Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WJLA-7 Video: Bobby Mitchell Talking About Clinton Portis

CrypticVillain

Which player do you want the Skins to sign?  

219 members have voted

1. 1. Which player do you want the Skins to sign?

• DeAngelo Hall
    • Julius Peppers
    • Other player (please post in thread who)

First allow me to apologize for starting yet another Portis thread. :doh:

But Bobby Mitchell is discussing his thoughts on Portis.

Link:Football Hall of Famer Bobby Mitchell Discusses Portis

For those who can't see the video, Mitchell is basically stating that there are two kinds of running backs. There is a 1 and a 2. A "1" running back is a back that you can run your gameplan through every week. A "2" back is someone you can't run your offense through. But he also said that the thing that can turn Portis to that 1 back is winning. He kind of contradicted his self with that but whatever.

I know I am not crazy, but wasn't there a RB who was claimed as the best of all time, but yet his team only got to a conference championship game once. I am not comparing Portis to Barry, but a running back can't win games by his self. So I am going to respectfully disagree with Bobby Mitchell on this one.

I think he's right in the sense that for as good as he is (or supposed to be), and as much as he is being paid, he should have more wins and lead us to championships. He is absolutely right on that. I'm sure CP would also agree with him on that fact. You play the game to win, not for personal stats or money.

I think he's right in the sense that for as good as he is (or supposed to be), and as much as he is being paid, he should have more wins and lead us to championships. He is absolutely right on that. I'm sure CP would also agree with him on that fact. You play the game to win, not for personal stats or money.

Well each time the rest of team even remotely played up to a decent level, Portis has dominated and carried us to victories.

End of 2005, End of 2007, Beginning of 2008.

I think he has done as much as he can as far as being a RB. Sure he could break some long runs, but he has really been our entire offense since 2004.

Clinton Portis is a healthier version of Gilbert Arenas. He has the name recognition and when at 100% makes enough plays to keep his name the media. But when you discuss the best of the best vis a vis what he is making in terms of salary, you have to scratch your head when it comes to both Portis and Arenas.

Neither is a franchise player who should be topping your payroll.

Clinton Portis is a healthier version of Gilbert Arenas. He has the name recognition and when at 100% makes enough plays to keep his name the media. But when you discuss the best of the best vis a vis what he is making in terms of salary, you have to scratch your head when it comes to both Portis and Arenas.

And people will take this and say "YOUR A CP HATER BLAH BLAH BLAH"

But this assessment is true. It's not CP's fault about the amount he gets paid. Everyone saw the same resume on film, and the Skins chose to pay him like that. That's why he gets the criticism he does, because is supposed to be "the guy" and outsiders of the organization look at him as such based on name. But if you don't win, it means nothing. CP is the type of player will end his career as a "solid player" if he does not win a championship, but will potentially be a Hall of Famer if he does win one.

I'm not sayin he aint good. But he won't be one of "those guys" until he wins games in the playoffs. If he plays like "end of 2007 or end of 2005" in "end of january/ early february", then he'll be worth every cent.

Like I said, I believe it has a lot more to do with the rest of the team than him.

Damn that is a good comparison. I know it has been times with both Gilbert and CP when I been like DAMN!!! in a good way. But there has also been times when I have been like damn, what the hell are you doing.

Well, I didn't hear the comments, but I don't think they're calling Portis a "non-winner." It seems like Mitchell was saying that he doesn't fit Zorn's system. If Joe Gibbs was still our coach, we could definitely run our system through him. As it stands right now, we need a lighter, more agile, and better pass-catching back in the backfield.

Like I said, I believe it has a lot more to do with the rest of the team than him.

Exactly right.

Any runningback can only do so much in "leading" his team at any time, let alone the playoffs. If he's got a suspect offensive line in front of him (which he does) and crap wide receivers around him (except for Santana) and a passing game that is up and down, what exactly can he do?

Hate to bring it up but I will.

John Riggins.

"Mr. January"

The man who had 6 straight 100 yard games in the playoffs.

Money right?

Well what exactly did he do prior to the Hogs being formed in front of him?

What did he do prior to Joe Theismann blossoming into a top tier QB?

Not much.

Runningbacks more than any other "skill" position depend on the rest of the offense around them to be their most effective.

As has been mentioned, even one of the greats of all time (Barry Sanders) couldn't escape the fact that he had a weak team around him. Imagine Barry Sanders running in Dallas in the 90's. All this nonsense as to "who is better Barry or Emmitt" would cease immediately.

I don't know exactly what Bobby is talking about, could Portis be better? Sure, but that goes for just about all RB's in the league today. If Portis didn't care about winning for the team he would have said the hell with it when he was hurt rather than coming out every game.

As others have said the last couple of games in the 2005 and 2007 season he played as if they were playoff games, hell that Eagles game he carried us in.

I think Portis is a bit overrated by many Redskins fans. He does give 100% every time he is in the game. He is an excellent pass blocker as a running back and has great awareness. He is pretty solid at catching out of the backfield. He is tough and runs hard.

But as a pure running back, he is average. He can't make the cuts he once did. He doesn't have the break away speed he once did. He is still a very good back, just not AS good as many would like to believe.

I would certainly say that we can not taylor the offense around him.

Portis' production should be directly attributed to the coaching staff. these days, coaches are annointed the "genius" title by virtue of being in the,position. every coach hired these days was some type of guru at some aspect of the game.

Good coaches, no matter the sport, no how to adapt their approach to the personnel they ahve in place. If you have a smashmouth personnel, yet you are of a finess background, a good coach will incorporate aspects of his finess scheme into the the smashmouth scheme his personnel is best suited to run until his finess scheme becomes the dominant trait of the team. It may take time, but personnel is turned-over constantly.

Look at the Vikes, Childress was with Andy Reid and throwing the ball 40+ times a game in Philly; when he went the vikes and got AP he didn't completely ditch his scheme. Instead, he catered it to the strength of the stud RB.

So Portis isnt one of the best backs because we dont win? Then who is the best back in the NFL? What has LT won? What about Adrian Peterson? How bout Larry Johnson? Come on if you cant see that the reason we dont win is because we have had a conservative offense since 04 then your blind as Stevie Wonder. And maybe Portis doesnt get the big runs is because he changed his whole style of running since he came to the skins. Its not his fault that the coaches want him to run straight up the middle against 8 and 9 in the box. What do you expect from him? Especially when we act like we are scared to throw more than 10 yards down the field. Come on people try to learn a lil about football before you make a fool of yourself.

Bobby Mitchell and Riggens are just grumpy old men who's glory is fading further and further away every time CP touches the Ball. He is the Man!!! He has a full skill set and is tuff as nails!!! He is the entire offense for this team. He carries this team. We may not have one a super bowl with him yet but he is the only reason we have one the games we have! with our crap for QB and receivers other teams pack the box and play against CP and he still goes for huge numbers, again with the most offensive offensive line around and no passing atack to even distract the defense. The rookie recievers stink so far and El and moss are too small of targets for wild throwing (always pressured) Campbell. Moss also drops every other ball when he's not injured!

Archived