Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sirius to raise fees

USS Redskins

This came out last week, so I dont know if anyone posted but its just another nail in the coffin for me... Basically they are now charging to listen online and 2nd subscriptions are going up - this after they promised to not raise rates during the merger. Freaking liars.

You can avoid the increase by paying for several years upfront... very easy to do in this economy.

Report: Sirius XM To Raise Feestrans.gifJanuary 22, 2009

Sirius XM Radio is reportedly planning to raise some rates later this year, to help the satcaster chip away at its mounting debt troubles. While keeping its main subscription rates unchanged was a condition of the merger of XM and Sirius, other fees are set to increase as of March 11.

A customer service representative for the satcaster has told Reuters that users with multiple accounts will begin paying $9 per extra account, an increase from the current $7 price. And subscribers who listen online for free currently will now be charged $3/month. Users will reportedly be able to defer the price increases if they upgrade to a long-term contract extension or purchase a "lifetime subscription."

As part of the merger agreement with the FCC, the satcasters agreed to freeze the price of its basic $13/month subscription, along with other packages.

According to Reuters, Sirius XM is looking at approximately $1 billion total in debt in 2009.

http://www.fmqb.com/Article.asp?id=1121539

(#&$#&@!#!!!!!

I am already pissed bc I was told if I got a Sirius radio I could listen to all NFL and MLB games if I had the sport package well guess what NO DICE ON THE MLB I am SOOOO MAD....I didn't even want the freakin NFL ones that badly I watch all the Skins games at home....LIARS!

I've never felt the need for Sirius or XM

I use Yahoo's launchcast for my music,, 30 bucks a year, and man oh man is it good.

As far as sports talk goes,, I've grown bored with it. They don't ever tell me anything (beyond breaking news) that I don't already know. Listening to a player interview is an exercise in repetition.. they ALL say the same thing, over and over and over again. Very rarely does anyone do an interview with someone in sports that results in anything noteworthy, and if they do, well that becomes news and is carried by everyone.

Listening to Pat Kirwin or Adam Schein give me their opinions on the games and the goings on,,, ridiculous. they don't know anything more than a lot of football fans I know (that is all they are, really), and they're right about as often as any other shmuck when it comes to "breaking down" a game.

People say... "but.. but they're INSIDERS! They KNOW people!"

They know people who tell them nothing. Oh, hey,, Mike Tomlin knows Pat Kirwin, so he'll give HIM the inside scoop on the Steelers gameplan to the Super Bowl! Nah,, he'll give him the same pat answer he'd give me if I asked him on the street.

I did a cartoon about it one time showing all the predictions of the so called experts at ESPN from the previous year,,, and they were off by miles and miles... just like any other stiff you talk to.

Here it is, if anyone wants to see.

So, I really don't see the need for it. If i drove a lot every day I'd most likely buy it, but since i don't..

~Bang

Uh... It's a service... It's a good service... If it's worth it to you, you should pay the extra-cost. If it's not, feel free to drop it.

Very true. But when Sirius Merged with XM the President said he would not raise rates - we would pay no more for Satellite radio after the merger than we do now - at least for 3 years.

Then they decide to raise rates. It's bull$hit -and its a money grab because they are on the verge of bankruptcy and they want people to pay upfront now for 1, 2 or 3 year packages - several hundred dollars minimum and they might not even be in business in a year.

It's a crap move that will cost them some customers.

I use Yahoo's launchcast for my music,, 30 bucks a year, and man oh man is it good.

As far as sports talk goes,, I've grown bored with it. They don't ever tell me anything (beyond breaking news) that I don't already know. Listening to a player interview is an exercise in repetition.. they ALL say the same thing, over and over and over again. Very rarely does anyone do an interview with someone in sports that results in anything noteworthy, and if they do, well that becomes news and is carried by everyone.

Listening to Pat Kirwin or Adam Schein give me their opinions on the games and the goings on,,, ridiculous. they don't know anything more than a lot of football fans I know (that is all they are, really), and they're right about as often as any other shmuck when it comes to "breaking down" a game.

People say... "but.. but they're INSIDERS! They KNOW people!"

They know people who tell them nothing. Oh, hey,, Mike Tomlin knows Pat Kirwin, so he'll give HIM the inside scoop on the Steelers gameplan to the Super Bowl! Nah,, he'll give him the same pat answer he'd give me if I asked him on the street.

I did a cartoon about it one time showing all the predictions of the so called experts at ESPN from the previous year,,, and they were off by miles and miles... just like any other stiff you talk to.

Here it is, if anyone wants to see.

So, I really don't see the need for it. If i drove a lot every day I'd most likely buy it, but since i don't..

~Bang

I only get it for Howard Stern but I am re-thinking if he is worth over $25/month to be able to listen to him easily (1 car radio, 1 home based and internet).

Sirius is not worth it only for the music and I dont need NFL games since I get the package.

Once Stern leaves, so do I.

I can see why people love it who drive allot. There is allot of stations and entertainment, I just have time for Stern - and then, I dont have a whole lot for that.

Very true. But when Sirius Merged with XM the President said he would not raise rates - we would pay no more for Satellite radio after the merger than we do now - at least for 3 years.

Then they decide to raise rates. It's bull$hit -and its a money grab because they are on the verge of bankruptcy and they want people to pay upfront now for 1, 2 or 3 year packages - several hundred dollars minimum and they might not even be in business in a year.

It's a crap move that will cost them some customers.

With there stock at 10 cents and hemoraging millions of dollars a month they have to try something. I love Stern and the commercial free music but even a small price increase make me think if its worth it.

I only get it for Howard Stern but I am re-thinking if he is worth over $25/month to be able to listen to him easily (1 car radio, 1 home based and internet).

Sirius is not worth it only for the music and I dont need NFL games since I get the package.

Once Stern leaves, so do I.

I can see why people love it who drive allot. There is allot of stations and entertainment, I just have time for Stern - and then, I dont have a whole lot for that.

Yeah, I do miss Howard Stern on terrestrial radio. I'm a big fan,, and I thought it was actually funnier when they had to dance around the FCC. It made them more creative.

Regular radio is such garbage anymore. Music, you better like the same songs over and over, it's all you get,, most talk shows are boring, or so far one sided that only the hardcores of that side can stomach it, and sports radio,, well i mentioned that above.

Since all new cars will soon be outfitted with USB ports.. podcasting may be the next big wave. At least I hope it is. Pretty soon you'll even be able to receive internet transmissions while driving, and then it gets interesting.

~Bang

Is it as fun as "What Did Dick Say?"

~Bang

I am not familiar with your Dick games Bang. :D

The Rick Game (i think they called it "Name That Rick") is basically taking any beat/chord from a song and making all the notes sound like the word "rick."

When they did the song from Rocky, i was dying.

Good, stupid fun. Just my speed. :dunce:

The only reason that I have it is to get decent radio in the car. Certainly at home over the internet I can get much better content, but it is really the only game in town for your vehicle (unless you believe in HD Radio).

But, even then, with Sirius nerfing most of the stations since the takeover, I'm starting to believe that it isn't worth my money anymore, that I'd just be better off listening to my MP3 player. Fact is, the genres I'm interested in have either been removed or are considered 'classic rock' and don't broadcast much in new content. That, in my eyes, is the whole point of radio. Otherwise, I can listen to my own content in my car.

Course, even if I cancel, my wife probably will keep her's because there are no decent classical stations in the area anymore that get good reception.

Archived