Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Grimm Fairy Tale

BigRedskinDaddy

Yesterday the Pro Football Hall of Fame announced it's class of 2009 inductees. It is a strong class that includes such luminaries as Bruce Smith, Derrick Thomas and Bob Hayes, among others. What this group does not have, however, is a player who spent either all or a fairly significant part of his playing career in D.C. Outside of Smith, no one in this new class so much as played one single snap for the Burgundy and Gold.

Once again, no Hogs made the final list.

Once again, Joey T., Gary Clark and Ken Harvey were deemed unworthy.

For one more year, at least, Mssrs. Grimm, Jacoby, Lachey, May, Theismann, Clark and Harvey are on the outside looking in. For one more year each of these worthy candidates must wait a little longer in hopes of making it into the NFL'a most exclusive fraternity. For one more year these former Redskins must look in their mirrors and ask the question, "was it all enough? Did I do enough?"

Nevermind their combined fourteen Super Bowl rings. Put aside their 21 overall Pro Bowl selections. Throw out their ten total1st Team All-Pro nominations. Completely discount their eighty cumulative seasons of playing the most physically arduous sport at very high levels in the toughest league there is.

Take away all those accolades, throw them all out the window...and each one of those men deserves a place amongst their legendary peers anyway. Period. No ifs, ands or buts.

In a perfect world, anyway.

I'm not blind; as loyal as I am to all current and former Redskins players, alive or dead, I still realize that some of those names are more deserving of a bust than others. In all honesty, a couple of them should consider themselves fortunate to have even made a HOF ballot, much less make the Hall itself. And two in particular, former linemates Grimm and Jacoby, should by all rights, by anyone's criteria, have already been voted in.

That those two original Hogs are deserving is not the question.

Whether they ever receive their due is.

Sadly, if they haven't by now they most likely will not. Every year they are left out, every year more players become eligible, lessens their chances that much more. The farther we get from their glory days on the field, the less great they seem to the voters they must depend on. In a world full of injustices and unnecessary hardships this sits way, way down on the list of That Which Should Not Be...but it is a travesty nonetheless.

click link for rest of story

http://yourdaddysredskins.blogspot.com/

Nice read and props for mentioning Ken Harvey. Someday the Hogs will get there due. I think people overlook the individual and kind of see what they did as a whole. Sometimes there are more important things than pro bowl selections and that if they want to go by that. Riggins and Theismann and even Monk wouldn't have had the careers they had if it were not for the contributions of Grimm and Jacoby and others. If people would think about that. They say offensive lineman don't have numbers, those numbers say it all. Those super bowl rings say it all. Grimm in 2010

I don't know why they mention Theismann in that article.

Like he would ever be seriously considered.

Compare his stats to Aikman. He played on an average team most of his career, wasn't even the full time starter until his 6th season as well. He was the 1983 NFL MVP. How many HOF QB's were never the NFL MVP?

I don't think he should get in either, he only had 2 outstanding seasons but he put up good overall numbers comparable to a guy who it only took 1 try to get in the HOF and he played in a tougher era for QB's without 10 years on a star filled offense.

Anyway, I think the HOF is overrated. It's more "right place/right time" than "WOW, this dude is the best ever" except for a few exceptions like Jim Brown, LT, and maybe Rice.

Nice read and props for mentioning Ken Harvey. Someday the Hogs will get there due. I think people overlook the individual and kind of see what they did as a whole. Sometimes there are more important things than pro bowl selections and that if they want to go by that. Riggins and Theismann and even Monk wouldn't have had the careers they had if it were not for the contributions of Grimm and Jacoby and others. If people would think about that. They say offensive lineman don't have numbers, those numbers say it all. Those super bowl rings say it all. Grimm in 2010

Very kind, my friend. Thank you. I agree with you completely -- there would be no offensive stars in football, period, without the big uglies doing yeoman work up front.

<sigh>

Someday perhaps at least ONE of the greatest offensive line to ever play the game will make it into Canton. Until then...

I don't know why they mention Theismann in that article.

Like he would ever be seriously considered.

If by 'article' you meant my piece on the latest crop of HOF'ers, I mentioned Joey T. because he was on the ballot and of course is a former Redskin...

right before I went on to say I don't really believe ALL of those ex-Skins turned away are HOF-worthy.

But it would be nice to see 'em in there anyway - ;)

I want to see the senior committe vote in Chris Hanburger. It is a crime he is not in the HOF

Games played 187

Interceptions 19

Touchdowns 5

Stats at NFL.com

Career highlights and awards

9x Pro Bowl selection (1966-69, 1972-76)

4x Associated Press First-team All-Pro selection (1969, 1972, 1973, 1975)

1x Associated Press Second-team All-Pro selection (1974)

1972 NFL 101 NFC Defensive Player of the Year

Tom

At the risk of swelling your ego to the size of those bikes you ride around on BRD, another excellent read from a someone who's views I always take time out to read, and thoroughly enjoy so doing.

And rather than go in to a rant at yet another insult from the HoF committee on the greatest O-Line to ever suit up to play this game, bar NONE; I shall just sigh long and hard and bemoan the fact there's a whole lot of haters out there. :(

Hail.

I want to see the senior committe vote in Chris Hanburger. It is a crime he is not in the HOF

Games played 187

Interceptions 19

Touchdowns 5

Stats at NFL.com

Career highlights and awards

9x Pro Bowl selection (1966-69, 1972-76)

4x Associated Press First-team All-Pro selection (1969, 1972, 1973, 1975)

1x Associated Press Second-team All-Pro selection (1974)

1972 NFL 101 NFC Defensive Player of the Year

Tom

I completely agree. I just found out something else that is really bad Larry Brown isn't in the HOF. As long as it took Monk to get in & the fact that Larry Brown, Chris Hanburger, Pat Fischer, Jerry Smith, Russ Grimm, Joe Jacoby, Dave Butz, & Gray Clark aren't in the HOF. Makes me think that there is a media bias against the Washington Redskins. If you ask me those clowns that vote for the HOF every year need to be removed. They should be voted in by their peers, the players & coaches they played with & against. The senoir committee should be kept to get players in that have been wrongly passed over for so many years that there are very few of their peers still alive.

Out of that list honestly I think Russ Grimm will be the only one to get in. I feel like next year he will. Theismann was a hell of a quarterback. But it does really hurt him that he spent time in the CFL and time not starting here. If he had been in the nfl all those years yeah he would. And there were years were he was the best in the league and unfortunately the way his career ended, he didn't have the couple more years he needed to pad his stats to get in. But yeah I wish he was. Chris Hanburger should definitely be.

Sadly, if they haven't by now they most likely will not. Every year they are left out, every year more players become eligible, lessens their chances that much more. The farther we get from their glory days on the field, the less great they seem to the voters they must depend on. In a world full of injustices and unnecessary hardships this sits way, way down on the list of That Which Should Not Be...but it is a travesty nonetheless.

Dont lose hope, I believe that one day they will get in. Each year they have older players make it in like Bob Hayes this year. The problem with the hall selection is they aren't using the numbers they are given. If they are allowed to vote in 7 they should vote in 7, not 6. They will get past the stars of the 90's and then circle the wagons and pick up the straggelers that were left behind like they did with Monk last season. Not that I agreed with making him wait as long as they did but that showed to me that the Hall voters don't look at the accomplishments of the Redskins 80's teams with the same regard as other dynastys so they will make our players wait longer then others to get in but it also shows that with persistance our guys will get in one day. We need to rally around Grimm the way we rallied around Monk and force the hall to let him in. Who's going to take up the charge? That's the question on my mind

At the risk of swelling your ego to the size of those bikes you ride around on BRD, another excellent read from a someone who's views I always take time out to read, and thoroughly enjoy so doing.

And rather than go in to a rant at yet another insult from the HoF committee on the greatest O-Line to ever suit up to play this game, bar NONE; I shall just sigh long and hard and bemoan the fact there's a whole lot of haters out there. :(

Hail.

Thank you, brother. Rest assured, I screw up much more than necessary on a daily basis to ever let my ego approach HD-size. And I'm with you all the way on the HOF and it's politics.

Dont lose hope, I believe that one day they will get in. Each year they have older players make it in like Bob Hayes this year. The problem with the hall selection is they aren't using the numbers they are given. If they are allowed to vote in 7 they should vote in 7, not 6. They will get past the stars of the 90's and then circle the wagons and pick up the straggelers that were left behind like they did with Monk last season. Not that I agreed with making him wait as long as they did but that showed to me that the Hall voters don't look at the accomplishments of the Redskins 80's teams with the same regard as other dynastys so they will make our players wait longer then others to get in but it also shows that with persistance our guys will get in one day. We need to rally around Grimm the way we rallied around Monk and force the hall to let him in. Who's going to take up the charge? That's the question on my mind

Very good suggestion, and I'm inclined to agree. It is starting to look like that may be just the thing to force these knuckleheads to get their heads on straight about Russ, and also Jacoby IMHO.

Archived