time was at Fiddler's Green in Denver back in 1995. Jeff opened up and Carlos closed the show. They did play together just before the encore. I had been to many shows at Fiddler's but I would have to say this was the best, well maybe Rush was a close second.

Still haven't figured out why the Chixs get such a bad wrap. They're embarassed Bush is from Texas? That's worse than the condemnations of the war and those who wished to pursue it the pope made?

Oh that's right, nobody wants to take shots at the pope. It's easier to bash others who might follow his lead and be against the war.

It's easier to bash on anyone who dislikes Bush. Grow up. Get over it. Get off the patriotic high horse long enough to realise not everyone agrees with us. It was a comment made months ago. What's more it's tame compared to what all of us say here on the boards.

I agree the time has come and gone. But the backlash they got was warranted and deserved. If for no other reason than they are in an industry that is fan driven, and it was the fans who were bashing them. It would have been innapropriate for Bush to respond and in fact he told Rather that he supported their right to say whatever they felt.

I watch the CMAs and I don't remember a single boo when they were announced. It's also funny that the Award show, despite the obvious unpopularity of the Dixie Chics felt the need to make it seem like after every commercial break that the Dixie Chics would be performing next.

A radio station, somewhere, I forget where, started playing Dixie Chicks music because "fans" were requesting it. He got reprimanded by Clear Channel Communications who threatened his job if he continued. So don't blame this on the fans so much, they could really give a rat arse anymore. But Clear Channel Communication obviously has some alterior motives. I would ventur a guess to being Republican owned and backed. Just a theory though.

Clear Channel also doesnt allow their DJs to play music from other bands as well. If a DJ purposefully disobeys the companies rules, he deserves whatever fpunishment they doll out.

Some of the fans care, others do not. I expect both opinions to be respected. There was a station here in Tampa that originally kept playing them but were bombarded by fans to stop. Works both ways.

The problem with this is the loudest dog barking is usually heard. Only people who might be "offended" call and threaten to not listen to the station, or put pressure on advertisers to do the same. The supporters of the Chicks won't call, nor feel the need to call and complain that they aren't playing the music. Only the whiners and wave makers make that attempt. What about the majority? which I believe in the this case would be the "I could care less one way or the other people".

I'm so tired of the squeaky wheel always getting the grease attitude of this country.

Instead of just greasing that one wheel you might want to check the other wheels while your at it.

mark, do you not see the irony in that post?

70+ percent of the country supported Bush, yet Maines was the "loudest dog" when she used her celebrity status to make a political point.

The majority doesnt agree with her.

Originally posted by MarkPSkins

I watch the CMAs and I don't remember a single boo when they were announced. It's also funny that the Award show, despite the obvious unpopularity of the Dixie Chics felt the need to make it seem like after every commercial break that the Dixie Chics would be performing next.

Those were my observations as well... :cheers:

That vast right wing conspiracy at it again huh?

Maines had every right to say what she did.

Clear Channel has every right to do what they did

Fans have every right to react how they see fit.

Only one side is trying to silence someone and it's not the right.

Kilmer, I for one have never said that they shoudn't boo if they want, I believe that it is their right to do so, and I honestly don't have a problem if they do.

My only contention is that the "Boo's" were way overblown in the article and while Reba has a right to say what ever she wants, I though it was odd to bash them while centering your show around their performance. If the academy was that upset with them, don't have them on the show.

That's all.

1) I could care less about the right or the left and even less about conspiracy paranoia from either side.

2) Yes, just as Jay Leno has the same right to make jokes every day about the President. Just as you or I have the right to voice our opionions allegedly without fear of percecution.

3) Just because Clear Channel had the right to do what they did does not make it RIGHT.

4) The fans have the right to react to whatever the media shoves into their living rooms. Without the media making this an issue the fans would have had nothing to react to.

5) I have no idea what 5 means.

Just because Clear Channel had the right to do what they did does not make it RIGHT

And that is EXACTLY what people are saying about Maines.

have no idea what 5 means

It means that the right isn't trying to keep Maines or anyone from speaking. But the left is certainly trying to keep people from criticizing THEIR statements.

Originally posted by gbear

That's worse than the condemnations of the war and those who wished to pursue it the pope made? Oh that's right, nobody wants to take shots at the pope. It's easier to bash others who might follow his lead and be against the war.

That's a silly comparison, no? The pope's not an American, and many people expect nothing more from a religious leader than a condemnation of war (I disagree with that sentiment incidentally).

In addition, the monumental stupidity inherent in that comment as to the leanings of their own audience regarding Bush and the war prevents me from having any sympathy for them.

I'm confused........the majority rules through ticket purchases and this is a good thing........the minority rules when it comes to federal judgeship nominations and, again, this is a good thing.......

and this is why no one ever takes the purveyors of outcomes seriously....they don't stand on any bedrock of principle....and they are dangerous.......

Guest Matt Kyriacou
Originally posted by codeorama

Reba kept busting on them. Kinda hypocritical, you feature them because they sell twice as many records as the next person, then you rag on them all night. If I were the Chix, I would have cancelled on them.

I took some of it as the other artists were jealous that they could be involved in a controversy and still out sell the other artists 2-1 they way they have.

It's quite obvious that you have no "real" knowledge of country music and are quite frankly speaking out of your arse.

The Dixie Chicks can only hope to have the type of career in the music business that Reba McEntire has had. While Reba has been a mainstay in country music for 20+ years, the Dixie Chicks are the new flavor of the month.

They are a flash in the pan. There have been several acts that have blazed their way into the limelight only to burn out. So what if they are CURRENTLY outselling the rest of the industry by a 2-1 margin. Many have done it previously. In 5 years Country Music will not even remember Natalie Maines' fat effing a$$.

ahhh...gbear......the Pope was staking himself to a position based on religious principle...Natalie means was bashing the President while overseas as Americans were preparing to go into combat.........don't you think there was a slight difference to the approach assumed by each person? don't you think that might explain, just a tad, the differing reactions they received?

Archived