Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC:Evans a likely free agent

chow184

Makes sense to let him walk when he is 5 years younger than Taylor, outplayed him last year, and would cost half as much, at most.

Oh, and bring in Haynesworth too for $10M a year, cause were one player away.

:gus:

WHAT? Ridiculous statement. Taylor was hurt. Taylor at 38 will still be a better player than Evans. Don't be absurd just to vent.

WHAT? Ridiculous statement. Taylor was hurt. Taylor at 38 will still be a better player than Evans. Don't be absurd just to vent.

Evans had a better year than Taylor last year. Better lineman, more sacks, better against the run. Doesn't matter what the circumstances were. Taylor might be a better overall player, but at this stage in their careers, I'd MUCH rather have Evans for less than half the price of Taylor.

3 million a year is a hell of a lot cheaper then 8 million.

And the contracts of Jackson and Buzbee are cheaper combined than 3m. Hell, you probably could add in one more year of Daniels and you'd probably still come away cheaper.

Saying that he played better than a player who spent most of the year fighting injuries isn't saying much.

Did anybody listen to Vinny's press conference, after the season ended. He said that the younger guys were playing next season. Rob Jackson will have a bigger role next year. He should get every chance to play. Jackson made plays in preseason, and didn't play much in the regular season. I want to see him play. Evans is not a starter in this league. He is a nice back up and thats about it. Evans will be 30 when the season starts. No thanks.

I admit I missed that, thanks for bringing it up :applause:

Saying that he played better than a player who spent most of the year fighting injuries isn't saying much.

It isn't? Then tell me what does it say when we are willing to drop 8 million for one year from Jason Taylor who played worse then a guy we wouldn't pay 3 million for? Jason Taylors garbage now, you can't look at what he did in Miami because:

1 he was younger and his stats were already in decline when we got him

2 he was playing a different position then what we are asking of him

3 he isn't suited to play NFC East style of smash mouth football

You can point to what he did in Miami as some sort of justification for wanting to keep him here but its foolish to say that he will be able to produce like he did there. Looking at what he did here he's not worth 8 million

Not even going to take a side here because i don't really know enough about what demetric evans' talent level is, or how much JT's injury was the reason for low production; but there is something to letting someone you invested a second round draft pick in play a year while healthy...especially while you have plenty of young depth that may be as good as or eventually better than Evans.

What if JT doubles his sack total to 8 next year, would he be worth it then? I think this should be re-visited after the season, since JT wasn't healthy last season. I also think that since we did spend 2 draft picks to get JT here, that we weren't going to cut him after one season. The FO wants to get some kind of value after trading those picks away. I'm not going to say anything until I see how he plays this season fully healthy.

I'm not saying Evans will blow up on another team.

But he turns into a Pierce/Clark with another club, its on Vinny.

I know YOU aren't implying this will happen, but a large amount of people on this board thinks that every person we get rid of is one of the most important pieces on our team. I haven't seen enough of him to tell, but the fact that he is 30 yrs old and hasn't already generated a lot of pressure on the QB tells me that at most, he will be an average player for another team. Not someone I will sorely miss even if he does play well.

I always respected Evans character. Unfortunatley, I believe it's time for him and the Redskins to part ways.

We need a big youth movement in both OL and DL in the next 2 years, and he's one of the guys that I wouldn't retain. I think it's a smart move

It isn't? Then tell me what does it say when we are willing to drop 8 million for one year from Jason Taylor who played worse then a guy we wouldn't pay 3 million for? Jason Taylors garbage now, you can't look at what he did in Miami because:

1 he was younger and his stats were already in decline when we got him

2 he was playing a different position then what we are asking of him

3 he isn't suited to play NFC East style of smash mouth football

You can point to what he did in Miami as some sort of justification for wanting to keep him here but its foolish to say that he will be able to produce like he did there. Looking at what he did here he's not worth 8 million

I'll just simply point to the fact that he had a series of freak injuries last year that limited a guy who bases a lot of his game on speed and athleticism. You are right, tho, that we can't project anything based on his past, but you also can't project anything based on last year. It is likely that he won't be playing the same role he did last year and the coaches have a better idea of what he can and cannot do and have an offseason to adjust the defense for him.

As for Evans, I don't think he's worth 3m a year.

I'm, inclined to say let Evans walk just to give some of the younger guys (Jackson, Buzbee) on our team a chance. I'd rather that than overpay for his services.

I agree with this 100%.

We have seen what Evans can do and he is what he has been. He is a decent role player/ depth guy and a starter in desperate times.

Paying him starter money is another step on the road to mediocrity.

Let's see what the young guys can do.

Agreed...If we sign him back cheap, great. If he gets a big contract in FA, we get a higher compensatory draft pick. I have a feeling we are going to need all the draft picks we can get (since we value the draft so much) to fill all the holes. 4 Draft picks and a back up OL/DL and a starting LB in FA will not fix the Skins' problems.

Archived