Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

redskins have over 10.9 million in cap after cutting taylor,what to do?

chow184

based off of http://www.thewarpath.net/WarpathRedskinsCap.htm and PCinOZ's salary cap pages that indicate cutting taylor saves 8.5 million in cap(scout.com's skins forum)

so here we are with a little over 12 mil in cap room.

I want Angelo Crowell

nfl_g_crowell_275.jpg

&

Ray Willis

Willis_Ray.jpg

and I'd also like to see Demetric Evans re-signed,or philip Daniels, I'm hoping for big things from Rob Jackson in year 2.

if we only land 1 more impact FA,I hope we part ways with Jon Jansen...we have the room to take the hit right now.

UPDATE

new link

http://www.adavidmooreorgans.com/pcinoz/Salary_Cap_Position.html

I hope we spend the money getting a defensive end who can put pressure on the quarterback. Now we have AH, that doesn't mean we can go cheap and get another bum for an end. O-Lines are going to have to double AH, and that's going to open up lanes for others to get to the quarter back. Now is the perfect time for the rest of our D Line to step up and shine, force some turnovers and turn some games around for us.

You know crowell will be a steal and I hope the skins get him. But Willis is just a backup. Yes he played good enough when he started but he just reminds of Heyer. I'd like him as a backup but not the ulitmate answer at OT.

Evans is asking for too much money and I'd like to see Phillip back. I just wonder why the skins didn't throw taylor out earlier so they could have landed canty or antonio smith.

I hope we spend the money getting a defensive end who can put pressure on the quarterback. Now we have AH, that doesn't mean we can go cheap and get another bum for an end. O-Lines are going to have to double AH, and that's going to open up lanes for others to get to the quarter back. Now is the perfect time for the rest of our D Line to step up and shine, force and turnovers and turn some games around for us.

Nice sig, MustangSteve....:laugh:

Evans is asking for too much money and I'd like to see Phillip back. I just wonder why the skins didn't throw taylor out earlier so they could have landed canty or antonio smith.

Agreed, at least about Canty, I wasn't sold on Smith. It doesn't make too much sense to me. According to the OP's numbers, we had about 3.5 to 4 million in cap space before we cut Taylor. Once Canty signed, I don't see why we cut Taylor. The workout clause thing was clearly just a ploy by the FO, it's obvious now they wanted to cut him. It just doesn't make sense to me. You finally get a guy like Haynesworth that can push the pocket so the QB can't step up so Taylor and Carter can wreak havoc all day and then you make a seemingly unnecessary cut? We had enough money to sign our picks and it doesn't seem like we're going to spend much more money so why cut him now? I don't know, I just don't like it.

Taylor, even without an inside, pocket-collapsing presence, turned it on at the end of last year when he FINALLY started to get healthy for the first time all year. He had 2.5 sacks in the last three games and was arguably the MVP of the Eagles game that was won by our defense. This move just doesn't seem to make much sense to me. If I had to make a choice, I would have rather seen us cut Griffin...and earlier in the offseason. We're back down to one proven pass-rusher on our team outside of Haynesworth - and that's assuming he continues to play as motivated as Golston. Well at least maybe this means we may see some more of Rob Jackson - he seemed like a pretty good late round pick last year in the preseason with some decent potential. Hopeful he's developed and proves to be better than a typical overachieving late rounder. :logo:

You guys do know that chemistry matters a little in football, right? i don't care how proven guys were in other systems, if they don't fit our system it'll be a waste of time.

That being said the Crowell signing is intriguing because he did play under Jerry Gray in Buffalo...on the other hand he didn't play a down at all last year and is coming off of major knee surgery, doesn't sound great.

You guys do know that chemistry matters a little in football, right? i don't care how proven guys were in other systems, if they don't fit our system it'll be a waste of time.

That being said the Crowell signing is intriguing because he did play under Jerry Gray in Buffalo...on the other hand he didn't play a down at all last year and is coming off of major knee surgery, doesn't sound great.

it was minor knee surgery,and he would have been able to go mid-season. the bills wanted him to play through the injury. He objected because he didn't want to shred his knee in his contract year.the bills IR'd him when he got the surgery.

So everyone wants Snyder to do what everyone's been criticizing him for doing, eh? lol :)

These are all 2nd tier FA's, and all 28 (Crowell) or younger... No one (among reasonable posters) ever said Snyder should not sign any FA's. You add pieces, reasonalby priced pieces at this point, young pieces, and not try to hit a home run with every signing....

Could lock up Carlos Rogers for the next 4 years. Starting corners are apparently worth 50 million dollars so getting him a bunch of money up front NOW and giving him a raise this year would save a bunch later on plus keep him off the free agent market next year.

Probably much cheaper also, than franchising him next season. Lock him up NOW.

eh

he was a DT in college,granted he's slightly athletic,but he's not a 4-3 DE,he'd be a DT.

I think he could rotate at both LE and DT, depending on the down and distance situation. I would rather have him at LE on first and 10 than Taylor, Wilson, Buzbee or Jackson at this point, and on 3rd and 7 he can rotate with Griff to play with AH letting a quicker pass rushin DE come in (Wilson, Buzbee, Jackson).... Anyway just an idea. It never hurts to upgrade talent on the lines with young players.

These are all 2nd tier FA's, and all 28 (Crowell) or younger... No one (among reasonable posters) ever said Snyder should not sign any FA's. You add pieces, reasonalby priced pieces at this point, young pieces, and not try to hit a home run with every signing....

Actually, what's been said is:

"Snyder never learns"

"We need draft picks!"

"No team has ever become successful building through free agency!!"

"Snyder needs to realize you just can't go out and buy individual talent. You need to build through the draft!"

Then, when it's said we still have 12 mil under the cap:

"Let's go buy some more free agents, yeah!!" lol :)

Actually, what's been said is:

"Snyder never learns"

"We need draft picks!"

"No team has ever become successful building through free agency!!"

"Snyder needs to realize you just can't go out and buy individual talent. You need to build through the draft!"

Then, when it's said we still have 12 mil under the cap:

"Let's go buy some more free agents, yeah!!" lol :)

Again, I think the complaints (among reasonable posters) has always been about older and/or extreemly high priced FA's, not 2nd tier role player signings. You can find posters saying all kinds of things on here, but that doesnt equate to an entire consensus that everyone has to be bound to in discussions.

I would add a disclaimer that any of the 3 guys I mentioned (Olshansky, Crowell and Willis) should only be signed for a reasonable amount, and it must be noted that they are young enough to be with our team for the next 3-5 seasons and not just a quick hit fix like Jason Taylor was...

Archived